Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Avoiding meat and dairy is ‘single biggest way’ to reduce your impact on Earth

The abstract suggests concerns about the 'healthiness or safety of the products' often motivated meat-worker avoidance, not being 'sick of the sight of them'.
I've been in them and I can imagine that the smell when you accidentally puncture a rumen or the carcases that have to be condemned because of diseases you wouldn't notice when they were alive - tumours, fluke etc might put you off.

When I was a kid, I went round the Wolf Intersnacks factory on the German exchange and I've not eaten a Pom Bear since.

I've been in them and I can imagine that the smell when you accidentally puncture a rumen or the carcases that have to be condemned because of diseases you wouldn't notice when they were alive - tumours, fluke etc might put you off.

When I was a kid, I went round the Wolf Intersnacks factory on the German exchange and I've not eaten a Pom Bear since.
The first time I skinned and gutted a rabbit, I punctured that sack you shouldn't puncture. I almost gave up after that but I got the next one right, and the next one, and I got quite good at it. The only reason I stopped eating rabbit was because it's tough as fuck and needs stewing for hours.
Wood pigeon, on the other hand... I'm still making wood pigeon pies. They're tasty as fuck... And not a factory farm in sight.

The first time I skinned and gutted a rabbit, I punctured that sack you shouldn't puncture. I almost gave up after that but I got the next one right, and the next one, and I got quite good at it. The only reason I stopped eating rabbit was because it's tough as fuck and needs stewing for hours.
Wood pigeon, on the other hand... I'm still making wood pigeon pies. They're tasty as fuck... And not a factory farm in sight.

Stomach or bladder? Both smell a bit.
I like rabbit but I have a hard time getting other people to - love a rabbit in cider or a rabbit pie. Agree about pigeon though, it's pretty underrated. Partridge is pretty nice and squirrel tastes a lot like it, but is an absolute bugger to skin.

Stomach or bladder? Both smell a bit.
I like rabbit but I have a hard time getting other people to - love a rabbit in cider or a rabbit pie. Agree about pigeon though, it's pretty underrated. Partridge is pretty nice and squirrel tastes a lot like it, but is an absolute bugger to skin.
I'm not very clued up on the internal bits. My mate was proper Gunther the hunter. I was the better shot and he prepared the meat. We'd go camping, but he was more into the survalist thing, literally living off the land, and he was really good at it. He ended up in a log cabin in Scotland, with a Harris hawk a Peregrine Falcon, a Remington 710 and shooting rights over about 1000 acres. He lives off deer, rabbit, grouse, etc. And he's at one with nature... As it's supposed to be.
E2A: oops, got sidetracked... It was a stinky sack that poisons the meat if it's cut. I think it was something to do with what our appendix did, something to do with grass digestion.
Oh yeah, I knew I had a point (I'm a bit stoned)...
A question for the devout veganists... Is my mate wrong? Is the way he's living wrong? He's the most 'in-tune-with-nature person I know. He's a million times better for the environment than anyone posting here (including me), but to some here he's still' evil', because he kills animals to eat. This is why meat eaters and veganists will never agree, because one of them thinks they're morally superior.

Last edited:
More animal abuse

Protests have been held at more than a dozen Morrisons stores amid allegations the supermarket chain sells “Frankenchickens”.

The demonstrations were spearheaded by one of the supermarket’s own employees, Doug Maw, who says he is facing disciplinary action for taking part in the animal welfare campaign.

It comes after charity Open Cages earlier this month released video footage claiming to show images of fast-growing birds deformed and dying on four intensive chicken farms run by one of Morrisons’ main suppliers.

Its reasonably apparent if you've actually tried to grow any veg yourself- you quickly realise you need to fertilise your soil, and your options are: synthetic NPK (synthetic K is gonna run out soon anyway, is a limited resource) or some kind of manure. Compost is great but generally short of N.
Stop flushing the loo then. If manure is so vital stop wasting human manure which is wasted in such vast quantities it could pretty much replace chemical fertiliser entirely.

Stop flushing the loo then. If manure is so vital stop wasting human manure which is wasted in such vast quantities it could pretty much replace chemical fertiliser entirely.
There's virtually no nitrogen in human shit, and nitrogen is the bit we need most of, but it's in the piss. Collecting human piss isn't an easy task.

There's virtually no nitrogen in human shit, and nitrogen is the bit we need most of, but it's in the piss. Collecting human piss isn't an easy task.
It would be more cost effective in tower blocks than it would be in country cottages but there's nothing intrinsically difficult about it other than people's disgust at their own waste matter. Put in pipes or hand over buckets once a week.

A) Treated slurry is used, but there are issues with chemicals (eg oestrogen from the contraceptive pill) / heavy metals in it.

B) Source for your assertion that it could replace chemical fertiliser entirely please. (Peer reviewed journal please, none of this broadsheet newspaper bullshit)

A) Treated slurry is used, but there are issues with chemicals (eg oestrogen from the contraceptive pill) / heavy metals in it.

B) Source for your assertion that it could replace chemical fertiliser entirely please. (Peer reviewed journal please, none of this broadsheet newspaper bullshit)
Crikey, calm down.

Contamination in slurry is mostly not from human waste but the wastewater it's mixed with and even the sewer pipes themselves. However, reclaiming human nutrients for use as fertlisers would require separation at source which would need some infrastructure, and probably large scale change of toilet habits to achieve. It can't and won't happen under capitalism (and therefpre probably not at all) because it wouldn't be as profitable as digging chemicals out of the ground or extracting nitrogen from the air in factories.

Some populations do have high levels of heavy metal pollution in their urine either because of industrial pollution or because their food sources are already contaminated. This is a public health problem that needs addressing long-term. Pollution should be reduced rather than used as an excuse to pollute more. Again, this is very idealistic and won't happen in our current society. I am bemoaning the inability of humans to address their problems collectively rather than proposing a snappy startup company selling wee to farmers.

Humans produce something between 50 and 100% of the nutrients required to fertilise land to provide food for one human in their waste. A bit vague but it does suggest that it's a logistic and political problem rather than a science one.

Sorry for not having a peer-reviewed paper but I'm not an agriculture student.

Last edited:
Crikey, calm down.

Contamination in slurry is mostly not from human waste but the wastewater it's mixed with and even the sewer pipes themselves. However, reclaiming human nutrients for use as fertlisers would require separation at source which would need some infrastructure, and probably large scale change of toilet habits to achieve. It can't and won't happen under capitalism (and therefpre probably not at all) because it wouldn't be as profitable as digging chemicals out of the ground or extracting nitrogen from the air in factories.

Some populations do have high levels of heavy metal pollution in their urine either because of industrial pollution or because their food sources are already contaminated. This is a public health problem that needs addressing long-term. Pollution should be reduced rather than used as an excuse to pollute more. Again, this is very idealistic and won't happen in our current society. I am bemoaning the inability of humans to address their problems collectively rather than proposing a snappy startup company selling wee to farmers.

Humans produce something between 50 and 100% of the nutrients required to fertilise land to provide food for one human in their waste. A bit vague but it does suggest that it's a logistic and political problem rather than a science one.

Sorry for not having a peer-reviewed paper but I'm not an agriculture student.

Do you have any sources for any of the figures you've quoted or have you made them up?
Its an interesting point, and it has been suggested that using human slurry from meat eaters means that veg could have higher vitamin B12 to help non meat eaters.

Human slurry is still used but not as widely as it was - off the top of my head, I think you need a permit, the application for which is onerous. On the other hand it is, apparently, cheap.

You'd still need N though, which is where FYM could compliment it.

You'd still need N though, which is where FYM could compliment it.
Urine is mostly nitrogen in terms of nutrients.

And what do I need sources for? I haven't said anything that isn't general knowledge or obviously an opinion.As you've pointed out yourself the audience here is in the tens. I'm happy to be put right but I'm not writing an essay.

Urine is mostly nitrogen in terms of nutrients.

And what do I need sources for? I haven't said anything that isn't general knowledge or obviously an opinion.As you've pointed out yourself the audience here is in the tens. I'm happy to be put right but I'm not writing an essay.

You said that humans produce 50-100% of the nutrients required for cropping - is there a source for that?
"It's general knowledge" sounds quite a lot like "I've made this up" to me.

If you've been following the thread, you'll have noticed quite a lot of source material of differing levels of reliability.

Back
Top Bottom