Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Autumn Rugby Internationals 2021

Elpenor

Dancing as fast as I can
I thought a thread for the Autumn Rugby Internationals, now rebranded it seems to “Autumn Nations Series” would be worthwhile as the squads are beginning to be announced, and the matches begin on the last weekend in October. There doesn’t seem to be any form of trophy or table as there was last year.

There is a flashy new website with all the fixtures here.

The men’s games will be on Amazon Prime, with the exception of the Ireland matches which are on Channel 4. Despite my reservations about international rugby being on pay TV, Prime is at least cheaper than Sky and many people have it anyway.

England’s men play Tonga, Australia and South Africa. I expect a second-string team with some debutants to beat Tonga. South Africa have lost 3 matches in The Rugby Championship, including 2 against Australia, who are playing quite well at present. I think if England beat both Australia and South Africa it will be superb, more likely it will be only one victory unless there’s an improved game plan against the brute force of the Bokke. Eddie Jones has never lost to Australia as England coach.

Wales have got the big 3 Southern Hemisphere teams and Fiji to play against, including New Zealand outside of an international window which means no English based players - best of luck with that. It will be great to see Gareth Anscombe back after a 2 year layoff. Beating 2 of the big 3 (plus Fiji) would make a huge statement for the Pivac era, I can’t recall Wales ever beating 2 of Aus, NZ and SA in one campaign in recent years, no doubt bendeus will be along to correct me shortly.

Scotland have Tonga, Australia, South Africa and Japan. Hard to see them beating the Boks, but I could certainly see Australia struggling with wet weather conditions in Murrayfield.

Finally Ireland have Japan, New Zealand and Argentina. I don’t foresee any repeats of the heroics of 2016 and 2018 for the Irish, as they’re still in transition, but who knows.

France and Italy also play a number of matches. The pick of these is France v New Zealand, a rapidly improving France team could possibly take New Zealand I think. Certainly I don’t think this NZ team is at a level which should win 4/4.

Of course there are also women’s internationals on as well, and the good news is that all the England games are to be shown live on BBC2 on Sunday afternoons -
All four England women’s rugby union autumn Tests to be shown live on BBC - two games against New Zealand, and one against Canada and USA who I understand are both dominant countries in the women’s game. These games aren’t all being played at Twickenham, they’re being played round the country - Northampton, Exeter, Worcester and the Twickenham Stoop so go and see them if you can!

I’m intending to pay more attention and become better informed about the women’s game this season so sadly I haven’t got much more to add. I haven’t found any information about the televising of other home nations women’s matches, but hopefully these will be on the red button.

Some of the home nations squads have been revealed.

The England squad was named today: no Vunipolas, Jamie George or George Ford. Perhaps not a surprise as they weren’t in the initial training squad, but they’d all shown some form in the Premiership games. With that said, they are known quantities so leaving them out gives Eddie Jones to assess other players, so it may not be the end for them.

A few uncapped players have been named - Raffi Quirke, an exciting scrum half from Sale and Nic Dolly, an Australian-born hooker who plays for Leicester are the most interesting.

Maro Itoje, Luke Cowan-Dickie and Anthony Watson are all potential injury doubts after picking up knocks at the weekend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/58958385

The Welsh squad has a huge injury list - including 6 or 7 in the back row hence Thomas Young has been pressganged into joining Cardiff next season and will be in the squad. The likes of Halfpenny, North, Tipuric, Lydiate, Navidi amongst others are injured.

Don’t envy Wayne Pivac having to cobble together a makeshift XXIII for the New Zealand fixture, particularly as the English-based players aren’t available.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/58896583

Scotland’s first game is also outside the international window and hence their squad seems a bit unfamiliar to me - no Russell / Hastings / Van Der Merwe and Sutherland for a start.

Scotland call up Sharks' Richardson

The Ireland squad hasn’t been named as far as I’m aware. Would be nice to see Simon Zebo play international rugby again. I don’t follow the United Rugby Championship so no idea which players are in form.

I didn’t get to watch those games in full, but I can see the Aussies giving England a lesson in how to play attractive rugby

There is plenty to like about that Irish squad, for instance we might see a front row of Porter, Kelleher, and Furlong. For the back row I’d like to see Coombes and Doris together but we’ll see. Frawley is a serious talent so we may see us play a second 5/8 as the kiwis call a playmaking 12.

Not expecting anything more than Farrell looking at different combos. The sexton/Joey/Harry Byrne won’t be settled unless Joey is put to 15. I expect we’ll win2 of three but we could lose 2 of three.

As for Stockdale he’s played like a drain under Farrell…

Last edited:
I was hoping Stockdale might continue at full back if only for comic purposes.

Agree that Ireland need to try some new combinations as Sexton may not make 2023 and a successor needs to be blooded.

South Africa have a few injuries including Faf de Klerk and Cheslin Kolbe. I can see them losing a tight game to England and winning a tight game against Wales. I can’t see the games being much of a spectacle.

The fun has begun. Australia beat Japan this morning in Tokyo in what appears to have been a close game judging by the 32-23 score line. I’m off to find some highlights.

Tonight USA play what is a weakened New Zealand team, this is on Premier Sports which shows the United Rugby Championship (Pro 14 successor) at 8pm.

I’d expected Australia to beat England in a few weeks time but their best fly half and inside centre - Quade Cooper and Samu Kerevi - have opted out of the tour and instead gone to do preseason training with their Japanese club teams (who ultimately pay their wages). So now I’m not sure.

A global season is needed. There are some juicy domestic games taking place this weekend with depleted squads due to international call-ups. Rugby needs to sort this problem.

Anyway the games to watch this weekend

Saturday

Scotland v Tonga - 2:30, Prime
Wales v New Zealand - 5:15, Prime

Sunday

England Women v New Zealand Women 2:30, BBC

Think the women’s game on Sunday is the one to watch; this weeks men’s games are likely to be fairly one-sided.

Well i think that went pretty much as expected. Was difficult to get too excited about it. Its the next 3 weeks that will show where we are at.

Bizarre , why the fuck would you play the All Blacks outside the international window and so lose the availability of a load of your best players ?

Oh er ,, money oops.

Bizarre , why the fuck would you play the All Blacks outside the international window and so lose the availability of a load of your best players ?

Oh er ,, money oops.
Exactly, 4 million big ones when you’re bankrupt. Mate who was at Cardiff as a plastic Kiwi said it was embarrassing to watch.

Scotland hammered Tonga with 10 tries but can anyone guess how many of those tries were scored by someone born in Scotland?

Anyway, came on here to say finally got to watch Roses v Ferns and it was pretty entertaining, whole match is on iPlayer. Gutted I couldn't go in the end, I was bloody ill. Still, good turnout and some cracking tries, Ferns were as rusty as you'd expect, here's hoping next week they are better.
Very pleased to see the return of Sarah Bern my favourite ex-flanker turned prop. Who makes that transition?! No-one but her and she's awesome.

Anyway, came on here to say finally got to watch Roses v Ferns and it was pretty entertaining, whole match is on iPlayer. Gutted I couldn't go in the end, I was bloody ill. Still, good turnout and some cracking tries, Ferns were as rusty as you'd expect, here's hoping next week they are better.
Very pleased to see the return of Sarah Bern my favourite ex-flanker turned prop. Who makes that transition?! No-one but her and she's awesome.
I watched most of that on telly. It was a great game. Was surprised to see how much better we were than NZ. Nice surprise. Hopefully we can do it again.

In other news, my daughter is going to see England v Tonga on Saturday with her uni mates. It seems they got the RU bug whilst at Bath.
There are still tickets available, through official channels too.

I wouldn't mind going to see the a game at the new Twickenham, having been to the old stadium twice when a schoolboy rugby player.

Back
Top Bottom