Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Assange to face extradition

Justice for Assange UK Facebook page latest post

Justice for Assange UK
4 February at 20:14 ·

Putting a call out - we no longer have the time to run this page - please PM us if you would like to take over the admin of this page - but you must be based in the UK. Many thanks.

I would have thought Mr Assange could run it himself, he's got nothing else to do

Justice for Assange UK Facebook page latest post

Justice for Assange UK
4 February at 20:14 ·

Putting a call out - we no longer have the time to run this page - please PM us if you would like to take over the admin of this page - but you must be based in the UK. Many thanks.

I would have thought Mr Assange could run it himself, he's got nothing else to do
I'll do it. There's quite a lot of stuff I could post up.

I think people accused of sexual violence should have the opportunity to test those allegations in a fair court.

Assange doesn't appear to want to.

For some obscure reason, he doesn't think he'll get a fair trial.

He seems to have developed the ludicrous, paranoid notion that powerful forces are out to get him by any means necessary. Christ knows where he came up with that one.

For some obscure reason, he doesn't think he'll get a fair trial.

He seems to have developed the ludicrous, paranoid notion that powerful forces are out to get him by any means necessary. Christ knows where he came up with that one.
:D

I'm now hoping that the powerful forces out to get him do. The self-aggrandizing arrogant tosser.
Really?
No, don't go that far...sends powerful message to anyone considering attempt to leak state 'secrets'.
If charged by the Swedes he should face justice, but there's no need to cheer on the CIA taking him out, is there?

Really?
No, don't go that far...sends powerful message to anyone considering attempt to leak state 'secrets'.
If charged by the Swedes he should face justice, but there's no need to cheer on the CIA taking him out, is there?
Yup. I understand the frustration, but what is required here is a fair hearing in a fair court: the course of law.

Jeez. I don't know how many anarchist points I lose for saying this stuff!

This is the thing that a lot of liberal leftists don't seem to get: it is possible for someone to do a thing you admire and then also do something appalling. It is furthermore possible that in evading taking responsibility for the appalling thing, that the person who once did a useful thing actually does a lot of damage to the useful cause and to others involved in the useful cause.

Now, that may take a minute or so to think about, but it's really not hard to process ethically. The sentences have a few clauses, and that can take time for some people. But the concept isn't hard. But some people just can't deal with the complexity of reality. They prefer this:

"Person does something admirable = hero. Heroes don't do bad things. Bad thing must be lie. People who think hero should face a fair trial in a fair court must be against the admirable thing. Therefore they are bad people".

I think people accused of sexual violence should have the opportunity to test those allegations in a fair court.

Assange doesn't appear to want to.

Yes, this reminds me of the article in the New $tatesman where they attempted to defend mass surveillance by leaking an IRC chat Snowden was a participant in where he said some right-wing pro-privatisation stuff.

Really?

It's not my nature to think like this but he behaves in such a self-centred manner that it's my gut reaction to him, sorry.

So no nearer an answer to my Q, then?
David Allen Green in the New Statesman piece I linked to earlier says:

"And here there is also an obvious point to be made. The United States has actually not made an extradition request. Although it is reported that there is a “Grand Jury” investigation currently proceeding (and even that there is a “sealed indictment”), there remains no extradition request. There may never be one."

We return therefore to the question of where the suggestion that he might be extradited comes from in the first place.

David Allen Green in the New Statesman piece I linked to earlier says:

"And here there is also an obvious point to be made. The United States has actually not made an extradition request. Although it is reported that there is a “Grand Jury” investigation currently proceeding (and even that there is a “sealed indictment”), there remains no extradition request. There may never be one."

We return therefore to the question of where the suggestion that he might be extradited comes from in the first place.
Call me TFH, but I'd say that Assange's *fear* of an attempted extradition by the US is not without foundation.

Back
Top Bottom