Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Barefoot trainers

BassJunkie

Clams on the half shell, and roller skates.
Hi,

Would anyone care to express an opinion on barefoot trainers?

I'm tempted to try them for a change. And slightly for hippy reasons, to feel Mother Earth beneath my feet.

However, it looks like the choice is spending twice what I may spend on some Adidas trainers, or paying for some that may be being drop shipped from Temu.

Have they changed your life, or left you with indifference?

I'm not thinking of using them for running, I've already got trainers for that, more the school run, pub etc

How can your feet be "bare" if you are wearing some kind of shoe?

They're not but the shoes aim to recreate that feeling - so they're light and have a very thin sole which in theory feels like bare feet but without your feet getting filthy and stuck full of pointy things.

For running they were a bit of a thing a few years ago but are definitely not in now. For other use though I'm not sure.

ETA: It's not about not having socks on! :D

Why do we need special shoes for not wearing socks? Have we not slippers? Did Flip Flop die in vain? That lowly peasant girl who dared defy the cobblers?
I got it wrong, apparently.
Anyway I had something similar once for going into the sea on holiday. Which made standing on rocks under the water slightly better than bare foot.

Reactions: PTK
They're not but the shoes aim to recreate that feeling - so they're light and have a very thin sole which in theory feels like bare feet but without your feet getting filthy and stuck full of pointy things.

For running they were a bit of a thing a few years ago but are definitely not in now. For other use though I'm not sure.

ETA: It's not about not having socks on! :D
Yeah, but what’s the point in buying something that feels like you have bare feet if you end up putting socks on? :D

From friends who've had them, they seem quite marmitey. Some love the lack of support and others hate it. . Not tempted myself

Yeah, but what’s the point in buying something that feels like you have bare feet if you end up putting socks on? :D

Hmm good question. :hmm:

On the running side of these, I heard on a podcast a while ago about a study they ran to test them. They found a small but statistically significant reduction in injury rates amongst the runners who used them. Which seems good right? Except it turned out that the reason for this was that they were so uncomfortable that they'd only run about half as many miles...

I run in very minimal trainers. They suit me well enough. Can get quite achy calfs while you get used to not having a thick heel.

I'm only just learning that these things exist and aren't a figure of speech meaning something like oxymoron or emperor's new clothes.

Thanks all, I think, given the response, I'll go for some cheap pair, and see what they're like. If they fall to bits then I won't have lost much.

Back
Top Bottom