Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Album of the Year 2003

ska invita

back on the other side
Starting the thread because Knotted asked someone else to.

Message ends

Last edited:
Zongamin - Zongamin

I happened across this... I don't even know how to describe it; psychedelic-disco-punk I guess?... act by chance, playing live before an Andy Weatherall DJ set I'd gone to dance to at a club. It remains one of the best gigs I've seen. I can't even remember anything about what Weatherall played 20 years later but Zongamin leaping around the stage wearing a balaclava backed by a band dressed like a new wave act - sharp suits, white shirts, skinny ties - remains burnt into my brain. Definitely my most played album from 2003. An easy choice for my no. 1 this year.

Kraftwerk's first album for 17 years, to mark the 100th anniversary of the Tour De France (it missed it's intended release date to coincide with the actual anniversary by a month). A post-techno take on the sound they created.

I had been thinking of getting around to it, but if I'd started the thread then the OP would've been something like "Fever to Tell came out in 2003, fuck off if you think there was owt better than that."
Anyway, here's a long article about the 20th anniversary of Fever to Tell, written by someone who was vaguely around that scene:

ska invita might appreciate this bit:
Maybe, maybe, maybe the kids were suckered into liking it because the songs carried the freight of potential sex, a potential scene, and the promise of horizontal stripes n’ sweat, NYC below 14th Street credibility, and upskirt bohemia. Maybe. The heart can be a sly and secret (occasionally double) agent.

Huh, I was convinced World Burns to Death - Sucking of the Missile Cock was 2003 but apparently it came out in 2002 and we all just forgot to vote for it, I'm sure they would've knocked Johnny Cash off the top spot if we'd realised. Buck 65's Talkin' Honky Blues actually did come out in 2003 though, good slice of like country-ish Canadian hiphop?

It's not as good as his 2005 album Secret House Against the World though. Or indeed as good as Sucking of the Missile Cock.

Bollocks, Rilo Kiley - The Execution of All Things is another great album that I hadn't realised was from 2002 and now cannot vote for in this poll. But The Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site is a great album that actually did come out in 2003:

And the Postal Service - Give Up:

God, remember the 2000s? Where does the time go, eh? (Not that I was listening to the Postal Service in 2003, more like 2009 or so, but it's all water under the bridge now.)

Couple I've found this week are

Vocals from Hard Times Stylee Pablo Gad over modern UK digidub productions from Dougie Wardrop (Bush Chemists etc) and Barry Issac - I really like this album a lot. Sounds great at volume . Nothing revolutionary but everything is just right and Dougies production always have a lot of energy to them.
Track 2 suits today...and most days tbh

Talking of energy theres this

Lofi garage rock attack, tunes under 2 minutes, a really great sound - I really appreciate the overdriven production on this - unique sounding though the music itself is simplistic its smashed out

Last edited:
As with every other album in 2003 Ive not heard this Moodymann
am feeling it so far
eta; very good ----lower level sunday lurking just right

Last edited:
Two really standout albums for me from 2003:

De-Loused In The Comatorium by The Mars Volta.

A dissonance, mental mix of Zappa, Can, prog rock, and all manner of bonkers stuff shot through the prism of someone experiencing a deranged acid trip. Glorious.

Think Tank by Blur.

For me Blur's best album by far, even though Damon Albarn has at times been critical of it.. However, Bowie rated it highly and so do I. Especially this track which I love:

Couple I've found this week are

Vocals from Hard Times Stylee Pablo Gad over modern UK digidub productions from Dougie Wardrop (Bush Chemists etc) and Barry Issac - I really like this album a lot. Sounds great at volume . Nothing revolutionary but everything is just right and Dougies production always have a lot of energy to them.
Track 2 suits today...and most days tbh

Do you know the King Gheedorah album? I don't know as much MF DOOM as I should, but that one I do know pretty well:

Gravenhurst - 'Flashlight Seasons'
n.b. originally released 2003 on Ben Shillabeer's Sink & Stove before international rerelease by Warp 2004

Back
Top Bottom