Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Avoiding coronation

I think the coronation will clash with the Madrid Masters final on Amazon Prime. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I work at home, I don't have a TV, and I don't listen to the radio (broadcast media is for Boomers and other dinosaurs). I'll avoid it by doing what I usually do on a weekend, namely intoxicating myself and playing video games.

If you don't have a tv then how do you manage to play video games?

Dodge the worst of it being abroad but chances are a neighbour or parent at the kids schools will see something on news and ask me about it. Not exactly a great burden and opportunity to let them know it's not universally popular.

Oh ok so I'd have to go into work on Saturday instead of Monday? This changes things. Might just go on a walk or whatever

I was very pleased to be out of the country during the queen’s funeral schiz, but I reckon the coronation will be a laugh. Central London, away from the procession routes, gets eerily quiet during these things which is quite a rare experience. I remember lying in the middle of the road in Trafalgar Square during Diana’s funeral. The roads weren’t closed but the whole country was watching the telly.

We’re going into town for a few beers, take some photos and see what’s going on. Soho in particular should be fun.

Last edited:
I was very pleased to be out of the country during the queen’s funeral schiz, but I reckon the coronation might be a laugh. Central London, away from the procession routes, gets eerily quiet during these things which is quite a rare experience. I remember lying in the middle of the road in Trafalgar Square during Diana’s funeral. The roads weren’t closed but the whole country was watching the telly.

We’re going into town for a few beers, take some photos and see what’s going on. Soho in particular should be fun.
Is the Prince George still going?

Is the Prince George still going?

The Prince George is up in Dalston. Still there as far as I'm aware but haven't been for years. The George, on the corner of D'Arblay/Berwick Street, is most certainly still going and a very fine establishment.

If you don't have a tv then how do you manage to play video games?
What are "video" games, grandad?

A video game[a] is an electronic game that involves interaction with a user interface or input device (such as a joystick, controller, keyboard, or motion sensing device) to generate visual feedback from a display device, most commonly shown in a video format on a television set, computer monitor, flat-panel display or touchscreen on handheld devices, or a virtual reality headset, hence the name.

The Prince George is up in Dalston. Still there as far as I'm aware but haven't been for years. The George, on the corner of D'Arblay/Berwick Street, is most certainly still going and a very fine establishment.
Real shame. So many good pubs in Soho. And the home of the old Warquee. Lot of good memories.

Sorry the pub at the juncture of Tottenham Court road and Charing Cross road.

Not sure which that is. There's The Flying Horse, opposite TCR station, but that whole area has been redeveloped because of Crossrail so I'm not too familiar with what's there now.

Yeah - as spymaster said it is The Flying Horse.
Formally The Tottenham - it was renamed about eight years ago.
The only remaining pub in Oxford Street.....

You couldn't pay me to go to a game involving one of the bigoted arsecheeks and I have been watching football for 35 years now.

That said Celtic fans have been getting a lot of praise online today from all corners of the Scottish game for their chanting, including from some actual Rangers fans.
As it happens the man I was caring for this morning is a Glaswegian celtic fan and the cleaner on shift is an Irish fan, so the three of us just reinacted the singalong in his bedroom. I don't think rural Scotland was too impressed, we were a bit loud :D

Must admit, I'd quite like to hear some Roy Keane style commentary. 'Terrible, terrible, lack of characters in that royalist dressing room. And sausages, moaning about the penalty.... I'm flabbergasted'.
Back on top comedy form again there Wilf

It's interesting looking at the route he will follow. Whilst Brenda's procession wandered all over central London like a particularly boisterous stag do, Chucky gives the impression of furtively nipping out of Britain's most expensive council house to go and get crowned before sneaking home again.
I will probably watch Chucky 3: The Horror Begins from about 11.45ish to just after 12ish when he gets given the sparkly hat and a couple of sticks. Can't say I fancy a whole day of lickspittling and fawning but I can probably stomach half an hour on the grounds that since I'm only 8 years younger than Chucky this might be the only one in my entire life.
Beside Mrs Q and Youngest Q are planning to watch at least the ceremony and Youngest commented on it when she phoned home yesterday.
"You've got to watch it with us Dad, your snarky remarks and hurling insults at the telly are the best bit as far as I am concerned"

Take some shrooms and imagine it's a new Spitting Image. Won't be that much difference tbf.

Near the Astoria right? Which has unfortunately been knocked down. I’m old.
Actually you may be thinking of the Royal George? - that was closer to the Astoria.
You had to go down a little alley - but it did have a Charing Cross Road address...
Closed in 2021 but reopened the same year...
Then...

1683018508233.jpeg

Now...
27038762__OSi1RtM7Rt-kkJ2jhAq7ZMn6uSujRkB8Ei0ZzUEhjs.jpg

Actually you may be thinking of the Royal George? - that was closer to the Astoria.
You had to go down a little alley - but it did have a Charing Cross Road address...
Closed in 2021 but reopened the same year...
Then...

View attachment 373032

Now...
27038762__OSi1RtM7Rt-kkJ2jhAq7ZMn6uSujRkB8Ei0ZzUEhjs.jpg
That's the one! Weird place. A combination of suits and rockers. But I always enjoyed the Tottenham as well. The Ship was pretty cool also.

Back
Top Bottom