Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC presenter Huw Edwards suspended over paying for sexual pics.

I choose my words carefully.

On top of everything else, as cupid_stunt says, the BBC themselves kind of gave it away today. I don't do twitter etc either.
A few people have said that the BBC said something which revealed who the presenter is, but I am not sure that is true, unless it is something I missed.

I have looked on twitter, so I know who everyone says it is, and it is certainly true that this person has not been on the BBC this week, and that they have not jumped on twitter to say it is not them. But I still didn't hear the BBC saying anything which would have revealed the name.

A few people have said that the BBC said something which revealed who the presenter is, but I am not sure that is true, unless it is something I missed.

I have looked on twitter, so I know who everyone says it is, and it is certainly true that this person has not been on the BBC this week, and that they have not jumped on twitter to say it is not them. But I still didn't hear the BBC saying anything which would have revealed the name.
Yup. I literally learned the name from this thread less than an hour ago. There’s no way I’d have guessed or noticed their absence from anything as I never watch that programme or any other like it.

I think libel laws need to move with the times a bit. I mean, it's fine for him to be named on foreign websites. Which we can all access. I know it's a legal minefield and I don't know they can really handle situations like this.

Of course there's always the possibility that "that photo" is faked... I mean we might all be squabbling over a shop job. So there's that in the mix as well. Something something simulacra something something Baudrillard. #intellectual

Victoria Derbyshire made a slight slip on Newsnight a couple of nights ago

Victoria Derbyshire made a slight slip on Newsnight a couple of nights ago

I did wonder if that was intentional. Likewise Nicky Campbell this morning. He didn't miss a beat though as he segued into his interview with the media defamation lawyer.

If the sun is adamant that it has seen the evidence then it is very unlike them not to name them. I have no idea what to think but expect there's a bit more to this. Possibly. Fuck knows it will all come out eventually I suspect.
I suspect there isn't any more to it, but that The Rag is trying to save face by not naming the presenter in the hope that it will turn out that something illegal did happen, and they would then be vindicated.

Playing the long game.

Well they do now. I personally thought that was just an obviously outrageously wrong lol post.
Not really, danny, because the name's now been deleted. Fair point I could have PM'd - I just didn't think of it, but he'd already been told by OU and responded by saying "I stand by it. Twerp" so it just looked like he didn't want to take it down.

Not really, danny, because the name's now been deleted. Fair point I could have PM'd - I just didn't think of it, but he'd already been told by OU and responded by saying "I stand by it. Twerp" so it just looked like he didn't want to take it down.
Because you knew the name that people think it is. I saw the post and still didn’t think I knew it.

The Whatsapp exchanges over on The Sun are pretty damning. I mean the kid (a different one), in amongst the love hearts and kisses asks whether he should apply to be on the BBC School News Report (which is only open to people under 16). I won't link to the rag.

The Whatsapp exchanges over on The Sun are pretty damning. I mean the kid (a different one), in amongst the love hearts and kisses asks whether he should apply to be on the BBC School News Report (which is only open to people under 16). I won't link to the rag.

Pah, them messaged are not bad. the hearts are sent when you like someones story.

Because you knew the name that people think it is. I saw the post and still didn’t think I knew it.
No I'm not on twitter and didn't know the name - anyone being named could cause the site problems, even worse if it wasn't the person being named everywhere else, and even even worse if it wasn't the person who actually did it (which I still don't think we know).

what about them? x

Haha, well, a man in his 60s who has never even met this young lad is signing off messages with kisses? So dodgy...

Bizarrely the third kid who eventually relented and let him come over to this house said all he wanted to do was to make tea. And then left. No funny business.

I think libel laws need to move with the times a bit. I mean, it's fine for him to be named on foreign websites. Which we can all access. I know it's a legal minefield and I don't know they can really handle situations like this.
I don't know whether it's fine it's just that the reach of the UK's courts does not reach beyond the UK. Twitter has no assets in the UK to be seized so paying attention to UK courts/politicians is optional as far its management are concerned.
Even if someone with enough moolah was prepared to sue Twitter in a US court to hand over posters details (and the First Amendment will get in the way), they might turn out to be in yet a third country.

I really don't know how someone can read the messages related to these latest allegations and consider them 'damning'.

Am increasingly with bimble on this. In the name of protecting young people this discourse is actually just infantilising them and denying them agency.

Lots of people asking why the Sun won't name him - I understand that it's due to recent legal rulings about privacy. But also I think the Sun is using this case to try to defeat those rulings - hyping it up to make it look ridiculous that he's not being named. Those privacy rulings are a threat to their business after all.

Back
Top Bottom