Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tomahawk steakhouse to employees: loan us 10% of your wages or face the sack

If it is legal, it seems like a loophole. If they were actually working, this scheme would be illegal as soon as it took them under minimum wage. Furlough payments don't have to meet NMW.
They presumably do have to meet the overall amount the business is receiving from the government, though?

This is still bugging me. What sort of business decision would lead to you opening a restaurant in London, in the last few months? It's just nuts.

Fuck knows.

Anyway, the address you all need to write your letters of complaint to is on their companies house records, as are the director's names.

Some have called this bullying. Sounds more like a direct threat/demanding money w/menaces. Do X or else.

They're on the list now anyway.

This is still bugging me. What sort of business decision would lead to you opening a restaurant in London, in the last few months? It's just nuts.

Yeah but that's capital investment which is all above the line. That money would have likely been hived off and kept separate from their general budgets which look like they are in a pickle. Basically it looks as if they've not been paying their tax bills properly which is probably one of the main reasons for the new London restaurant.

They have a tax flow crisis and that is the one thing in business that will kill you stone dead and the taxman is the one person you don't want to owe money to in this situation.

Anyway, I'd never heard of Tomahawk until this story broke so a boycott shouldn't be too arduous for me.

A major construction/utilities company I do some work for had 10% off everyone for the month of August last year, 20% of higher paid staff. I had a phone call saying my day rate was being cut by 20% for any days charged in August, but they didn't actually do it, through incompetence I believe, rather than any change of plan

Our biggest US client cut its senior staff salaries by 20% in the first three months of the pandemic and we were ‘asked’ (required) to cut our charges by the same.

oops!

The firm denied the claim staff might lose their jobs, but said all staff had got their money back plus 20% extra.

This is good to know, that no one is out of pocket and that they've made (literally, I imagine) a few quid on top.

Backtracking much?

Back
Top Bottom