Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Asparagus season

Thread needs more cooking tips, I tend to sauté it in olive oil and butter and then have some fried/poached eggs with it and then top the lot with Parmesan, but beyond that I’m a bit clueless with it.

It’s unusual to see it until May though. As I said, the season traditionally starts on St George’s Day.
Also, you don’t appear to have read the article you posted
I have been getting it easily by Mid March most years. Production has changed with poly tunnels and insulation allowing earlier harvesting. Same for soft fruit that has almost doubled its traditional season by such methods. Tradition is always by definition out of date.

It’s unusual to see it until May though. As I said, the season traditionally starts on St George’s Day.
Also, you don’t appear to have read the article you posted
Fuck off. I read it. Waitrose had it in stock in February last year. It usually available long before At George's Day. Tradition is historic, not current.

“With the help of the mild winter and new growing techniques we have seen our British asparagus spears shoot up ready to be enjoyed earlier than ever before,” said vegetable buyer Lucy Broughton.

“For us, the first British asparagus marks the start of spring and we are excited to be able to offer them to our customers first.”

Grown specially for Waitrose in the south of England, Gijnlim is a very early variety of asparagus. And with the increased light levels and warmer temperatures naturally found in the south coast, the growing season starts earlier thanks to advanced farming techniques.

The asparagus are grown in French tunnels, with fleece tunnels over each bed to keep in the warmth. The substrate is also covered on the sides with black ground cover and a very thin black membrane to protect the spears from the cold while also capturing and retaining the heat from the winter sunshine. The substrate warms up quicker than soil to enable the earlier production.

The early crop will be available in selected Waitrose shops after successfully weathering Storm Ciara and Dennis in recent weeks.

Best asparagus I've had was in Germany , their white asparagus is the nuts . I think they keep a lot of it to themselves :mad: Don't think I've seen it for sale over here (although I haven't looked very hard)
Can't you grow it yourself? It must be possible to grow it here like any other asparagus.

I've made it successfully, it didn't seem that hard. I used Jamie Oliver's method, and just stuck close to it.

That said I've not done it for a few years - I didn't used to find making mayonnaise difficult but it's been a disaster the last few times I've tried, so I've no idea if I could successfully manage hollandaise now. Might give it a crack this weekend to check.

Fuck off. I read it. Waitrose had it in stock in February last year. It usually available long before At George's Day. Tradition is historic, not current.
how rude. From the opening sentence:
Waitrose is stocking its earliest ever crop of British asparagus, eight weeks ahead of the usual season,

how rude. From the opening sentence:
Waitrose is stocking its earliest ever crop of British asparagus, eight weeks ahead of the usual season,
I suggest you do not accuse people of "not reading" their links in future.

The historic season began late April. But early supplies have been available from supermarkets in early March over the past decade. Waitrose made it available in February for the first time.

Apart from folklore you have produced no evidence of the season.

Best asparagus I've had was in Germany , their white asparagus is the nuts . I think they keep a lot of it to themselves :mad: Don't think I've seen it for sale over here (although I haven't looked very hard)
We had some amazing white asparagus and wild garlic soup with a poached egg in it at the German Gymnasium the other week. Best soup I’ve had I reckon. The waiter said the asparagus had just been shipped in from Germany that morning.
The only white asparagus I’ve had before is that awful stringy wet stuff from tins they put on salads in Spain so this was a revelation.

Back
Top Bottom