Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beating the Fascists: The authorised history of Anti-Fascist Action

TC this (JRs recollection) is the same as mine mate .. however it is the case RA did work later with Searchlight which in my opinion was a mistake, of which the 1991 Kensington Library debacle showed most clearly imho

Not true. At the 86 conference RA voted against the CW suspension. When the vote went against CW, the DAM and RA walked out. Not just out of the conference but out of AFA. AFA did nothing for 6 months. After CW was cleared, RA returned. It was not until RA took the reins in 89 in opposition to Searchlight that Dam returned. CW never did.

TC this (JRs recollection) is the same as mine mate .. however it is the case RA did work later with Searchlight which in my opinion was a mistake, of which the 1991 Kensington Library debacle showed most clearly imho

I have no agenda here, but, given the fact that Searchlight refused to put forward any evidence against Class War, to ignore this fact and the assumptions that can be reasonably extrapolated from it (i.e. that Searchlight were not playing with a straight bat), it beggared belief that RA worked with Searchlight on any basis after this. I accept the assertion that information from Searchlight was ever after carefully filtered. The issue remains though that an impression was created by RA that, by working with Searchlight after the smear on Class War, the accusations made by Class war against Searchlight were not valid.

I look forward to reading the book. is the launch going to be at the bookfair? It will be interesting if it is, to see how many of the people involved in AFA still have hair/have put on six stone etc. ;)

I have no agenda here, but, given the fact that Searchlight refused to put forward any evidence against Class War, to ignore this fact and the assumptions that can be reasonably extrapolated from it (i.e. that Searchlight were not playing with a straight bat), it beggared belief that RA worked with Searchlight on any basis after this. I accept the assertion that information from Searchlight was ever after carefully filtered. The issue remains though that an impression was created by RA that, by working with Searchlight after the smear on Class War, the accusations made by Class war against Searchlight were not valid.

I look forward to reading the book. is the launch going to be at the bookfair? It will be interesting if it is, to see how many of the people involved in AFA still have hair/have put on six stone etc. ;)

Just some clarification: between 1985 and 1988 Red Action has just two votes on an AFA steering committee which was made up of a variety of affiliated groups regional and national: NMP, CARF, Refugee Forum etc. In other words the vote to proceed with the suspension against CW was not the only one RA delegates lost. Indeed more often than not in the later stages the voting would end up 18 -2 as a matter of routine. So after the inquiry cleared CW, the choice facing RA was the same one facing CW and the DAM: walk away or agitate for a more democratic structure from within. On a broader note, in terms of anti-fascism you can't always pick your friends, this has I think been true of anti-fascism generally. And as with a partnership in any other field, individual components take out as well as put in. In other words it is necessary to scrutinize both debit and credit aspects of the balance sheet before deciding whether the alliance is worth the candle. Indisputably anti-fascism would at various times have been weaker without the Searchlight input. At other times ...well, the indictments are well catalogued already (though there is at least one serious jaw dropper in the book). Post re-launch in 1989 Searchlight were out. That is not to say there was no collaboration on specific projects after that, but it was very much a case by case basis. All contact ceased in 1993.

Freedom Press have made the bookfair their target - but as for the official AFA launch we should know better later in the week.

Just some clarification: between 1985 and 1988 Red Action has just two votes on an AFA steering committee which was made up of a variety of affiliated groups regional and national: NMP, CARF, Refugee Forum etc. In other words the vote to proceed with the suspension against CW was not the only one RA delegates lost. Indeed more often than not in the later stages the voting would end up 18 -2 as a matter of routine. So after the inquiry cleared CW, the choice facing RA was the same one facing CW and the DAM: walk away or agitate for a more democratic structure from within. On a broader note, in terms of anti-fascism you can't always pick your friends, this has I think been true of anti-fascism generally. And as with a partnership in any other field, individual components take out as well as put in. In other words it is necessary to scrutinize both debit and credit aspects of the balance sheet before deciding whether the alliance is worth the candle. Indisputably anti-fascism would at various times have been weaker without the Searchlight input. At other times ...well, the indictments are well catalogued already (though there is at least one serious jaw dropper in the book). Post re-launch in 1989 Searchlight were out. That is not to say there was no collaboration on specific projects after that, but it was very much a case by case basis. All contact ceased in 1993.

Freedom Press have made the bookfair their target - but as for the official AFA launch we should know better later in the week.

i'm sure the colours on that one are different - the last one we seen the font was more creamy (this one is more white) and the background was more maroony (that one is more red)

oi belboid, even if you're factually in the right in this thread you come across as a right dickhead. that is all.

I'm looking forward to this. I found No Retreat an enjoyable read. Is this to be the London AFA version?

it's certainly not a version of No Retreat!

It has a national coverage based on many contributors, covers the whole period along with a substantial pre-history and has a consistent narrative throughout. It's importance is just as much for its contemporary relevance and message as it is for the social history it tells

the type size is also readable

It has a national coverage based on many contributors, covers the whole period along with a substantial pre-history and has a consistent narrative throughout. It's importance is just as much for its contemporary relevance and message as it is for the social history it tells

Well No Retreat wasn't a 'history of' particularly. Enjoyable read though.

Fuck, I did post on the wrong fucking thread! Gah. Point still stands tho...

Indeed it does... do feel free to post it on the other one. There may well be some(secret) number of posters required to tell him this before his system can over-ride Mr Angry

He's generally all right though. A union (trades) man. I guess there's a an attitude here that when someone with a low post count starts saying things that can be remotely construed as right wing they get a bit of a sweat on about it because the radar is on if you know what I mean.

It better be good, it's taken long enough to put together!

Interestingly I was reading Searchlies' book 70 Years of Resitance, and I haven't found a single reference to AFA, it might as well not have existed. Not that I expected any better and I suppose it's better not to mention them than slag them off but still...

Back
Top Bottom