Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

And next, Syria?

Over a population in revolt supported militarily, financially and politically by the worlds sole superpower , Britain , France, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the Gulf states and Jordan. And hordes of bearded maniacs from the 4 corners of the earth.

No, that's not possible. It's totally impossible . Only a fuckwit would think it possible .

Assad is reliant on assistance...of course he fucking is. Because the main NATO countries have been actively fuelling a war against him for the past 5 years and every bearded maniac on Gods earth has been flowing in , with the active assistance of turkeys military and sage havens inside turkey, it has taken massive attrition against his army. His country is also under military and economic blockade by the west . This happened in Spain during the 30s too . They were reliant on outside aid . It didn't mean their own people were against them .

I've showed you were the Syrian Army are winning. So have other posters. We've all posted links which show exactly how . Go back and fucking read them properly. It points it out quite clearly . Unless you can't read

Words

Or maps .

Oh so now he's 'reliant on assistance' and not the glorious well staffed, well trained army full of fiercly loyal working class Syrians ready to die for the great leader. Of course 'reliant on assistance' means fucked without them in everyone else's world but CR's. You seem to know something Assad doesn't because even he recognises he's fucked without them but he of course uses different language.

Yes dear it's all Nato and America pulling the strings and dear old Putin will save the glorious leader Assad's bacon, we get it. Change the fucking record.

I think you just use this thread to talk to yourself and anyone who engages you is an minor inconvenience. You still haven't answered my questions and you have, once again, put words in my mouth.

Yes the Syrian people all love Assad, that's why thousands of them revolted against him in 2011 and why his regime raped, tortured and murdered them but suddenly they all love him now and are back just screaming to join up and fight to keep the murderer on the throne. Those ten million displaced people are just gagging to pull on a uniform and fight the good fight.

I have told you once already I have no horse in this race. I have also told you I am anti-imperialist. The fact remains that the regime have committed atrocities on a wholesale basis along with others. They should all have to pay for what they have done but I hold no great hope that this will come to pass.

I don't care how many times you say that, you keep posting rebel sources and pro western sources despite being repeatedly shown how they are just western funded shills. It has no effect. Zero effect on you .You incessantly post western funded propaganda where western and CIA funded rebel supporters and activists are the source.

Anti simply imperialists don't do what your doing . It's pro imperialist dung and you've littered every page with it .

Oh so now he's 'reliant on assistance' and not the glorious well staffed, well trained army full of fiercly loyal working class Syrians ready to die for the great leader. Of course 'reliant on assistance' means fucked without them in everyone else's world but CR's. You seem to know something Assad doesn't because even he recognises he's fucked without them but he of course uses different language.

Yes dear it's all Nato and America pulling the strings and dear old Putin will save the glorious leader Assad's bacon, we get it. Change the fucking record.

I think you just use this thread to talk to yourself and anyone who engages you is an minor inconvenience. You still haven't answered my questions and you have, once again, put words in my mouth.

Yes the Syrian people all love Assad, that's why thousands of them revolted against him in 2011 and why his regime raped, tortured and murdered them but suddenly they all love him now and are back just screaming to join up and fight to keep the murderer on the throne. Those ten million displaced people are just gagging to pull on a uniform and fight the good fight.

Look, I can get this horseshit from Cameron or Hilary Clinton . I've shown your nonsense up . As have a few others. It's clear you'll just ignore that, make some more stuff up I haven't actually said or whatever , and so in the absence of any actual substance to your posts I'll just let you have the last word.

Meanwhile the Syrian Army will just keep on winning .

I don't care how many times you say that, you keep posting rebel sources and pro western sources despite being repeatedly shown how they are just western funded shills. It has no effect. Zero effect on you .You incessantly post western funded propaganda where western and CIA funded rebel supporters and activists are the source.

Anti simply imperialists don't do what your doing . It's pro imperialist dung and you've littered every page with it .
Nurse! :D

Last edited:
Right..your source is some site that's talking about a handful of Facebook posts it doesn't even link to .

That's your comeback now ?

Some Facebook posts you haven't even seen yourself ? Vs massive Syrian Army advances on numerous fronts, taking strongholds that have stood for 4 years, The fall of all rebel positions in Latakia, the cutting of virtually all major rebel supply lines from Turkey, the lifting of 2 massive 4 year sieges ,the encirclement of Alleppo and the impending fall of Idlib and Jisr Al Shugur..which will pretty much end the war against the rebels and just leave the SAA vs IS for the final showdown .

Some supposed Facebook posts you haven't even seen .

Also in case you haven't noticed it Russian intervention has massively boosted morale . As have the non stop string of victories over the last few months on multiple fronts .

Look at the date of the post, clever dick.

Yes, as I have said repeatedly, the murdering fuck twunt Assad has made advances because he has Russian airpower and Iranian mercernaries backing him. I haven't disputed that, learn to fucking read. I dispute the significance of those gains in the wider context of the conflict. I don't think they amount to as much as you think they do.

But you carry on mate, talking, no, shouting at yourself, ignoring any inconvenient facts that contradict your world view, brushing under the carpet the fact you openly cheerlead for a murdering, raping, child torturing shit cunt who if the west was backing you'd be flapping your arms all over the place and boring us all with your TLDR replies to everything about it. The fact you have to constantly deflect, distort and lie your way through every single post speaks deafening volumes about you and the extremely dodgy views you hold.

I dispute the significance of those gains in the wider context of the conflict. I don't think they amount to as much as you think they do.

Then your completely stupid and have no clue. The rebels are totally reliant on supply lines from turkey. As in totally .the links myself and others have posted explain very clearly the recent offensives are completely cutting those off . Without Turkish supplied weaponry and ammunition they can't fight. They also can't get reinforcements in from Turkey . Or get out if theyre encircled .which many of them can see coming down the line , so a lot of them are just fucking off and not hanging around to be slaughtered . Which they will be if they stay .

They've also had their fuel supply from IS territory cut. Theyve been totally flanked on that side . So they won't be able to move around either...tanks and trucks and technicals need fuel . Guns, mortars and artillery need ammunition. Ammunition needs to be moved about . All up the left now .

Their ability to do this essential logistical stuff that determines outcomes in war is on the verge of collapse .

. The links weve posted also make clear the arse has dropped out of their morale and they aren't reinforcing fronts , with other rebel leaders condemning the other groups for leaving them stranded . So theyre being swallowed up ,piece by piece without any means of reversal . They are being routed and increasingly it's only Al Qaeda that has the appetite for a fight . And they're being massacred .

Taking out the previously impregnable rebel mountain forts in Latakia leaves the Syrian army now overlooking the Al Ghab plains . It's a straight run from there to Idlib and Jisr and with that the Turkish border is virtually sealed to all intents and purposes . Now the rebels can't hope to stop that happening , previously they sat in the hills and wiped out Syrian armour on the plains with TOWs . No way to stop them now .

The SAA have most of the Latakia hills and mountains and can now cover everything with artillery . Being on those plains will be a duck shoot once that artillerys in place . Which it will be quite shortly . The head choppers only have a few hills left at the bottom near the plains. Since taking Salma and Rabia Fotresses which were the highest points in Latakia ..with hardly any casualties...the SAA are looking down on them from a height and can snuff them out .

Aleppo is Syrias largest city and now it's virtually surrounded on all sides. With no hope of either reinforcement, relief, or resupply . The Syrian govt itself also controls a very large chunk of Aleppo city as it is . The rebels there are fucked too .

That's what's just happened . You need to take this on board if you're going to discuss this . The only thing that can stop a total rebel collapse at this point is a Turkish invasion . Which is why Erdogan is throwing shapes about invasion. He's fucked too .

This isn't propaganda, this has actually happened . You plainly have not a single clue about what taking strategic points actually means .

Last edited:
"Kind-hearted people might of course think there was some ingenious way to disarm or defeat the enemy without too much bloodshed, and might imagine this is the true goal of the art of war. Pleasant as it sounds, it is a fallacy that must be exposed: War is such a dangerous business that mistakes that come from kindness are the very worst."

- Carl von Clausewitz

Headchopping scum:

“They stole the Revolution from us!” exclaims Majd, an early actor in the Syrian Spring, now a recent refugee in France. Since the popular uprising in March, 2011, networks of resistance have formed in the continuum between militants in exile and those working in Syria’s liberated zones. Ignored by the media that favor endless geopolitical analyses, these networks have had to endure ferocious repression and to cope with the rapid militarization of the uprising, caught between the development of Islamist and jihadist movements backed by Western and regional powers. Finally, they see themselves betrayed by an official opposition of stay-at-home, corrupt, and disembodied notables in exile. Despite all this, these networks try to hold on to the revolutionary spirit they had at the beginning. Even when they find themselves driven back to struggling for survival in the beseiged zones, not surrendering is their last hope of one day seeing the tyranny fall.

Oussama, an ex-functionary of the Foreign Ministry who is now in Beirut, witnessed this tipping point in Douma, a “liberated” town located northeast of the capital in eastern Ghouta (the agricultural countryside around Damascus): “In 2012, we began to feel under siege. At this time, I lost close comrades who were summarily killed at the checkpoints. There was no arrest, no trial, nothing. We were afraid to move. The first person I lost was my nephew. A university student, he was arrested and tortured for 70 days. Next, I lost my cousin, a Douma shopkeeper, killed by government soldiers. After that, I lost my childhood friend who lived in the same area; he was killed by a sniper. At the end of 2014, there were 24 snipers in Douma who covered all the streets.” Majd also participated in Douma’s popular uprising by acting as a reporter: someone from an illiterate family, who had never before engaged in political activity: “The political discussions which emerged out of coordinating the revolution ceased to exist; the level of violence reduced discussion to zero. The territory was divided, marked off by snipers’ locations. All demonstrations disappeared; the activists were caught up in the humanitarian emergency that the repression imposed. The militant spirit changed, we had just lost the initiative of the revolution.”

Hani, Salma, and Majd are part of one the largest networks still active around Damascus, a network attached to the local coordinating committee and organized around the personality of Rasan Zeitouneh. This young Damascus lawyer, along with her husband Wael Hamada and two of her colleagues (including the wife of the writer Yassin al-Haj Saleh) were kidnapped. Everything suggests that a local warlord, whom the regime’s forces had liberated from jail, committed the abduction.1 Rasan Zeitouneh had contributed to the Violations Documentation Center which works on documenting the regime’s crimes and which demands that all political prisoners be freed. At Douma, she started a women’s protection center where more than 300 women regularly distribute survival baskets: for Douma’s residents, survival has become a means of resistance.

Hani, formerly a restorer of old houses, an occupation he had to give up in 2012, recounts the first steps of the collective of activist engineers that he helped found in Damascus: “In 2013, you could go back and forth in the free zone. Cut off from basic needs like water, electricity, gas, another world was taking shape. We began by testing models of solar-powered stoves, of liquified gas tanks, in Damascus, then distributed them to other districts, in order to find alternatives to state-run energy sources. A Douma peasant agreed to put our tests into practice. This network has been active for two years. In the beginning, it operated from contributions, but the local population became impoverished. We are looking for outside support. This is our way of participating in the revolution. But it has a frustrating side, because today the reality of the resistance is at the front.”

Around the same time, south of Damascus in the Palestinian camp of Yarmouk, Abou Selma, a teacher of Arabic at the university, established the first free school there since the dictator put the village under embargo. This former militant of the Palestinian Communist Party has since distanced himself from the school because of its relations with the regime. With the air strikes in July 2012, Yarmouk definitely entered the revolution. “Since the first bombing raid, shelling has occurred on a daily basis and they have targeted the schools. The Yarmouk schools that depended on UNRWA (the UN) closed. I, my wife, and a niece found a wedding hall in a basement called ‘The Golden Hall of Damascus;’ it became ‘The Damascus School.’ We had two half-days of school and around 1,200 pupils—the numbers fluctuated.

These activist networks in Douma, as in other zones in Syria, depend more or less upon the local councils, through which the resistance attempted to structure itself across the country. In October 2011, Oma Aziz, an anarchist militant who died in prison in February, 2013, founded the local committee of Berzeh (a municipality north of Damascus). He called upon Syrians to organize themselves into self-governing bodies, independent of the state, by means of horizontal and collaborative practices. Today, every province has a council except Damascus, the heart of the state’s security system.

Most of our contacts understood organizing at the local level, including the purely humanitarian and survival missions, as a form of resistance to Bashar al-Assad’s scorched earth policy for the besieged zones. In the beginning, it was necessary at all costs to prevent Assad’s policy from carrying everything away in its path and at the same time to create a replacement administration to take over the important public services (justice, water, sanitation). Salma clarifies the importance of these local councils: “In certain towns, the local councils succeeded in persuading public sector employees to remain at their posts, notably in schools and power plants, even after the regime cut the salaries of civil employees in the free zones in order to incite them to quit.” She continues: “Derraya, that’s the most advanced project since the revolution. It has always been the most open city with the first political initiatives starting in 2002 – 2003, such as the municipal library and organized street cleaning to make up for the state’s shortcomings. It has really frightened the regime. The city has remained mobilized despite the intense bombings undertaken by Maher al-Assad, the president’s brother and commander of the fourth division. Life under the blockade is hard: there is no agricultural land to help withstand the siege. But the residents are not giving into Assad’s pressure, even when he dangles a cease-fire.” Derraya, located in the Rif near Damascus, is considered to have the most experienced local council. While it has become one of the hottest fronts of the conflict, since 2012 armed groups have to submit to the local council’s authority and military operations have to be discussed with the civil authorities.

Oussama recalls Douma’s local councils: “This city has been under siege for at least two years, but it continues to look for alternatives and to be united without returning to a hierarchical system. The residents have succeeded in creating a civil system, and while they live under exceedingly difficult conditions, it is systematized and organized. We have a democratically elected local council, which ensures municipal work. Military groups remain outside the town; it is forbidden to bring weapons into town.”

Of course there's a parallel theft with the military strongmen and obsessive parroters of former US generals going on above.

Yes, as has been repeatedly and incessantly pointed out, so what? What do you think's going to happen? Syria is saved? The united Syria will return to former glory with your mass murdering great leader, Assad at the helm?

You again, totally, skirt around the issue that you're cheer leading for a murdering shit cunt who's overseen the mass rape, torture and murder of his own people. You then insult those people by claiming they've all suddenly signed up to fight for their glorious leader. Don't worry about the fact Assad had to issue a large crackdown on draft dodgers and force soldiers to fight beyond their obligatory two year conscripted service because that doesn't fit your narrative. The fact he completely and utterly depends on, not just for assistance, but completely and utterly depends on Russian air power and Iranian and Hezbollah mercenaries also doesn't fit your narrative. That's the only reason he's seeing any success. Your 'he's beating the head choppers' is also bollocks, you know full well he's hardly touched Isis and Russia's hardly bombed them but to you the FSA are the 'head choppers' everyone's a 'western backed head chopper' according to you.

If you didn't so cowardly have on ignore people who can counter your horseshit way better than I can you might learn something.

Last edited:
Yup, apologist for crimes against humanity and when pressed for a response on issues such as these repeatedly ignores the questions as if they were never asked.

Headchopping scum:

“They stole the Revolution from us!” exclaims Majd, an early actor in the Syrian Spring, now a recent refugee in France. Since the popular uprising in March, 2011, networks of resistance have formed in the continuum between militants in exile and those working in Syria’s liberated zones. Ignored by the media that favor endless geopolitical analyses, these networks have had to endure ferocious repression and to cope with the rapid militarization of the uprising, caught between the development of Islamist and jihadist movements backed by Western and regional powers. Finally, they see themselves betrayed by an official opposition of stay-at-home, corrupt, and disembodied notables in exile. Despite all this, these networks try to hold on to the revolutionary spirit they had at the beginning. Even when they find themselves driven back to struggling for survival in the beseiged zones, not surrendering is their last hope of one day seeing the tyranny fall.

Oussama, an ex-functionary of the Foreign Ministry who is now in Beirut, witnessed this tipping point in Douma, a “liberated” town located northeast of the capital in eastern Ghouta (the agricultural countryside around Damascus): “In 2012, we began to feel under siege. At this time, I lost close comrades who were summarily killed at the checkpoints. There was no arrest, no trial, nothing. We were afraid to move. The first person I lost was my nephew. A university student, he was arrested and tortured for 70 days. Next, I lost my cousin, a Douma shopkeeper, killed by government soldiers. After that, I lost my childhood friend who lived in the same area; he was killed by a sniper. At the end of 2014, there were 24 snipers in Douma who covered all the streets.” Majd also participated in Douma’s popular uprising by acting as a reporter: someone from an illiterate family, who had never before engaged in political activity: “The political discussions which emerged out of coordinating the revolution ceased to exist; the level of violence reduced discussion to zero. The territory was divided, marked off by snipers’ locations. All demonstrations disappeared; the activists were caught up in the humanitarian emergency that the repression imposed. The militant spirit changed, we had just lost the initiative of the revolution.”

Hani, Salma, and Majd are part of one the largest networks still active around Damascus, a network attached to the local coordinating committee and organized around the personality of Rasan Zeitouneh. This young Damascus lawyer, along with her husband Wael Hamada and two of her colleagues (including the wife of the writer Yassin al-Haj Saleh) were kidnapped. Everything suggests that a local warlord, whom the regime’s forces had liberated from jail, committed the abduction.1 Rasan Zeitouneh had contributed to the Violations Documentation Center which works on documenting the regime’s crimes and which demands that all political prisoners be freed. At Douma, she started a women’s protection center where more than 300 women regularly distribute survival baskets: for Douma’s residents, survival has become a means of resistance.

Hani, formerly a restorer of old houses, an occupation he had to give up in 2012, recounts the first steps of the collective of activist engineers that he helped found in Damascus: “In 2013, you could go back and forth in the free zone. Cut off from basic needs like water, electricity, gas, another world was taking shape. We began by testing models of solar-powered stoves, of liquified gas tanks, in Damascus, then distributed them to other districts, in order to find alternatives to state-run energy sources. A Douma peasant agreed to put our tests into practice. This network has been active for two years. In the beginning, it operated from contributions, but the local population became impoverished. We are looking for outside support. This is our way of participating in the revolution. But it has a frustrating side, because today the reality of the resistance is at the front.”

Around the same time, south of Damascus in the Palestinian camp of Yarmouk, Abou Selma, a teacher of Arabic at the university, established the first free school there since the dictator put the village under embargo. This former militant of the Palestinian Communist Party has since distanced himself from the school because of its relations with the regime. With the air strikes in July 2012, Yarmouk definitely entered the revolution. “Since the first bombing raid, shelling has occurred on a daily basis and they have targeted the schools. The Yarmouk schools that depended on UNRWA (the UN) closed. I, my wife, and a niece found a wedding hall in a basement called ‘The Golden Hall of Damascus;’ it became ‘The Damascus School.’ We had two half-days of school and around 1,200 pupils—the numbers fluctuated.

These activist networks in Douma, as in other zones in Syria, depend more or less upon the local councils, through which the resistance attempted to structure itself across the country. In October 2011, Oma Aziz, an anarchist militant who died in prison in February, 2013, founded the local committee of Berzeh (a municipality north of Damascus). He called upon Syrians to organize themselves into self-governing bodies, independent of the state, by means of horizontal and collaborative practices. Today, every province has a council except Damascus, the heart of the state’s security system.

Most of our contacts understood organizing at the local level, including the purely humanitarian and survival missions, as a form of resistance to Bashar al-Assad’s scorched earth policy for the besieged zones. In the beginning, it was necessary at all costs to prevent Assad’s policy from carrying everything away in its path and at the same time to create a replacement administration to take over the important public services (justice, water, sanitation). Salma clarifies the importance of these local councils: “In certain towns, the local councils succeeded in persuading public sector employees to remain at their posts, notably in schools and power plants, even after the regime cut the salaries of civil employees in the free zones in order to incite them to quit.” She continues: “Derraya, that’s the most advanced project since the revolution. It has always been the most open city with the first political initiatives starting in 2002 – 2003, such as the municipal library and organized street cleaning to make up for the state’s shortcomings. It has really frightened the regime. The city has remained mobilized despite the intense bombings undertaken by Maher al-Assad, the president’s brother and commander of the fourth division. Life under the blockade is hard: there is no agricultural land to help withstand the siege. But the residents are not giving into Assad’s pressure, even when he dangles a cease-fire.” Derraya, located in the Rif near Damascus, is considered to have the most experienced local council. While it has become one of the hottest fronts of the conflict, since 2012 armed groups have to submit to the local council’s authority and military operations have to be discussed with the civil authorities.

Oussama recalls Douma’s local councils: “This city has been under siege for at least two years, but it continues to look for alternatives and to be united without returning to a hierarchical system. The residents have succeeded in creating a civil system, and while they live under exceedingly difficult conditions, it is systematized and organized. We have a democratically elected local council, which ensures municipal work. Military groups remain outside the town; it is forbidden to bring weapons into town.”

Of course there's a parallel theft with the military strongmen and obsessive parroters of former US generals going on above.

Here I'll quote it for you, CR. I'm sure it'll be wasted on you as women delivering food baskets under heavy siege by your mate's brother are all obviously 'western backed head choppers' of course.

Today, the media focus on actors in the conflict who represent only a minority of the people actually involved, when it is the majority of the Syrians who rose up! But that has no value in the eyes of the West. We have all become sneaks or supporters of Daesh.

That's you, CR. You're the sort of person he's decrying. That's what you've portrayed them as. All head chopping scum.

Last edited:
Your not seriously expecting him to read it, are you?
Of course not but he'll at least get to see it. I'm happy to contribute to his cognitive dissonance. He knows he's supporting a mass murdering scum bag. Anything that repeatedly forces him to confront that reality, even just in his own head, is worthwhile.

Bugger I know I shouldn't,but the temptation is just to much;)

"Why can't he just accept he was peddling wrongness and it's pissed a lot of people off and made him quite unpopular ?"
Casually Red , earlier on another thread;)

"Kind-hearted people might of course think there was some ingenious way to disarm or defeat the enemy without too much bloodshed, and might imagine this is the true goal of the art of war. Pleasant as it sounds, it is a fallacy that must be exposed: War is such a dangerous business that mistakes that come from kindness are the very worst."

- Carl von Clausewitz
Deliberately targeting hospitals and medical staff is a war crime. Torture of prisoners is a crime against humanity. Mass starvation is a crime against humanity. If you cannot win without resorting to methods such as these against your own people no less, then you have abrogated any right to govern in the first place.

e2a

Last edited:
La Stampa in Italy reporting that YPG are fighting against the rebels in Aleppo, de facto on the same side as the SAA if not directly collaborating with them. Can't see anything about this on mainstream English sites.

I curdi nella battaglia di Aleppo

(article in italian, but it basically says):

Kurds have taken Aleppo airport from the rebels
turkey pissed off, turkey supporting rebels that the Kurds have beaten
Brett McGurk visits Kobane, further pissing off turkey
erdogan says american has to choose between turkey and kurds

A lot of people are saying that, including Syrian friends on my Facebook, but I don't know the truth of the matter.

More on possible plans for Saudi and Turkish ground troops. FT article so c&p

Saudi Arabia is discussing plans to deploy ground troops with regional allies, including Turkey, for a safe zone in Syria, in a last-ditch effort to keep alive a rebellion at risk of collapse as a Russian-backed offensive by Syrian regime forces encroaches on the northern province of Aleppo.

Although western officials have dismissed the plans as lacking credibility, they are a sign of the desperation that many of Syria’s opposition backers feel towards what looks like an increasingly bleak outcome in the war. Two people familiar with Saudi plans told the Financial Times that high-ranking Gulf officials are in Riyadh meeting Turkish officials to discuss options for deploying ground troops to head a coalition of fighters inside Syria.

Aleppo city, Syria’s former business hub, is the last significant urban centre controlled by the rebels. Its countryside, on the northern border with Turkey, is their lifeline.

President Bashar al-Assad’s forces, bolstered by Iranian-funded Shia militias, advanced last week into opposition-held territory in Aleppo’s northern countryside under the cover of Russian air strikes. The violence prompted thousands of civilians to flee, exacerbating the already vast humanitarian crisis.

Publicly, Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain are calling for troops to be deployed as part of the US-led international coalition already ranged against Isis. This comes after Washington singled out Arab countries for not doing more to fight the Islamist group. But regional observers say the moves are cover for an intervention to help the Syrian rebels.

Saudi officials are aiming to come up with a plan in the next few weeks. Brigadier General Ahmed Asiri, spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen, said on Monday that Saudi Arabia would be willing to join any broader international ground force in Syria. “We’re not there yet, but we are very close,” one person familiar with the plans told the FT, asking not to be identified.

The plans appear to be led by Riyadh’s defence minister and deputy crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, whose involvement makes some diplomats reluctant to rule out an attempted intervention. “I see all kinds of red flags. But there is a new level of unpredictability and erratic behaviour in the new Saudi government,” said one western diplomat. “With Mohammed bin Salman, you just don’t know.”

A Saudi official said that “there is not a single plan yet [on military action], the coalition is yet to decide”.

80bfc5c6-cf4a-11e5-92a1-c5e23ef99c77.img

Turkey, frustrated with US support for a Syrian Kurdish militia, the YPG, has its own reasons for intervening. It is keen to undo advances made by the Kurds along its border, said one Turkish official.

However, a senior official in the Turkish prime minister’s office denies that it is preparing to send ground forces. “All these reports regarding this huge number of troops are baseless — yes, we are talking to the Saudis and to all partners on how to support the moderate opposition. As a coalition partner to fight Daesh [Isis], Turkey has a close dialogue and co-operation with a large number of countries.”

If true, the most likely option would be to try to set up a base for rebels in eastern Syria, which is currently held by Isis. That would likely entail a long and bloody battle, and many rebels may be unwilling to give up fighting the regime for Aleppo and north-west Syria.

A third option would be to create a safe zone in the south, adjacent to Jordan. But diplomats say Amman, wary of instability on its borders, looks less willing to support rebels who could attract an upsurge in violence. Russia is already backing a second regime offensive in the area, and Jordan may be more interested in reaching a deal with Moscow.

Turkey has one means of exerting pressure on western countries: the tens of thousands of Syrians who fled the offensive and are being held back at its borders. It may try to demand a safe zone for them inside Syria or else threaten to allow them to flow unhindered toward Europe.

In the absence of a safe zone, the most likely scenario is that Turkey and the Gulf countries simply increase the supply of higher quality weapons to rebel fighters. That option worries some Syrian rebel leaders, who say Moscow would simply respond with more powerful arms.

“We are heading for major escalation,” a commander in the Syrian opposition’s Southern Front, said. “I have lost all hope for the revolution. But the war is far from over.”

Yes, as has been repeatedly and incessantly pointed out, so what? What do you think's going to happen? Syria is saved? The united Syria will return to former glory with your mass murdering great leader, Assad at the helm?

Well what will happen for now is someone who insisted the recent gains weren't significant will have to accept they're completely wrong and they had no clue . And also that their CIA and Saudi backed head chopper mates are on the verge of collapse . And that I'm highly unlikely to take lectures from anyone who's proven themselves not to have the first baldy notion as regards what's actually going on .

I expect the usual graceless sore loser tantrum though .

Yup, apologist for crimes against humanity and when pressed for a response on issues such as these repeatedly ignores the questions as if they were never asked.

No , what I've usually done is point to the shitness of your sources in particular. Which you then ignore and then claim you're a neutral.

Rinse and repeat .

Of course not but he'll at least get to see it. I'm happy to contribute to his cognitive dissonance. He knows he's supporting a mass murdering scum bag. Anything that repeatedly forces him to confront that reality, even just in his own head, is worthwhile.

No it won't because that's not reality . I'll just laugh at it .

Back
Top Bottom