Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Avoiding meat and dairy is ‘single biggest way’ to reduce your impact on Earth

Balance and/or to offer practical insight into agriculture from someone with over 20 years in the industry who now lectures in it at degree level.
Yet someone who is unable to formulate and present an actual opinion or offer any 'balance' about the most controversial - and increasingly dominant - aspect of modern farming.

What's the point of having an 'expert' who just prevaricates and makes excuses about the most pressing issues?

Yet someone who is unable to formulate and present an actual opinion or offer any 'balance' about the most controversial - and increasingly dominant - aspect of modern farming.

What's the point of having an 'expert' who just prevaricates and makes excuses about the most pressing issues?
I've consistently offered balance - the environmental impacts of agriculture (which is what this thread was about) are really quite complex.
It really isn't my fault that you appear utterly unable to grasp the complexities of it and just half read or don't read posts before spamming the thread.

There are several quite lengthy posts containing my opinion, but its not, nor ever will it be as simple as a global "just do this" solution
I'm always telling my students to remember that every farm is different - so it follows every landmass will be different and all will require different approaches to sustainability

Last edited:
..pepe...
Isn't that what little kids call having to go to the loo?

Sorry...what?
You said something about expensive alternatives to meat, I asked if you think that people in other countries who eat a loss less meat are buying expensive alternatives? Or maybe there are other options...

I don't think so...but you're entitled to your opinion.
I think food costs are a factor for people who live on lower incomes. Especially families.
I also think that there were massive incentives given by governments to farmers that rewarded expansion as opposed to conservation in tbe 1980s.
There has been a change here for sure and much of the change has been driven by farmers who want to do a better job of ensuring that animals and tbe environment are cared for and about.

Change that will effect a change in climate issues will HAVE to be driven from top down. Regulations and incentives will be needed.
It's not going to work just asking/ telling families to stop buying meat when alternatives are more expensive?

You must see that surely?
Who is telling or asking families to stop buying meat btw?

Pepe is that frog meme that got adopted by the far right. No idea what it has to do with a breaking bad character.

You said something about expensive alternatives to meat, I asked if you think that people in other countries who eat a loss less meat are buying expensive alternatives? Or maybe there are other options...
People who cant get meat in many parts of the world because they are very poor... for example people in rural areas in China who eat what they can.
It's not necessarily a satisfactory diet or indeed healthy.
The poorest people in the world eke out an existence constantly trying to find decent food sources. They are often left with plant food. Not necessarily calorifically substantial plants either. They would love to have meat in their diet. They celebrate with meat.

People who cant get meat in many parts of the world because they are very poor... for example people in rural areas in China who eat what they can.
It's not necessarily a satisfactory diet or indeed healthy.
The poorest people in the world eke out an existence constantly trying to find decent food sources. They are often left with plant food. Not necessarily calorifically substantial plants either. They would love to have meat in their diet. They celebrate with meat.
How about people in India who do have money, do you think they buy expensive meat alternatives?
It's possible to eat less meat and consume less dairy without expensive alternatives, wouldn't you agree?

On the same page...

How about people in India who do have money, do you think they buy expensive meat alternatives?
It's possible to eat less meat and consume less dairy without expensive alternatives, wouldn't you agree?

If you mean Hindus? They dont eat beef for religious reasons. They can eat other meats.

Found this quite an interesting read:

Most critical visions of cellular agriculture are dystopian: unaccountable corporate giants force-feeding a captive population with fake meat. Ironically, that describes the food system we already have. A world in which the factory-farmed nugget is replaced by the bioreactor-brewed nugget would be a monumental win for animals and the environment. If tied to progressive industrial and agricultural policy, it could also be a win for labour, public investment, land use and champions of sustainable agriculture. No, this would not be a one-shot, magic bullet solution to the many ills of food production; there is no panacea. But it’s a start. Chicken nuggets might represent everything that’s wrong with our current food system, but cellular nuggets might just help build a more sustainable future.

Spot on!

On the same page...

If you mean Hindus? They dont eat beef for religious reasons. They can eat other meats.
No
sorry for clumsy attempt, but you were claiming that some people can't afford the expensive alternatives to meat and I was trying to ask you if you think that was the only option and what do you think those in other countries where those alternatives are not available/widely available eat

No
sorry for clumsy attempt, but you were claiming that some people can't afford the expensive alternatives to meat and I was trying to ask you if you think that was the only option and what do you think those in other countries where those alternatives are not available/widely available eat

But this isn't recognising the vast differences between the two situations... Yes, it's not true that rural poor are necessarily eating crap food. What they may well be doing is practicing subsistence agriculture; i.e eating what they can grow with little or no surplus for sale. That means that you might be getting a reasonable diet, but it's also obviously very precarious (flooding, drought, changing land use, pollution etc). And it means a significant labour investment in processing what you grow for food. If they're not doing that, they may have very poor diets - malnourishment is a huge problem in India. Afaik that has to do with conversion of land from traditional, more protein rich crops (lentils, alongside more rice varietals etc) to monoculture of higher yielding rice strains. And, as mentioned, vegetarianism in India is lacto vegetarianism, to the extent that it's reflected in higher rates of lactase persistence in areas with high levels of vegetarianism.

This contrasts with the situation in the west where poverty can be associated with food deserts... So a more built up area but with very limited access to shops that sell things like cheap fresh fruit and veg. That doesn't mean no access to food, just means you might have a corner shop and some takeaways; chicken shop etc. Actually means people spending more for poorer diets. For fairly obvious reasons this is particularly bad in the US.

Food deserts aren't super common in the UK, I think they affect around a million people, but even then you have other problems. Fresh fruit and veg in the UK is not actually particularly cheap, especially when you factor in preparation time and having to shop regularly. Many other countries you'll have producers bringing their goods directly to markets (or with very few steps between), so you're only really paying farm labour (very low wages), and maybe a couple of levels of markup. Whereas in the west, UK particularly, you're paying supermarket shareholders, shipping, processing, storage, wastage, more labour etc. Of course that applies to meat too... But that's not really what we're talking about here. What is significant is how cheaply someone can buy the required calories to keep them and their families going within a certain time/transport budget. And the people who decide that in the UK are the supermarkets.

So when you say 'but in India...', the answer is just that it's a fundamentally different situation. Not comparable at all. Give people more time, subsidise high protein plant crops, spices etc. Give them cookery classes, fix their kitchens up. Open more local markets with prices reflecting producer costs rather than supermarket markups and processing. More localism in food production. The kind of stuff Funky_monks has posted about on this thread.

Interesting:

“Survey data from France and Germany reveals that in both countries, those who work in the meat industry have significantly higher rates of meat avoidance than those who do not work in the industry. While non-meat-industry workers are more likely to cite concerns for animals or the environment, meat industry workers more often cite concerns about the healthiness or safety of the products. Concurrently, interviews with people who raise animals for a living suggest that moral concerns among farmers are growing but largely remain hidden; talking about them openly was felt as a form of betrayal.”

Interesting:

“Survey data from France and Germany reveals that in both countries, those who work in the meat industry have significantly higher rates of meat avoidance than those who do not work in the industry. While non-meat-industry workers are more likely to cite concerns for animals or the environment, meat industry workers more often cite concerns about the healthiness or safety of the products. Concurrently, interviews with people who raise animals for a living suggest that moral concerns among farmers are growing but largely remain hidden; talking about them openly was felt as a form of betrayal.”

Makes sense. I didn't have a mobile phone for ages as I worked in a mobile phone factory and was sick of the sight of them.

Makes sense. I didn't have a mobile phone for ages as I worked in a mobile phone factory and was sick of the sight of them.
Pretty sure the same would apply to anybody in any industry. I reckon I could even get bored of salt and vinegar squares if I was around them every day.
Hardly a Eureka moment.

The abstract suggests concerns about the 'healthiness or safety of the products' often motivated meat-worker avoidance, not being 'sick of the sight of them'.

Back
Top Bottom