Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Artificial Intelligence Developments (ChatGPT etc)

Can you elaborate? It seems fully legit. But if you know something I dont please share...

I realise I've probably been a total numpty here but they did sell it really well. I've reached out to a friend whos the head of a trading desk for a big bank in Asia. I'm sure he'll tell me I'm even more of an idiot than I usually am ;)

Can you elaborate? It seems fully legit. But if you know something I dont please share...
No, no, you fill your boots. I’m sure this particular guaranteed to-the-moon return is the one that will actually prove to be just fine. You understand all the fine details about how it’s investing, right? And the mechanism by which they are securing the funds and the liquidity mechanism that allows for the money to be returned? And the financial supplier is regulated by the FCA and the BoE? Good good, just checking. Sure it’s fine.

No, no, you fill your boots. I’m sure this particular guaranteed to-the-moon return is the one that will actually prove to be just fine. You understand all the fine details about how it’s investing, right? And the mechanism by which they are securing the funds and the liquidity mechanism that allows for the money to be returned? And the financial supplier is regulated by the FCA and the BoE? Good good, just checking. Sure it’s fine.

My god you're a patronising cunt aren't you?

All of the things you’ve described are classic signs of a dodgy investment site.

Especially encouraging you to test a withdrawal, but also big returns, lack of regulation, cryptocurrency exchange only and I’m sure more.

If this was a massive cast iron money making opportunity, Goldman Sachs etc would have it sewn up and there would be no room for little guys.

Alex

All of the things you’ve described are classic signs of a dodgy investment site.

Especially encouraging you to test a withdrawal, but also big returns, lack of regulation, cryptocurrency exchange only and I’m sure more.

If this was a massive cast iron money making opportunity, Goldman Sachs etc would have it sewn up and there would be no room for little guys.

Alex

No, its fully regulated. I did the test withdrawal to Kraken and that came through instantly. I just checked and the £230 yielded only £20 overnight, but still, better than my savings account. I'm watching it now adding trades, quite interesting. Not gonna add any more money to it for some time though as it defo does have a whiff of dodginess, not denying that.

:) Actually as I was writing that question I was thinking what example wtf etc .. but yes humans are an example. We are more intelligent and where other animals are concerned we do just whatever we like. Would it be like that with intelligent AI I wonder?
Neal Asher posits 'The Quiet War'. Real, weakly godlike AI half designed / half emergent property of many interacting 'simple' AI systems. Anyway with minimal fuss and the fact that the AI runs all the hardware now they simply assume benign command of human affairs. Human supremacists and separatist movements still abound, but Earth Central has wetwork teams for that. But no big nuclear exchange, nothing like an extermination.

Type any address into the virtual browser and it returns the website for it. Like Intergalactic Cable from Rick and Morty, but for webpages.

Okay, that’s definitely fun. As always with these things, the temptation to share one’s creations, even the peer-to-peer hat and beard trading platform, should be resisted.

I remember in the 80s a computer programmer in some U.S. university wrote a program called Eliza (iirc) that mimic'd a psychiatrist chat session. It was very sucessfull with students who found it on uni network and it would often be used in the middle of the night for students to get things off their mind or work through. It was very simple programming and I wrote one myself by following an article in a mag. All it did was scan your input text, and change I to YOU, and reverse somve verbs and throw your sentence back to you .... if it couldnt find a match it would pick a standard phrase at random (like, interesting, do continue). It was surprisingly 'real'
eg
hello Eliza, I feel sad today
Why do you feel sad?
My cat died
interesting, do continue
I loved that cat
why did you loved that cat?
she was my best friend
tell me more about your best friend
etc

Anyway ... there was no intelligence there but we (subconsciously) attribute intelligence to it and it mimics are real conversation (albeit a stiff one)

I think the likes of ChatGPT is like that, but much fancier . The conversation and answers look like its thinking (or bluffing, or bullshitting , etc) but thats just us applying our intelligence and looking for patterns or reasons why B must follow A. A bit like how we say fire is alive. It lives, it feeds, it moves. It even seems to think. And when we cant understand why it does something then we say that its trying to outsmart us or its just being mysterious.

I think true intelligence is when a question is answered that was never asked, ie a leap between 2 unconnected 'ideas'. So we're not there .............................. yet
I’ve met people like that.

The ratio of power used to wholesome fun generated is considerably lower than for almost any other application of LLMs.
It’s not really answering the question. Wholesome fun - lack of imagination.
I only ask because one of the last tasks I worked on was getting answers from Amazon as to the power consumption of their cloud data centers in Ireland and they weee forced to admit that the power was coming not from renewable energy but the grid. Their green certifications were unquantifiable.

I hadn't seen this thing where Zoom is promising you'll be able to send an "AI clone" of yourself to meetings and they will do 90% of your work, but just saw this response to it from a youtuber I follow.

The charitable explanation is that these tech bro bellends are so dumb they don't realise they're the only ones whose job only consists of going to a few meetings and making up some random shit, so a predictive text program really could replace them.

Obviously not the real explanation though.

50 minute video but very entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom