Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Which trainer tribe do you belong to?

I wear...

• Total voters
I don’t actually know the brand of one of my favourite pairs of trainers cos there’s no logo on em

Oo! Off-brand trainers. Very fancy.

I’ve no idea what this “trainer tribe” stuff is either, I just put down the makes of the trainers I have.

I wear my cheapo HiTecs for the same reason - that is after all the Le Corbusian requirement of footwear - but they have the disadvantage of falling apart annoyingly quickly - but on the other hand I like the anti-consumerist vibe of trainers with the soles unpeeling that defeat anything less than adhesive that costs a third as much as a new pair and then goes hard in the tube before you can use it a second time.... and new ones glow in the dark ... and the static electricity :eek:

My size 13 feet mean I have a limited choice anyway ...

My need for serious exercise dictate I really do need a new pair because the unevenly worn-down soles start to defeat the object - and the park is no longer muddy ...

Last edited:
I just checked my email and it appears I ordered my Hi-Tec trainers in 2014, 2016 and 2017 but none since !
Retiring in 2020 is doubtless a factor . See also tee shirts. Some of the ones I still wear are now 15 years old.

I just checked my email and it appears I ordered my Hi-Tec trainers in 2014, 2016 and 2017 but none since !
Retiring in 2020 is doubtless a factor . See also tee shirts. Some of the ones I still wear are now 15 years old.

I still have a couple of t-shirts from when I was 14 in circulation. . . . 35 years old. Eep. I have plenty at the 15 year mark.
I did a clear out around 2002 where I ditched some of the more worn out or paint splattered t-shirts . . . it still upsets me to think about it.

I still have a couple of t-shirts from when I was 14 in circulation. . . . 35 years old. Eep. I have plenty at the 15 year mark.
I did a clear out around 2002 where I ditched some of the more worn out or paint splattered t-shirts . . . it still upsets me to think about it.
I've had cause to wonder what I would take to a new life in France...
Many pairs of pants are definitely not fit for customs inspection :D

My general rule of thumb is "if the holes can fit balls". The problem I always have is that I'll give them one last wash before putting them in the textile recycle . . . but after that they look like they are at least good for one more ride.

I usually get a couple of pairs of Walshes in the sale each year. They are sturdy, made in Bolton and I like the styles.

They do try and sell some of the top models as high end department store trainers mind. I got some tornadoes for £60 in the sale but they go for over £200 in some places.

Also have a couple of pairs of 'proper' Walshes with agressive tread for out on the hills.

Screenshot_20220423-075710.png

I have just made the transition from a lifetime of wearing adidas to sketchers.

The salesman gave me quite a good patter on the 'hyper pillars' sole...

They may not look anything special, but they are soooo comfortable..

View attachment 319645

I switched to Skechers a few years back, on the advice of Mrs Sas. My first pair, which are on my feet now were bought in 2018, and have been to Turkey twice, still in reasonable nick. I've been informed that a new pair are required for this year's holiday.

We had an aggressive clear out of clothes last year, with the decent bits being washed and donated. (Trousers seem to have undergone a shrinking process, very odd. :) ). The rest went to the rag bin. One of the items that went to the rag bin was a pair of shreddies that I'd had since before we got married. We were 46 years married last year. :oops: :eek::D

I switched to Skechers a few years back, on the advice of Mrs Sas. My first pair, which are on my feet now were bought in 2018, and have been to Turkey twice, still in reasonable nick. I've been informed that a new pair are required for this year's holiday.

I’ve owned two identical pairs and both ended up squeaking. :D

I've a pair of Addidas Gazelle that must be 15 years old. Still going strong.
I dont wear them often though and not in the rain...

:facepalm::):facepalm:

My requirement for non work trainers are usually - high top skate trainers, the bigger and chunkier with a fat tongue is what I'm after- normally Osirus or DC. I'm always looking for that pair that will match up to the fat tongued CONS that I bought in the late 80s early 90's.

However just as important but for very different reasons I also require functional trainers ( ones I'd never be seen dead in, in any other situation, apart from actual running which is unlikely) for work because of the steps and hours I clock up pacing the hospital corridors. I also choose gaudy colours to offset my grey :rolleyes: scrubs. Whereas in the community my shoes are likely to be black....maybe khaki, leopard print or oxblood.....but I'm not made of money...

I do spend big money on my work trainers though and it is a yearly cost.....which I think I can get a tax rebate on? Need to look into this.

Anyway my latest work trainers:
HOKA EVO Mafute
1105592-BPRD_2.jpg

My requirement for non work trainers are usually - high top skate trainers, the bigger and chunkier with a fat tongue is what I'm after- normally Osirus or DC. I'm always looking for that pair that will match up to the fat tongued CONS that I bought in the late 80s early 90's.

However just as important but for very different reasons I also require functional trainers ( ones I'd never be seen dead in, in any other situation, apart from actual running which is unlikely) for work because of the steps and hours I clock up pacing the hospital corridors. I also choose gaudy colours to offset my grey :rolleyes: scrubs. Whereas in the community my shoes are likely to be black....maybe khaki, leopard print or oxblood.....but I'm not made of money...

I do spend big money on my work trainers though and it is a yearly cost.....which I think I can get a tax rebate on? Need to look into this.

Anyway my latest work trainers:
HOKA EVO Mafute
View attachment 320181
Like ambulance crews, I get a clothes cleaning tax allowance of £60 PA, I think. They qualify because they are clothes provided by work.

About 20 pairs. Nearly half Adidas, a few each of Nike, Puma and Vans. Couple of the Adidas are colabs - Supreme and Gucci.

I used to be very much about the skater shoes - Airwalk, Vans, etc. I have wide feet and wear insoles for my flat feet and they tend to be pretty roomy.
I don't any more for two reasons. First, the quality of most of them has gone to shit. Airwalk is total rubbish, the only pair I still have that haven't fallen to bits are DCs.

The second reason is that I've discovered Asics GT-2000 and GT-4000. (The 4000 is sort of what the 2000 was several years ago, support-wise. The 2000 is much more neutral now)
These are the first shoes I've ever worn in my life where I don't need my orthotics in them. It's incredibly liberating, and it seems pretty unlikely that I'm ever going to buy a trainer that isn't a GT-4000 again.

I used to be very much about the skater shoes - Airwalk, Vans, etc. I have wide feet and wear insoles for my flat feet and they tend to be pretty roomy.
I don't any more for two reasons. First, the quality of most of them has gone to shit. Airwalk is total rubbish, the only pair I still have that haven't fallen to bits are DCs.

The second reason is that I've discovered Asics GT-2000 and GT-4000. (The 4000 is sort of what the 2000 was several years ago, support-wise. The 2000 is much more neutral now)
These are the first shoes I've ever worn in my life where I don't need my orthotics in them. It's incredibly liberating, and it seems pretty unlikely that I'm ever going to buy a trainer that isn't a GT-4000 again.
Big up, from a fellow GT-2000 wearer.

About 20 pairs. Nearly half Adidas, a few each of Nike, Puma and Vans. Couple of the Adidas are colabs - Supreme and Gucci.

OH yeah I got some Gucci as well. From TK Max. Some of the top has pealed off, which is annoying.

For a while as a youth, I wore size 11 white Hitechs. Which was rediculous, they were like boats. My feet are actually size 9. pfft.

Back
Top Bottom