Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

facebook announces metaverse - someone shut down the world please.

But you'll actually be able to walk round a metasupermarket and pick off the metathings you want from the metashelves. Won't actually save any time but think how advanced it will feel.
That was apparently the plan with echo, idea was to get people to order stuff verbally and increase sales that way. Turns out its incredibly inconvenient to do so unless you use the same things very regularly and its incredibly standardised as to what you want. Also using the subscribe and save is easier to manage, you actually save by doing so and can alter things when something goes out of stock or randomly increases prices insanely.

Turns out people wanted it as a home control/alarm/lazy googling/etc type product, no one really wants to use it the way Amazon wanted you to.

The description of these virtual worlds sounds exactly the same as my experience with the Oculus Go 4 years ago. Largely empty experiences, except for a few infantile kids and cheesy cartoon rooms with avatars and very little to do. To think of all the Billions of dollars and hype around this thing, and we are still no further along to seeing anything actually interesting/useful.

Years ago, when my kids were still kids, they went on this website (called Fishworld or something) where you kept virtual fish in your own personal tank and were supposed to feed them everyday to make them thrive. You could have a nosey in other people's fish tanks as well. Anyway, they were all full of fish skeletons as no one had continued to feed their fish after the first day.

That's metaverse, that is.

Quite liked this article:

This made for a read that felt more sad than smug. I don't know anyone who uses Metaverse and the only person I know who uses Second Life has a disability that prevents them going outside the house. However, I see these worlds just as a failed example of a larger - often very successful - disconnect. I used to think that all people were interesting if you scratched the surface enough and it was a really chilling experience to meet an increasing number of people who were 'Netflix and chill' inside and out. It's so easy to become merely a spectator, or (if you are proud of your smarts), an information processor. This is tangential but idk, that's what that article made me think of.

I'm waiting to see what Apple do. For sure they're going to produce something fairly costly at first but I'd reckon they will produce something a lot more practical and not aimed at children in virtual 'clubs'.

This made for a read that felt more sad than smug. I don't know anyone who uses Metaverse and the only person I know who uses Second Life has a disability that prevents them going outside the house. However, I see these worlds just as a failed example of a larger - often very successful - disconnect. I used to think that all people were interesting if you scratched the surface enough and it was a really chilling experience to meet an increasing number of people who were 'Netflix and chill' inside and out. It's so easy to become merely a spectator, or (if you are proud of your smarts), an information processor. This is tangential but idk, that's what that article made me think of.
I liked this bit:
The thing about my IRL friendships (and not having them has given me a lot of time to think about this) is that they tend to have a point. They’re grounded in some shared experience — a shared past, a shared task, a shared interest or illness or home or workplace — and they’re usually elaborated via an activity: going to a movie, cycling around the mountains. And when something heartfelt needs to be said, it can be said in the margins of these activities, in the pub afterward, in the café.

Here, in the metaverse, nobody has any connection to anyone else beyond owning a headset, a weak tie if ever there was one. Consequently, the conversations tend to stay on the level of small talk. If you’re a metaverse developer and you regard the details of real life as basically cosplay, then you will see no reason a lasting bond shouldn’t spring up between two avatars floating in cyberspace. But in practice, when you remove everything that gives someone’s life shape and meaning, the essence that’s left doesn’t have a huge amount to say beyond stray thoughts on bitcoin or the latest episode of The Last of Us.
People might be interesting once you get past the surface or they might not be, but without a proper shared context there's not much of a way to do that getting past the surface in the first place. (Interesting to think how u75 resembles or differs from the metaverse in this respect, although I suppose it has more ties to physical places and real-life communities? Basically the metaverse went wrong by not having any connection to Dulwich Hamlet FC, I suppose is where I'm going with this.)

Interesting to think how u75 resembles or differs from the metaverse in this respect

Shared cultural background. UK (discussing cafe breakfasts) & [far] leftie (discussing political issues). The cross-pollination of the two brings other shared experiences in terms of demos, local news, organizations & groups, parties & festivals/etc. It's actually a pretty small pool. Then if you take people who've been here forever you'll have much more shared context (including age). The forum format and tone of discussions requires some ability and willingness to reason in writing, which narrows it down even further.

I get the idea that Meta is a mish-mash in all directions, kids and adults and racists and wankers (literally). Now what happens to internet randos landing here? Well...when I landed, I was certainly thinking before typing.

Back
Top Bottom