Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

...and Yemen!

Rishi Sunak responds by saying that he has been in touch with international partners about events in the Middle East. He stresses that it is important that no one takes away that the parliament believes the UK's strikes were linked to the fighting in Israel and Gaza - "they are entirely distinct", he says.

I knew of two strikes - one us vessel was hit in the indian ocean, another rocket was fired at a vessel in the red sea but came down inland.
Bbc don't make the location clear.

Nevermind though, doesn't really matter.

Rishi Sunak responds by saying that he has been in touch with international partners about events in the Middle East. He stresses that it is important that no one takes away that the parliament believes the UK's strikes were linked to the fighting in Israel and Gaza - "they are entirely distinct", he says.
Yawn. Nothing to do at all with israel / gaza.

By the way, is there any evidence that US imperialism, or any other imperialilst state, once encouraged the Houthis movement?

Indian ocean attack matters a bit though, it's a bit further south east, which widens things a bit
The port of hodeida in the red sea has been the main distribution port for aid and commercial goods for the northern parts of yemen until a sea blockade was introduced and its cranes were damaged beyond usage. Ever since aden and mukalla in the indian ocean fulfilled its role.
They are both barely functioning and esp mukalla is stretched well beyond its capabilities.
A study in 2020 estimated that 50 million dollars were needed to bring these ports up to standard.
Disabling these ports would carry dire consequences.

Pls bare in mind that the houthi's incredibly swift rise to power was saleh's brain child, supported by the us, the uk, the saudis,

By the way, is there any evidence that US imperialism, or any other imperialilst state, once encouraged the Houthis movement?
If you are referring to the above post of mine, I'd like to clarify that the 'supported by' bit refers to saleh, not salehs alliance with houthis.

Clumsy wording from my part, sorry.

Prior to hus ousting saleh was an ally in the war on terror.

He spent time in saudi after a failed assassination attempt, from where he orchestrated his houthi alliance which came as quite a shock to saudi and us.

EU member states have meanwhile given initial backing to create a European naval mission to help protect shipping from Houthi rebels, European diplomats said on Tuesday. Such a mission would reinforce a US-led naval taskforce, Prosperity Guardian, established last month, as western powers struggle to keep the route linking the Mediterranean, the Suez Canal, the Red Sea and the Indian Ocean, open to global shipping.

Back
Top Bottom