Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Artificial Intelligence Developments (ChatGPT etc)

A quite long, but interesting, blog about AI and its prospects over the next 12-18 months.

A quite long, but interesting, blog about AI and its prospects over the next 12-18 months.
A good article

What’s frustrating for me is that I was saying literally this same stuff over a year ago:

It’s fine until it’s not. It works at doing your job until it blithely recommends or produces something that is totally inappropriate, or illegal, or offensive, or just plain incorrect, and it has no idea that what it has produced can’t be used because it has no referent, no intentionality, no originality and no understanding. Because it’s just complicated predictive text. As an expert in risk management, the amount of alarm bells this sets off is deafening, the idea that it can replace genuine expertise. Yes, automate the donkey work. But don’t assume that the result is necessarily meaningful.

And I was saying years ago that it’s just not possible for an LLM to be a reliable actor or to become an AGI because that’s not how intelligence works. And if know this, despite not having a PhD or being a researcher in the area or anything, I’m forced to conclude that either those working in it are somehow deluding themselves or they are intentionally lying for the grift.

And I was saying years ago that it’s just not possible for an LLM to be a reliable actor or to become an AGI because that’s not how intelligence works. And if know this, despite not having a PhD or being a researcher in the area or anything, I’m forced to conclude that either those working in it are somehow deluding themselves or they are intentionally lying for the grift.
It's absolutely "sales & marketing". It does a very narrow range of things reasonably well, unless you go into any sort of depth, but it's been sold as HAL, the minds from the culture and the Terminator all rolled into one. I think there's a growing number of people who actually know about it who are saying "hang on, this isn't true" but people have already swallowed a lot of the nonsense.

I used it recently to plan a road trip, it was quite impressive how it altered things based on me adding more conditions, but I'm not sure that's worth building new energy infrastructure for.

TBH I don't think you can really overestimate how gullible a lot of CEOs are and how scared they are of being the one person who didn't take advantage of this world changing tech.

Sam Altman is a grifter par excellence and everyone else has followed his lead and the money.
The Nvidia valuation - and rapid recent rise - is completely mental.

AI Finds That AI Is Great In New Garbage Research From Tony Blair Institute

A new paper from the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change, presented yesterday by the former Prime Minister himself, predicts that more than 40 percent of tasks performed by public-sector workers could be partly automated, saving a fifth of their time in aggregate, and potentially leading to a huge reduction in workforce and costs for the government.

The problem with this prediction, which was picked up by Politico, Techradar, Forbes, and others, is that it was made by ChatGPT after the authors of the paper admitted that making a prediction based on interviews with experts would be too hard..

This is the closest thing to a 'real' short I've seen done with AI so far.

It's still pretty rudimentary, but I liked it. And it's clear there is still a lot of skillful human work required to make something good.

He did a breakdown of how he made it here, which is interesting in itself:

Apparently it took around 50 hours to create this.

Back
Top Bottom