Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

...and Yemen!

They don’t seem to have found the pair of highly trained navy seals who were mislaid in the Indian Ocean recently.

On a side note - none of the areas along the indian ocean coast line are controlled by the houthis. They are either government or stc controlled, or a mixture of both, or under a different local control.

STC (southern transitional council) is a body of various southern political groups which is represented in the PLC (presidential leadership council), the executive body of Hadi's government.
Remarkably, the STC are a separatist group, seeking indpendence from the north, yet they are united with the current official government.

The houthis remain largely in-active in these areas, although throughout 23 there were reports of attacks which the houthis claimed responsibility for.

A much bigger thread poses al qaida (aqap) in these areas. There have been reports of drone attacks, which is a new development wrt aqap.

Last edited:
On a side note - none of the areas along the indian ocean coast line are controlled by the houthis
Taizz (the second largest city in Yemen) marks the front line between the houthis and the south. It endured a 3000 days long siege which ended in July 23.

Sensationalist crap re-enforcing that the us is the greatest army in the world and therefor has every right to go to war. Propaganda.

Last edited:
From wiki

War in Sadah

The Yemeni Air Force was used extensively against the Houthi insurgency in Yemen. The Yemeni Air Force was proven effective in destroying enemy positions and buildings. Most enemy casualties were attributed to air raids. A number of accidents did occur, including one in which a fighter plane accidentally fired a missile and killed more than 80 civilians. During Operation Scorched Earth on 2 and 5 October and 8 November 2009, three fighter jets reported as a MiG-21 and two Su-22 respectively crashed during military missions. The government claimed the crashes were due to technical malfunctions, while the rebels claimed they shot them down with MANPADS. In 2006, F-5Es, MIG 21s and Su-22s repeatedly bombed Houthi positions all over Saada.[30][31]

War on Terror

As part of the Yemeni al-Qaeda crackdown, the Yemeni Air Force launched air raids on terrorist bases throughout Yemen to kill important terrorist leaders. The raids were confronted with anti-aircraft fire. After Ali Abdullah Saleh declared his support for George Bush in the war on terror, America provided Yemen with military aid. This included the Yemeni air force. The USA helped the YAF through training, funds, and munitions. They also provided them with Aircraft and Helicopters including 2 Cessna 208 light transport planes, 2 C-130 Hercules Cargo planes, 14 F-5E fighter jets, 1 CASA CN.295 medium cargo plane, 1 Beechcraft super king air, 3 Bell 206 helicopters, 6 Bell 212 helicopters, 3 Bell 214 helicopters, and 4 UH-1H helicopters. The Yemeni air force benefited immensely from US assistance. The US trained them in providing close air support for Yemeni Special Forces fighting against Al Qaeda.[32]

And

The Yemeni Air Force did not completely join the Houthi rebels, as most of the personnel refused to take orders from their former enemy. Also the maintenance of the air-frames was mostly halted since the ousting of the Saleh regime in 2012[36][37] and thus, at the beginning of 2015, the situation of the Air Force seemed chaotic with most of the personnel deserted and air-frames lacking maintenance, effectively preventing the Yemeni Air Force to enter in the fight, remaining grounded during the Saudi-led intervention.[38]

Somewhere in the back of my mind i remember that saleh's son in law was given command of the YAF in a transitional deal when power was handed over to hadi, but that might be bollocks.....can't remember

i saw this recommended
podcast with current episode 'Airstrikes on Yemen and the Future of the Middle East' recorded this week and below it a five part history on Yemeni politics to give context, so six hours worth in all

ETA: some very suspect political analysis and bias on this thing, but i presume the historical fact is accurate

Last edited:
i saw this recommended
podcast with current episode 'Airstrikes on Yemen and the Future of the Middle East' recorded this week and below it a five part history on Yemeni politics to give context, so six hours worth in all

ETA: some very suspect political analysis and bias on this thing, but i presume the historical fact is accurate

Pretty good recourse.
23's annnual report is worth a read

and? any thoughts on your link?
I have learned that NZ is sending 6 people to fight the Houthis and that the Houthis have launched attacks before the current Gaza crisis. I have also seen a picture of 'the Houthis' 'holding a rally'. Of course we don't know if these 'Houthi fighters and tribesmen' are in fact Houthi fighters and tribesmen, and whether they are holding a rally or not.

Houthis got a tanker with a missile. Currently on fire.

:)
reporting so far: "its just a scratch" and no images... feels like playing down how bad the damage is to me - maybe it is containable, but if it isnt....

the one picture on twitter that seems to be legit is this one, but who knows
GE1uQsYWsAAFRvj.jpg

and possibly this one?
GE1O_BQWcAEDcZ7.jpg

both unverified

Back
Top Bottom