Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Avoiding coronation

How is the thing going to impinge on my normal day I don’t get it. Are troops in ceremonial hats gonna knock on my door and make me sing? I don’t even know what day it’s on the silly ritual. So far all I’ve seen is one house with Union Jack bunting which was all new and shiny so they must have taken it down in between dead queen and this, that’s it, otherwise nothing.

My partner's daughter's in laws are monarchists (and, in his case, quite stridently I'd guess - ex Squaddie with some anti-Irish 'issues'). As soon as they announced the windsor gets a new hat day, I said to partner, right, don't get ambushed, they'll be having a do, get the excuses ready, I AM NOT GOING! But no, she was not prepared and ended up with some half arsed attempts at getting out of it, which were promptly overridden. :facepalm: Result, she's going and I'm not.

If dry I'll be gardening [grass and timber cutting etc so wearing ear defenders].
If wet, I'll probably be on here or at the workshop [so I can wear ear defenders].

Food n drink at home with barricades up ...

I'll be topping up my tinnitus across Camden all weekend at Desertfest before heading back to the back of beyond. London public transport might be risky but I am extremely good at living in my own little bubble, completely oblivious to everything going on around me

nearly crashed my van yesterday, drove though this pile of crap,then i saw a poster at work's will be wearing all black clothes from friday till next monday.View attachment 372999View attachment 373000
Got an auld queen mum drop dead t-shirt (pic of sticker to give you an impression of the image)
th.jpeg
I'd wear it all week if that shit happened where I work. It's got red white and blue on it so it ticks all the boxes

No bunting here. We actually have an American neighbour who supported the Republicans under Trump, and had those flags flying several years ago, which everyone hit the roof over - she was disinvited to the summer garden party when she proposed raising funds at it for the Republicans (it’s usually a charity of some kind that the organisers agree on and then send out approvals for) - so now I don’t think anyone would dare to put up anything.

I’ll probably watch a bit of it if there’s nothing else on. I received two Paul Theroux travel books today, so I might read them. I’m quite far into the Pillars of Hercules already, so I should probably try to slow down or I’ll have read both by the weekend.

Honestly I’ve seen more chat on here about the Corrination than I’ve experienced in real life. You fucking love it. Telling everyone you’re going to ignore it. Just ignore it man. Read a book watch a film whatever.
I know, I know, it makes no sense at all for anti-monarchists to discuss their distaste at monarchist set piece events on a politics discussion board. What were we thinking? :eek:

There's gonna be a bunch of coronation-themed crap at my school. Dreading it. The kids will have no interest in it, any more than they did when Brenda died. They've got real stuff to deal with.

I'm a member of the British and Commonwealth Society here (my one-way ticket into the British Cemetery, should I need it) and not even they seem to have bothered to do anything.

I’ve fucked it up. I too assumed it would be on the Bank Holiday Monday and had arranged to be in Germany that day. But no it’s the Saturday. Not only will I be here but Ms747 is working. I’ve got less than a week to plan…

I've got the kids this weekend so I'll do stuff with them. Should be easy to avoid. The only live TV I watch at the weekends is shit like Ramsay's kitchen nightmares or four in a bed and that will probably still be on.

Everything is open as normal as far as I can see plus there's football to watch and my local is open and not commemorating jug ears. Just a normal weekend at the souljacker house.

Not living in that country, so it probably won't get an awful amount of coverage. Although, no doubt someone will ask about it because they think Ireland and the UK are the same thing

Back
Top Bottom