Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

Large paper clip undone = best nail cleaner :cool:

I paid $14 or something crazy for what was supposedly the best around on ebay (the state of my nails did justify that) but its shit. I'm quite pissed off now that I know they could have just put a 'handle' on a paperclip end for a far superior product. Their flat screwdriver tip thing is too thick to get right under.

I've also found the the lids on plastic pens (the long bit sticking out from the cap) work quite well.

I've found that a staple extractor is good for cleaning nails too :cool:

What foundation did you use over the top?

I went to the bare minerals counter in Selfridges and was a bit underwhelmed by the staff, although it was a Saturday afternoon so they'd probably had enough by then. Got told I was medium beige although I thought I'd be a light :confused: got given a sample of the pressed version and wore it out last night. :) will try it another few times before I go back and buy.....

They told me I was medium too and I'm definitely a light. I came out orange with acne still clearly visible.

They told me I was medium too and I'm definitely a light. I came out orange with acne still clearly visible.

I remember ordering a sample kit a few years ago from bare minerals in the US. They don't seem to do anything like it in the uk. :(

She askd me if I wanted natural or glowing (light would have been glowing). I said natural :confused:

Does anyone here use the Garnier roll-on anti dark-circles thing? It's OK - not amazing - but it seems to last FOREVER. I use it every day because I have horrible dark circles and it never seems to run out. :confused:

Has anyone tried the W7 bb cream. I want to start wearing make up for work again after six months of looking like the harassed returnee from maternity leave but I want a really simple regime. Oh and cheap if doable. Would you use primer under bb cream? I have pretty dry skin do I forget bb cream and go for foundation. I'm thinking primer bb cream lippy and mascara. I don't need to look that good!

Has anyone tried the W7 bb cream. I want to start wearing make up for work again after six months of looking like the harassed returnee from maternity leave but I want a really simple regime. Oh and cheap if doable. Would you use primer under bb cream? I have pretty dry skin do I forget bb cream and go for foundation. I'm thinking primer bb cream lippy and mascara. I don't need to look that good!
What's bb cream?

Beauty balm, or blemish balm. Mean to be a moisturiser, concealer, primer and foundation in one.
I've used one before - really liked it - but it did dry my forehead horribly. I wondered if it's the brand or the product that does that?

I didn't much like the BB creams I tried. Clinique CC cream, on the other hand, is fab.

Anything that gets rid of spots? I've got really spotty in the last few days :( I've been using tea tree oil (Body Shop) but it's doing nothing.

Estée Lauder doublewear foundation works well for my skin type and lasts all day long. Surprisingly I got a good colour match too.
Doublewear eyeliner is crap for me, Mac pearlglide is fab and even lasts through a sneaky afternoon nap!

Anything that gets rid of spots? I've got really spotty in the last few days :( I've been using tea tree oil (Body Shop) but it's doing nothing.
What kind of spots?
Generally speaking Mario Badescu stuff is very very good for spots. I use most of the spot products (drying mask, healing mask, buffering lotion and overnight treatment) and it works for me.
If you can't get it (I buy it online from BeautyBay) then dermalogica clearing lotion is good and Kiehls blue herbal spot treatment is good and doesn't dry out the skin around the spot IME.

Calamine lotion can also help to calm and heal larger areas of spots (use as a mask).

Last edited:

Not tried primer underneath. I've found primers can react badly if you use a different brand of foundation on top...but maybe it's just the ones I've tried?

I like the maybelline dream fresh BB cream but it's really runny! The l'oreal BB cream was really greasy.

I've run out now and might go back to No 7 tinted moisturiser unless they tempt me with the BB version....expensive though. :hmm:

Yeah, I've been trying to put maybelline BB cream or loreal true match liquid over W7 primer and it's not working. Makes my face look entirely made of flakey skin.

(I think I'm actually combination and a bit sensitive. Fuck knows. and I've gone spotty which is either hormones or karma for being a smug faced teen /whinge).

Well after me praising GOSH BB cream to anyone within earshot, and simultaneously getting quite spotty, I put 2 and 2 together and ditched the BB cream.

:facepalm:

I use Murad- is the only thing that reliably clears my skin (other than prescription stuff like zineryt). Since my skin calmed down a bit I only use the cleansing wash (and on the spot treatment if any spots survive the onslaught :)). They do a trial pack on their acne stuff so you can see if it works for you- it seems to be miraculous or useless depending on the person with no middle ground

I use soap. Recently Dove which seems compatible with my skin. But rarely on my face. My face gets cleaned a bit when I shave and a bit with warm water but not normally with soap.

Hmm this thread is making me think. I've recently been using primer and then BB cream and my skin has gone all spotty AND flaky. Horrid. I've been trying all sorts, from sudocrem to tea tree oil to sauna and masks but nothing's really working :(
I'm 31...too old for spots ya.

yeah, skip the primer!
And btw - try being 36 if you think 31's too old for it!! I think it's the change in weather that's having a bad effect on skin.

Ok primer is going in my box of random creams and things.
Yeah you're probably right, the change in my skin does seem to have coincided with the heating being turned on. And my normal moisturiser running out, can't face spending £10 on it here as it only costs half that in England.

My skin has gone beserk since all the heating went on :( Massive sore red spots all over the gaff.
Yep me too. I know I'm getting older anyway, but I fucking SWEAR I look oldererererer in winter than I do the rest of the year, and all thanks to heating and blisteringly cold weather :mad::(

Am also getting spots round my mouth, lovely. Put some teatree on them - ended up with a burned lip :mad:

Back
Top Bottom