Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Asparagus season

Has anyone ever made Hollandaise sauce? Is it within the grasp of an average cook?

I am a pretty good cook and I think hollandaise and mayonnaise are both quite tricky.

This method I think is easy and should work (there's a similar recipe for mayo which is genius and means I can now make my own).

Urban continues to be fantastic. Rowing over asparagus for fucks sake.
Anyway, imported asparagus from Peru or wherever is just wrong. English asparagus is the finest in the world and should be to a person of taste, the only green vegetable eaten in the month of June.

I am a pretty good cook and I think hollandaise and mayonnaise are both quite tricky.

This method I think is easy and should work (there's a similar recipe for mayo which is genius and means I can now make my own).

Thanks for the thought Ms T but I don’t have an immersion blender (or even know what one is!).

it's a stick blender

I don't have one of those, I fear it would result in tomato sauce on the ceiling. Worth getting one?
(I have a trusty jug blender, I'm not some sort of barbarian who leaves everything chunky).

I almost never use my jug blender these days tbh, stick blenders are way more useful. I've never sauced the ceiling, they have guards that stop that happening.

I almost never use my jug blender these days tbh, stick blenders are way more useful. I've never sauced the ceiling, they have guards that stop that happening.
I have a nutriblend but it’s a bit of a pita having to ladle stuff in and out but did used to have one of those cheap stick ones!

Thread needs more cooking tips, I tend to sauté it in olive oil and butter and then have some fried/poached eggs with it and then top the lot with Parmesan, but beyond that I’m a bit clueless with it.
If you eat steak, you might like this.
Parboil your asparagus and then finish them/it off in the still smoking hot pan you have just used to cook the steak, chuck in a big fat blob of butter and a good twist of black pepper. The butter melts and froths and picks up all the steak bits and so you have steak served with asparagus in a buttery steak sauce. Sprinkle of chopped tarragon in at the end if you're feeling fancy. :D
That's what I'm having for tea tonight. Looking forward to it.

Btw was it Isot you recommended the other day? Is it the same as Urfa? I saw some on sale in Waitrose today
Is it black/dark red and flaky? I think it might be the same. Thanks for the tip. Waitrose can be good for some things. Was the only place I located barberries for a Persian dish.

Is it black/dark red and flaky? I think it might be the same. Thanks for the tip. Waitrose can be good for some things. Was the only place I located barberries for a Persian dish.
Yes, that’s it! They’ve got a new range of Levantine/Middle Eastern foodstuffs and for some reason they include Turkish cuisine in that

Back
Top Bottom