Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Avoiding coronation

Camping in the peak district with no signal and plenty of caves to hide in. I'm not a fan of the monarchy but wouldn't mind seeing at least a small part of it for the benefit of showing the kids what a load of nonsense it all is.

Actually you may be thinking of the Royal George? - that was closer to the Astoria.
You had to go down a little alley - but it did have a Charing Cross Road address...
Closed in 2021 but reopened the same year...
Then...

View attachment 373032

Now...
27038762__OSi1RtM7Rt-kkJ2jhAq7ZMn6uSujRkB8Ei0ZzUEhjs.jpg

Didn't know that was there.

Would've been behind The Astoria, right?

Just watching my Son and his girlfriend's plane (well Easyjets not theirs obvs) on flightradar24 crossing over Oxford as they flee the country for a week to minimise their Coronation exposure. I'm surprised that such activity as not been declared treasonous.

The village I live in is having a party on the Sunday, the town I live near is having a party on the day, and #3 is having a coronation picnic at school on the Friday - however as I rarely watch live TV, have a kitchen to make for the new campervan at Chez Kebab, and a dog to walk, I think I'll probably just about manage to escape something that's happening over a hundred miles away, and broadcast on stuff I neither listen to or watch.

I'm escaping Sundays village party by trying out the Bongo, we'll probably go to the Elan valley for some swimming - doubtless it'll still be ongoing by the time we get back, but it's just a BBQ, kids playing on the field, and some advanced public drunkenness several hundred yards away, so I think I'll probably survive.

I've coped before - Eurovision, Happy Valley, New Year's Eve parties, Stranger Things - I've got this special technique: I don't watch them or go to them...

The village I live in is having a party on the Sunday, the town I live near is having a party on the day, and #3 is having a coronation picnic at school on the Friday - however as I rarely watch live TV, have a kitchen to make for the new campervan at Chez Kebab, and a dog to walk, I think I'll probably just about manage to escape something that's happening over a hundred miles away, and broadcast on stuff I neither listen to or watch.

I'm escaping Sundays village party by trying out the Bongo, we'll probably go to the Elan valley for some swimming - doubtless it'll still be ongoing by the time we get back, but it's just a BBQ, kids playing on the field, and some advanced public drunkenness several hundred yards away, so I think I'll probably survive.

I've coped before - Eurovision, Happy Valley, New Year's Eve parties, Stranger Things - I've got this special technique: I don't watch them or go to them...
There is a street party in the close on Sunday, we had one for Platty Jubes and it was very enjoyable, one person did try to get a chorus of "God Save The Queen" going and not one single person joined in so she stopped and tried to pretend she hadn't done it. I suspect she won't bother this time around. I don't know if anyone will try to make coronation quiche but I am really hoping that the Indian family at No 5 make the curry again that they made for Platty Jubes.

Just don't get them, tbh. Apparently am missing our accord to those that do.

Why do people read novels? Why do people play board games? People play video games for similar reasons. It's a form of interactive entertainment that comes in a vast variety of gameplay styles, that can be enjoyed solo or as a social activity. They can be played at home or on the move. As a hobby, video gaming can be very cheap to get into, thanks to freeware games and second-hand hardware.

I don't think it's all that hard to work out why so many adults play.

There is a street party in the close on Sunday, we had one for Platty Jubes and it was very enjoyable, one person did try to get a chorus of "God Save The Queen" going and not one single person joined in so she stopped and tried to pretend she hadn't done it. I suspect she won't bother this time around. I don't know if anyone will try to make coronation quiche but I am really hoping that the Indian family at No 5 make the curry again that they made for Platty Jubes.

We had one for platty jubes as well - lots of food, drinking, and blokes singing Tom Jones songs.

The idea that it's going to be some hellish, fawning, forelock-tugging cringefest is a product of the febrile minds of tedious people who endlessly pontificate about what others think, while broadcasting to the world their astonishing ignorance of what others think and do...

Why do people read novels? Why do people play board games? People play video games for similar reasons. It's a form of interactive entertainment that comes in a vast variety of gameplay styles, that can be enjoyed solo or as a social activity. They can be played at home or on the move. As a hobby, video gaming can be very cheap to get into, thanks to freeware games and second-hand hardware.

I don't think it's all that hard to work out why so many adults play.

Have played space invaders, tomb raider, something on Wii but that's more or less it. No problems with those who get some joy out of it, just not my thing. The games nowadays look really complicated and also worried for kids who get sexually harassed while playing them . Realise that every hobby/pastime/genre has its bad side.

We’re having a street party. Mrs mx is “a bit pissed off with me” for running away to a festival.

We had a platty jubes one as well. I was at a festival for that too.

Was there an anniversary of VE Day or something during lockdown? I did go to that and it was fine. Nice to meet and chat with the neighbours. Lots of booze. The only people with union jacks were the Australian and the Sri Lankan family.

I’m not against neighbours getting together for a few drinks out in the road. I just wish there didn’t have to be something “patriotic” to prompt it.

I am actually likely to go to a pub called the Coronation, which is having a street party. It's not a hot bed of royalists. Landlord sees it as a chance to have a bit of outside space again, (the street can be closed,) bit of entertainment and sell more beer / food.

I believe that miraculously they haven't cancelled the football for this guff so I will happily watch Palace beat Spurs and not see a second of it all

Amazed the Met haven't ruined it (yet)

edit: hang on, didn't realise there's no 12:30 game. Well, I can get through a few episodes of Buffy in that time then

Last edited:
We’re having a street party. Mrs mx is “a bit pissed off with me” for running away to a festival.

We had a platty jubes one as well. I was at a festival for that too.

Was there an anniversary of VE Day or something during lockdown? I did go to that and it was fine. Nice to meet and chat with the neighbours. Lots of booze. The only people with union jacks were the Australian and the Sri Lankan family.

I’m not against neighbours getting together for a few drinks out in the road. I just wish there didn’t have to be something “patriotic” to prompt it.
There was indeed, the woman who lives at No 9 The Close, TrueBlueYokelville (I live at No 3) discovered her previously hidden talents as public events organiser during the lockdown when she organised a socially distant VE event where people sat out on their driveways drinking and communicating via waving and shouting. This was enough of a success for her to organise a VJ event when restrictions were lifted and people could mingle more freely in the street. There was no stopping her after that and all the stops were pulled out for Platty Jubes which was attended by getting on for a hundred folks including a Ukrainian family being put up by a couple just round the corner on the main road. She is organising a street party for Chucky 3: The Horror Begins on Sunday. Platty Jubes had only the most token of Royal themes and I suspect this Sunday will be no different. Mostly a lot of people getting together to eat, drink and gossip with some music and maybe a spot of dancing thrown in. I suspect if Chucky lives too long she might have him assassinated to give her another excuse for a bash.

We had one for platty jubes as well - lots of food, drinking, and blokes singing Tom Jones songs.

The idea that it's going to be some hellish, fawning, forelock-tugging cringefest is a product of the febrile minds of tedious people who endlessly pontificate about what others think, while broadcasting to the world their astonishing ignorance of what others think and do...
Tom Jones songs? Why, why, why?

Back
Top Bottom