Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

...and Yemen!

latest on the hit and abandoned Rubymar:

!Its crew was evacuated to Djibouti after one missile hit the side of the ship, causing water to enter the engine room and its stern to sag, said its operator, the Blue Fleet Group.

A second missile hit the vessel's deck without causing major damage, Blue Fleet CEO Roy Khoury told AFP.

Yemen's Iran-backed Huthi rebels had claimed on Monday the attack on the ship, saying it was "at risk of potential sinking in the Gulf of Aden" after receiving "extensive damage".

Khoury said the ship was still afloat and shared an image captured on Wednesday that showed its stern low in the water.

"She will be towed to Djibouti but the tugboat has not yet arrived," Khoury said. "It should be there in two to three days."

When asked about the possibility of it sinking, Khoury said there was "no risk for now but always a possibility".

Ship-tracking site TankerTrackers.com confirmed that the Rubymar had not sunk but warned that the vessel was leaking fuel oil.!

Submarine comms cables through the Red Sea have been damaged over the weekend.
SEACOM submarine cable network, connecting ME/India and E Africa to Europe.
Perhaps even sabotaged - there was speculation a few weeks ago that this might be a forthcoming target, indeed TeleYemen flagged up this possibility.

An interlude from war war war provided by wonderful photos and narrative of Socotra island off the coast of Yemen:

Change of aqap leadership - the death of khaled batarfi was announced yesterday, to be replaced by saad al awlaki.

The cause for batarfis death is not known.
He was saudi born and had a US bounty of 5 million dollars on his head.

Awlaki has a bounty of 6 million dollars on his head

The only noteworthy thing related to the above statement is that britain hasn't had an embassy in Sana'a since 2015.

The way things have been developing and the more i think about, the more likely i find it that yemen will seperate into 2 different countries, n and s yemen, in the not too distant future.

The way things have been developing and the more i think about, the more likely i find it that yemen will seperate into 2 different countries, n and s yemen, in the not too distant future.
I will expand on this at some point when I have time

More insistent demands from western powers for the Houthi’s to immediately cease fire. Fucking hypocrites. Attack ships equals money equals ceasefire. Kill thirty thousand people, carry on.

More insistent demands from western powers for the Houthi’s to immediately cease fire. Fucking hypocrites. Attack ships equals money equals ceasefire. Kill thirty thousand people, carry on.
agreed about the hypocrites bit, but Yemen NEEDS a ceasefire. The Houthis ramped up their inner-Yemen campaign quite a bit over the last weeks and work closer than ever with Al Qaida and Islah. They are trying hard to expand their territory. (23 has been a relatively peaceful year for Yemen, with all sides pretty much sticking to their borders).
The Houthis are using starvation and the very low value of the Rial and aid in the South to their advantage, and fighting a ruthless campaign.

They are trying hard to expand their territory. (23 has been a relatively peaceful year for Yemen, with all sides pretty much sticking to their borders).

Kill thirty thousand people, carry on.
Not directed at you, and by no means a numbers game, but worth mentioning that an estimated 150 000 yemenis have lost their lives as a direct result of military action in the first 8 years since and during the Houthi take over.
Another 250 000 have starved to death or have died due to avoidable illnesses and lack of health care in the same period.

At least 20 inc a family of 9 dead after houthi attack in al bayda.

Al bayda has been on the front line since the early days of the war. It is a stunningly beautiful area.

This has nothing to do with the houthi's stance against the west or israel.
This is about land grabbing, terrorising a population, and greed

Back
Top Bottom