Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Autumn Rugby Internationals 2022

Elpenor

Haytor’s gonna hate
So, the squads have been announced although they’re likely to be amended somewhat after the weekend as two England players picked up nasty looking injuries last night.

Fixtures and TV details here :)

The Ireland games are usually on channel 4 but this doesn’t seem to have been confirmed yet. All the other games will be on Amazon prime, as in recent years.

England are basically practicing for the World Cup of Argentina and Japan (both in their group) and then likely knock out stages opponents New Zealand and South Africa, the latter game outside of the international window. If they win all 4 that will be a huge statement but I suspect a fit and firing Manu Tuilagi will be required to do so.

Wales have a tough set of fixtures with New Zealand, Argentina, Georgia and Australia. I half fancied them to beat New Zealand earlier in the year but some new coaching staff for the All Blacks has freshened up their pack, and they’ve now got a strong mauling game and an awesome new hooker called Samisono Taukei’ago. Not so sure now. 3/4 at best.

Scotland’s first game is this coming Saturday 29th October against Australia (the only match that day) and I think as they’ll only be able to pick their Scotland based players as it’s outside of the international window. They then play Fiji, New Zealand and Argentina. There’s a fair chance it could be a tough autumn for the Scottish team.

Ireland begin with South Africa which should be a cracker as their domestic teams play each other regularly in the United Rugby Championship, with the Saffer teams tending to come out on top. They then play Fiji and Australia. 3 from 3 I reckon Andy Farrell’s boys if Sexton stays fit.

I am going to Wales v New Zealand on Saturday 5th November in Cardiff. My first time at the Principality. Rather annoyingly it’s on the day of a train strike but I’ll expect I’ll manage having to stop over in Cardiff on the Saturday night :cool:

[Edit - gone]

Last edited:
Ireland games confirmed as being on Prime as well according to the link in page 1

First game is Scotland v Australia this Saturday at 5:30pm, teams to be announced tomorrow

• Sad
Reactions: Ax^
Also next Friday Ireland A are taking on an NZed select 15. Which I think is going to be on the box.

On the Ireland squad, we’ve a few players injuries so there are some interesting selections. I like the fact that Farrell has called Crawley and Ahern into the A’s.

I hope that Edwin Edogbo gets called into the squad at some stage. He’s the first 19 year old I’ve seen in a while who I think is good enough for international rugby already. Although Farrell doesn’t had out caps like candy.

Last edited:
I wanted to go to one of the Welsh games but I’m booked elsewhere for all the games. Have a ticket for wales vs Ireland in the six nations instead though so all good.

I know rugby being on Amazon prime is problematic for many but I’ve just gone onto the prime video app to sign up and been offered a free 30 day trial (for the videos not for the prime delivery service)

Mentioning this in case it’s of use for anyone :)

Reactions: Ax^
Going to Wales Argentina. I refused to countenance Wales-ABs because 'we haven't got a fucking hope of beating them' and then, of course, the Darkness go on a record losing streak :facepalm:

I had an idea that the ABs game would be close during the summer, but can’t see that now. Had this game been in July perhaps it would have been close

New Zealand might have got their shit match out of the way this morning, they beat Japan by just 7 points, with a reasonably strong team.

Got tickets with mr A319* for Wales All backs; a friend from years and years ago is now one of the senior stewards so is going to give us a tour of the stadium on the Sunday afterwards.

I’m very excited.

* I think I said before, despite being born and bred in Bedford and going to Wales about six times my son ( who has two welsh grandparents) supports Wales not England at the rugby. He says it’s because he doesn’t like the England team style of play. All well and good, but his club side is Sarries…

New Zealand might have got their shit match out of the way this morning, they beat Japan by just 7 points, with a reasonably strong team.
I think you’re right that was their weakest front row. I still think that aside from De Groot and Lomax the rest of their props are below their usual quality. As was their back line.

I’m sure when they put the two mentioned above, and Sevea and Bauden at 12 they will be a different beast.

Still can’t help think bendeus that Wales have a good chance, especially by denying NZ lineout ball. But we’ll see. I think we might see that lack of regular games against The saffas at super rugby level is really hurting them.

Last edited:
New Zealand will be going into the game next week without there first choice locks I think as Whitelock is injured and Retallick got a red card today.

Still everyone has injuries and I think wales are very short in the backline

Time for Scotland v Australia

Scotland wasting their opportunities, I’ve backed them to win by 10 so they need to buck their ideas up.

Mind you Australia not much better.

So nothing's on Freeview? Fuck you Bezos.

Rugby will never rival football's audience, in England at least, but you'd think that the relevant authorities would see the value of recruiting at least some fans from free to air coverage?
This. More free to air will mean more exposure to the game. And make tickets to games cheaper too (and make the high end tickets more expensive.) Or at least being in some standing tickers to attract younger spectators freeing up space in the stands for families.

Realised I’m going to have to follow the England v Argentina on my phone as I’ll be travelling by coach back from Cardiff during the match

I think this will be a good matchup, as the Pumas have been quite competitive this year; and as I’m seeing a repeat of this fixture in Marseille at the World Cup next year there was a personal interest. Oh well

Teams are being named for this weekends games

New Zealand look strong… Wales will have to do well to be in touch with 60 to go

France v Australia and Ireland v South Africa look potentially good games, reckon the northern hemisphere win these by a clear score.

Scotland and Italy have banana skins against Fiji and Samoa potentially - these teams strengthened to due world rugby changing the eligibility rules.

Best looking Wales team for a while (though still expect AB to win)

France should be comfortable over Australia.
Ireland/saffas could be a cracking game

England team named - Itoje at 6 which has not been successful. Joe Cokanasiga who is a poor player defensively and positionally starts at wing.

Smith, Farrell Tuilagi in the backline - let’s if this fires and if Tuilagi gets through the game. Apparently today is Farrell’s first day back post concussion which I feel sends the wrong message about player welfare

Best uncapped player in England IMO (though a Saffer) big Dave Ribbans is on the bench as part of a 6-2 split . I rate him v highly

I wonder what the impact of Conor Murray starting ahead JGP will have on the speed of our game?

I think we’re in a little trouble as Henshaw has pulled out no Stuart McCloskey is in. He’s a good player but not as good as Henshaw.

Wales continue to bump along the bottom, basically. We surrendered the gainline completely and were baffled and shapeless in attack. Bullied up front again. A record 'points against' at home against a second rate Darkness, who I think France, Ireland and England would/will put away is a dismal result. Pivac is stealing a living and should go, but rather like Nadine Dorries under BoZo knows he'll never get a gig like this again so is clinging on without shame for the pay packet.

Last week Siadwel and the amateur clubs that hold Welsh rugby to ransom voted down a proposal to install an independent chair of the Worst Run Union. We're fucked and our decline will only accelerate. 8 games of ignominy until the WC and our inevitable dumping out at the hands of Fiji.

I thought Scotland were pretty dire yesterday. If Fiji had managed to score when they had that scrum near our line before half time would have made it interesting.

Back
Top Bottom