Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC presenter Huw Edwards suspended over paying for sexual pics.

I can see a certain logic to it.
if the 16 or 17 year old has some fun that's a one off event. once it's over it's over.
but by taking pictures or video those exists forever. there's an ongoing potential for harm. if those images are passed on to others, for example. so the law is (trying) to protect the adolescent from that harm.

but I think it mostly comes to if images end up in the hand of a pedo, they don't care whether those were originally taken with consent. and the law doesn't want to muddy the waters by allowing them a defence to argue if they have been creating images themselves.

I agree there is an ongoing potential for harm, but the problem is of course social media which is built on that sort of content.

I can see a certain logic to it.
if the 16 or 17 year old has some fun that's a one off event. once it's over it's over.
but by taking pictures or video those exists forever. there's an ongoing potential for harm. if those images are passed on to others, for example. so the law is (trying) to protect the adolescent from that harm.

but I think it mostly comes to if images end up in the hand of a pedo, they don't care whether those were originally taken with consent. and the law doesn't want to muddy the waters by allowing them a defence to argue if they have been creating images themselves.
if the images end up in the hands of a pedo surely they won't be all that interested because a 16/17 year old isn't the main interest of most pedos surely? I don't think we've done ourselves any favours stretching the definition of paedophilia from children to post-pubescent teenagers, let alone those over the age of consent!

Here's the wife's statement;

"In light of the recent reporting regarding the 'BBC Presenter' I am making this statement on behalf of my husband Huw Edwards, after what have been five extremely difficult days for our family.

"I am doing this primarily out of concern for his mental well-being and to protect our children.

"Huw is suffering from serious mental health issues. As is well documented, he has been treated for severe depression in recent years.

"The events of the last few days have greatly worsened matters, he has suffered another serious episode and is now receiving in-patient hospital care where he'll stay for the foreseeable future.

"Once well enough to do so, he intends to respond to the stories that have been published.

"To be clear Huw was first told that there were allegations being made against him last Thursday.

"In the circumstances and given Huw's condition I would like to ask that the privacy of my family and everyone else caught up in these upsetting events is respected.

"I know that Huw is deeply sorry that so many colleagues have been impacted by the recent media speculation. We hope this statement will bring that to an end."

Back
Top Bottom