Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Argentina moves to the right

unfortunatly argentina doesnt have a rich economy next door

I'll ignore the rest of your sentence coz frankly it's offensive. But as far as that bit goes - it's sandwiched between Brazil (10th strongest economy in the world, less than a handful of places behind the UK) and Chile which is the 5th largest economy in Latin America and considered high-income and strong in development by the World Bank if you want to play by those rules.

Best (worst) case scenario.

He pegs the peso to the dollar and brings inflation under control. Now hugely restricted in terms of borrowing, he guts the public sector. He encourages private sector borrowing and turns Argentina into a tax haven to attract foreign investment. Companies set up offices in Buenos Aires and money appears to pour in.

So on the surface, he has stabilised the economy and returned Argentina to growth. But what now for the vast majority of Argentinians? Sure, the economy is soaring. The Puma Economy - it will even be given a name. But real wages will stagnate while that which previously was free or affordable will now cost a fortune. A few at the top will share in the boom times. Everyone else will be left behind. And then one day, the emperor's new clothes will be revealed and it will all come crashing down. This will be nothing new in that regard, not the first time the country will have featured among the very richest in the world only to fall away again. It was the destination of choice for immigrants in the 1900s.

Yes fish. We "parasite"off our neighbour's economy.

View attachment 400781

It's very poorly and offensively phrased, but true enough that Ireland has particular circumstances that wouldn't be replicable in Argentina, i.e. access to the EU single market and also the UK market. Setting up a corporate headquarters in Argentina won't give market access to the rest of South America. Also, the amount of labour these tech companies require isn't that great - while becoming a tech hub for the entire MENA region (much larger than South America) has created enough attractive jobs to have some noticeably positive impact on Ireland, Argentina's population isn't far off 10x that of the Republic of Ireland and it isn't going to be a hub for such a large area either as there is no Latin American single market. So it isn't replicable at all.

Not to mention that GDP per capita of Ireland is an accounting illusion and doesn't reflect the wealth of the common person at all, and the housing crisis and other problems.

It's very poorly and offensively phrased, but true enough that Ireland has particular circumstances that wouldn't be replicable in Argentina, i.e. access to the EU single market and also the UK market. Setting up a corporate headquarters in Argentina won't give market access to the rest of South America. Also, the amount of labour these tech companies require isn't that great - while becoming a tech hub for the entire MENA region (much larger than South America) has created enough attractive jobs to have some noticeably positive impact on Ireland, Argentina's population isn't far off 10x that of the Republic of Ireland and it isn't going to be a hub for such a large area either as there is no Latin American single market. So it isn't replicable at all.

Not to mention that GDP per capita of Ireland is an accounting illusion and doesn't reflect the wealth of the common person at all, and the housing crisis and other problems.
Yeah, when I was in Ireland earlier this year, I asked people if everything felt as expensive for them as it was for us as visitors. They said 'yes'.

It's not all illusions. It's been a rocky road since the crisis in 2008, but we still haven't gone back to the poverty of the 1980s. The rest of your points stand, though.

Chile's president is some ex student leftist isn't he? Don't suppose he's going to be the friendliest of neighbours and they never were IIRC, but maybe there's some realpolitik shared interests.

Chile's president is some ex student leftist isn't he? Don't suppose he's going to be the friendliest of neighbours and they never were IIRC, but maybe there's some realpolitik shared interests.

When I was in Patagonia in 2008 I met (shook hands with) both Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner and Michelle Bachelet. They seemed to be getting on. It is possible.

(Yes I know, quelle surprise, about de Kirchner and corruption. That's not the point here.)

This dickhead is more likely to declare war on Chile and demand all Patagonia is Argentinian.

I know this is all very serious, but he looks to me like like Robin Williams on an industrial scale Crack pipe.

It's going to be like a roller coaster through a sewage farm.

Realpolitik isn't something the new wave of right wingers have much of a grasp on in most cases.

Yeah, sadly he will. Unless he's assassinated. He's been directly elected president. There isn't a body of MPs who can lose confidence in him and boot him out.

True, I wonder if his economic 'plan' will last much longer though. His party also only makes up a small fraction of the Argentinian legislature. Don't know how much he'll be able to do via executive order.

If Argentina does invade we will probably get Johnson back as war minister :eek: in his desire to emulate Churchill or Thatcher but more likely Anthony Eden :thumbs: and Sunak will declare it’s a national emergency.

Meanwhile urban will be divided over which is the correct side to back :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom