Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fishing Season 2021

What is it that you’re wanting to do dessiato ? Lure fishing? On the deck with bait? I’m currently kitting myself out for lure fishing this year, & unsurprisingly I’m grabbing some decent gear at a bargain price from a well know auction site. Some of the ‘starter kits’ available are pretty pants tbh.

What is it that you’re wanting to do dessiato ? Lure fishing? On the deck with bait? I’m currently kitting myself out for lure fishing this year, & unsurprisingly I’m grabbing some decent gear at a bargain price from a well know auction site. Some of the ‘starter kits’ available are pretty pants tbh.
My licence only allows rock or surf fishing. I’ll be fishing the Med mainly. My plan is to maybe take one or two fish, any others will be released.

I‘ve never fished the Med. Last time I fished regularly was the Gulf of Mexico, pier and beach. And game fish, sailfish, etc

I've been watching some podcast interviews with various carp anglers. This one with Kevin Nash is a fascinating insight into the history of carp fishing from his experience. Worth a watch

My licence only allows rock or surf fishing. I’ll be fishing the Med mainly. My plan is to maybe take one or two fish, any others will be released.

I‘ve never fished the Med. Last time I fished regularly was the Gulf of Mexico, pier and beach. And game fish, sailfish, etc

Mullet and wrasse then. Purists fly fish for mullet but you can float fish for them with bread or whatever the local fishermen use. Medium weight gear rather than heavy if you are in clear water. I would sniff around what the locals at your preferred destinations are using . Hoy as many back as you can obvs

Mullet and wrasse then. Purists fly fish for mullet but you can float fish for them with bread or whatever the local fishermen use. Medium weight gear rather than heavy if you are in clear water. I would sniff around what the locals at your preferred destinations are using . Hoy as many back as you can obvs
I’m hoping to get to the beach this month, although it seems March is more likely.

I got myself kitted out with a basic set up. But I've not been able to use it due to the province closures.

I'm wondering about going to some nearby lakes and reservoirs. It doesn't appeal much though.

We’ve been hitting the rocky headlands and so far have scored a few joey Mackerel a pollack and a surprise dogfish

that and mussels which aren’t that hard to catch

all a bit amateur hour:D but exciting

I got myself kitted out with a basic set up. But I've not been able to use it due to the province closures.

I'm wondering about going to some nearby lakes and reservoirs. It doesn't appeal much though.
Is it a sea set up yeah? Any light lures you could use to see if there are predatory fish you can target?

Is it a sea set up yeah? Any light lures you could use to see if there are predatory fish you can target?
I went for a specific surf casting set up. I got some help from a local who was also shopping for gear. At one point he even swapped the rod because he thought one of the others was better even though they're the same make/model so I assume that what I've got is good for that coastline.

I really don't know much about surf casting, I've only fished pier and harbour, and game fishing in Gulf of Mexico. I'm out of my depth here.

I went for a specific surf casting set up. I got some help from a local who was also shopping for gear. At one point he even swapped the rod because he thought one of the others was better even though they're the same make/model so I assume that what I've got is good for that coastline.

I really don't know much about surf casting, I've only fished pier and harbour, and game fishing in Gulf of Mexico. I'm out of my depth here.
YouTube is your Friend. Search for 'fishing xxx the type of rod you have xxx'

World sea fishing is an excellent allround fishing forum

just don’t venture onto the non fishing discussion threads as it is toppers with Alf Garnett types

Gonna wait till June 16th this year. Can't wait. The dawn chorus, the midnight owls, silver moon, the carp jumping at dusk. Gonna go full Chris Yates this year and stick to natural waters and over grown and quiet lakes. Bliss. Been rereading BB.

"we fished all night and into the morning. Nothing moved. We were lost in a world of green, and gold and gray"

Despite having got the gear I've yet to use it. Covid restrictions...

Now I've moved I've found a really good fishing shop. The staff are very helpful and spent quite a while going through my options, checking my licence is OK for here, etc.

They suggested worms for off the dockside, and other odd bits. They also suggested different lures. I've got worms in the fridge now. I've been advised on best knots to use for the different hooks. They treated me like an absolute beginner, which I am for this type of fishing. It's a shop I'll return to, even though there's cheaper places.

I'm set up. Now I just have to get there.

Same shop has binnacle compasses, anti-foul paint, different anchors, and a wide range of ropes.

Had a couple of day sessions on the Severn this weekend. A very low & clear river made it hard work, but I did manage to winkle out of a couple of my favourite friends. Tennis elbow is fucking killing me now :D

View attachment 287861
6lb?

Its a beaut. I want someone to take me to barbel hot-spot. I've never got near them I don't think. I think I hooked one once in the river wandle!

6lb?

Its a beaut. I want someone to take me to barbel hot-spot. I've never got near them I don't think. I think I hooked one once in the river wandle!
Try The Old Mill at Aldermaston on the Kennet. A day ticket water full of barbel. I've taken a few people there to catch their first barbel.

Last edited:
Anywhere on this bank (get there well before they open the gate to get pick of the swims). With hallibut pellets. Never failed to catch a barbel there in probably a dozen visits. It can really push through, though, is quite weedy, and bites not always obvious, so take big ledger bombs (no need for feeders), and use braid if you can.

Now is a good time of year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210913_080124.jpg
    Screenshot_20210913_080124.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I have been fishing the river Wandle lately. Pre baiting the swim by tying a oranges net bag with spare meat and wading in the water to tie it to a branch a bit up from where I fish. A steady stream of maggots gets the swim busy. I got two really good roach the last time out. About a pound each from 8 inches of depth.

I am going tomorrow for the first time this year due to health issues. Really looking forward to a good day. I will report back on any success.

My nephew was fishing last week where the river Idle runs into the Trent. He had a couple of decent bream before he hooked into a huge fish, it topped before biting clean through his line, he said he had no chance of landing it on the tackle he was using. His mate and him confirmed it was a huge catfish, enquiries later backed the sighting as locals say that catfish have been caught there recently. How invasive have these monsters become? I have never seen one, up to yet anyway.

Back
Top Bottom