Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gone fishing. 2023 season.

Been to Monk Lakes in Kent with my eldest today. First time she's been fishing for ages. We went somewhere a bit nice to make a day of it. Had a competition. We each had a carp rod out to the island and a light float rod or Avon rod to use in the margins as well. We stuck with light float and waggler and that was all we caught on. Skimmers/half decent small bream, the odd roach and rudd, and 1 perch. No tench on the float which is what I was really trying for. Score ended 12 all, which was basically 12 x 1point fish each. No higher scoring fish this time. Higher scoring would have been roach of a 1lb, bream of 5lb etc. Great day out, lovely lakes, well set out and easy access. 15 bucks for the day (a little high but this lake does have big carp)

DSC_5846.JPGDSC_5844.JPG

I've been fishing every day for the last two weeks. Mayfly season on our river (The Alyn). The rivers low now and the fish have moved into more oxygenated water in the rapids but last week was amazing in the fish holding pools.

20230531_185653.jpg

There's a few female spinners about now like the one above. They're egglaying now which bodes well for the next couple of years.

These are the Duns that hatch through the surface after living as nymphs for a couple of years on the riverbed.

20230531_160329.jpg

These are the patterns I've been tying to match the hatch.
20230531_123358.jpg

20230602_163124.jpg

Been to Monk Lakes in Kent with my eldest today. First time she's been fishing for ages. We went somewhere a bit nice to make a day of it. Had a competition. We each had a carp rod out to the island and a light float rod or Avon rod to use in the margins as well. We stuck with light float and waggler and that was all we caught on. Skimmers/half decent small bream, the odd roach and rudd, and 1 perch. No tench on the float which is what I was really trying for. Score ended 12 all, which was basically 12 x 1point fish each. No higher scoring fish this time. Higher scoring would have been roach of a 1lb, bream of 5lb etc. Great day out, lovely lakes, well set out and easy access. 15 bucks for the day (a little high but this lake does have big carp)

View attachment 377409View attachment 377410
Double of her Dad :D

I've bought a caravan near a carp lake (big pond really) I've got sea fishing gear, loads of fly gear, can I use any of this for carp, or should I invest in specific gear? If so what's the minimum I would need?

Martha and I went fishing today, quick evening session. 2 carp rods out and a float rod each again. This time, John Wilson 1.5tc avons ( best rod ever) , 8lb line, on my rod I used a centrepin coz I like to make things harder for myself, hoping for tench or carp but only had roach, rudd and a skimmer between us on float. Had one carp on the right hand carp rod, should have been Martha's but she'd wandered off (to fish the next swim) and that's the way it goes!! We take it in turns so next fish is hers!

Just over 11lb
IMG-20230622-WA0004.jpg

Martha and I went fishing today, quick evening session. 2 carp rods out and a float rod each again. This time, John Wilson 1.5tc avons ( best rod ever) , 8lb line, on my rod I used a centrepin coz I like to make things harder for myself, hoping for tench or carp but only had roach, rudd and a skimmer between us on float. Had one carp on the right hand carp rod, should have been Martha's but she'd wandered off (to fish the next swim) and that's the way it goes!! We take it in turns so next fish is hers!

Just over 11lb
View attachment 380310
Nice fish.

I had this beauty last night.

20230621_175023.jpg

Beautiful blue markings on the gills.

Packing for my next visit to the tropical
Island. Got a better range of fishing gear.
New travel spin rod. Appropriate lures

I even bought a 4 meter whip for dabbling with the tiddlers along the shore line

Still got to try and keep the weight down though.

Packing for my next visit to the tropical
Island. Got a better range of fishing gear.
New travel spin rod. Appropriate lures

I even bought a 4 meter whip for dabbling with the tiddlers along the shore line

Still got to try and keep the weight down though.
Let me know if you want any saltwater flies and lures tying 😉

Finally off the mark with some high tide predators off the rocks.

Using a big weed free Dexter wedge.

Tantalising stuff they were following the lure right up to my feet.

Lost more than I landed and got snapped off by something bigger lurking further out.

Gonna swap the light braid out for mono and put wire trace on.

Teeth like a barracuda about the size of a big mackerel.

Eta I’ve been told by the marine biologists that it was in fact a small barracuda

Last edited:
Another belter of a fight with a baby GT

And a super entertaining rock pool dibble using a whip pole and a teeny worm 🪱 lure snagged this monster 😁

I’m completely out of dexter wedges and the prevailing wind stops the use of less sleek and lighter posh lures as they can’t cast any distance

Going out early on the rising tide.

Hooked something solid yesterday that didn’t fight like a baby GT but was a lot more solid. It just kept going till the hook released.

Going for surface popping as the wind is low

Friday went to get bait etc, shop closed. Went again yesterday, shop closed. Drove into Edinburgh, shop closed.

I will get fishing soon, I'm determined to do so. I've my Spanish licence, my English licence, I will make use of them.

Friday went to get bait etc, shop closed. Went again yesterday, shop closed. Drove into Edinburgh, shop closed.

I will get fishing soon, I'm determined to do so. I've my Spanish licence, my English licence, I will make use of them.
Have you been yet? Where is pond/lake /loch? my son has a flat in Edinburgh, and i plan to go and stay there for a few days. i like a spot of coarse fishing myself, would be good to know of a nearby venue, and how productive it is.

Going out early on the rising tide.

Hooked something solid yesterday that didn’t fight like a baby GT but was a lot more solid. It just kept going till the hook released.

Going for surface popping as the wind is low

Evil office brass has arrived on the island and sizing him up he’d deffo snitch on my fishing breaks so got to play it very low profile/sneaky Beaky 😖

Have you been yet? Where is pond/lake /loch? my son has a flat in Edinburgh, and i plan to go and stay there for a few days. i like a spot of coarse fishing myself, would be good to know of a nearby venue, and how productive it is.
There's Markle Fisheries near me which is a trout lake, Markle Fisheries Home - Markle Fisheries I've not been so cannot comment from personal experience. My f-i-l was a very keen fly Fisher and would go because of how convenient it was.

I don't do coarse, I prefer sea. Dunbar has boats that do pleasure trips. I don't know prices though. Dunbar is quite a trip from Edinburgh though.

You might be better doing surf/beach along the coast at Cockenzie where the power station used to be. The bass is usually good there.

Back
Top Bottom