Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Afghanistan: Mission Accomplished

The US embassy is on the edge of the city in a high security zone full of embassies. You could attack it without affecting local people very much. They try not to live next to the zone because there've been so many battles and bombs there.

Maybe so, but the US would have to react with force to save face. If the Taliban find themselves in de facto control of enough stuff they'd be idiotic to bait the US into getting involved again. Not to say they aren't idiotic though.

Well of course.

The embassy is just down the road from the airport. Both places will inevitably be attacked by the Taliban and ISIS.

For victory over the Americans.

They have victory over the Americans already though. A token guard at the embassy doesn't negate that. Rhetoric aside they could consolidate their control, focus on the genuine threats of domestic opposition and militias and completely ignore the token US presence. Not like they won't have enough fights on their hands already without risking retaliation and renewed interest from the US.

What can the US do that they haven’t tried before? Bomb the rubble smaller?
Yes.

And no doubt the US won't get seriously involved again but a direct attack on US personnel at the US embassy - they'd have to do something even if it is just meaningless airstrikes or piling a few more guns onto whoever they think will hurt the Taliban the most.

Yes.

And no doubt the US won't get seriously involved again but a direct attack on US personnel at the US embassy - they'd have to do something even if it is just meaningless airstrikes or piling a few more guns onto whoever they think will hurt the Taliban the most.
Nah. They have no bases nearby to attack from. Just missiles that would make them look more impotent.
They are going to flee, crying their eyes out. I’m very glad.

Their word has been far better or more truthful than that of the UK or the IS.

They've also said they won't use military force to take Kabul, so launching attacks there would go against that. I don't know either way, just don't think it's an absolute certainty just because they say it is.

Nah. They have no bases nearby to attack from. Just missiles that would make them look more impotent.
They are going to flee, crying their eyes out. I’m very glad.

There's nothing to be glad about. The US should never have gone in and have done untold harm. The Taliban are going to do untold harm as they take over again, a huge amount of people will suffer. This is all tragedy, nothing more.

There's nothing to be glad about. The US should never have gone in and have done untold harm. The Taliban are going to do untold harm as they take over again, a huge amount of people will suffer. This is all tragedy, nothing more.
The US AND UK getting done after invading another country is fab. Will make it harder to do it again.

Good to see that the people of Afghanistan are an irrelevant prop in the background to that then...
We have fucked over the Afghans again and again. Leave them to sort out their own problems. Offer practical help maybe but don’t be surprised if they say go fuck off.

They have victory over the Americans already though. A token guard at the embassy doesn't negate that. Rhetoric aside they could consolidate their control, focus on the genuine threats of domestic opposition and militias and completely ignore the token US presence. Not like they won't have enough fights on their hands already without risking retaliation and renewed interest from the US.
There will still be a sizeable US force there. The embassy is enormous and needs plenty of people to secure it. There'll also be plenty of US trainers/contractors/weapons/special forces to defend the airport and other installations which the Americans care about, e.g. dams, and to protect American civilians working for aid and development agencies. So even when the Americans have officially left there'll be at least a couple of thousand soldiers there. But the US will say they're not an occupying force, so they shouldn't matter. At the moment there saying there'll be 650 or 1000 staying behind, but they'll fudge the numbers because some soldiers will be CIA employees or contractors or don't officially exist because they're special forces and can't be discussed.

There will still be a sizeable US force there. The embassy is enormous and needs plenty of people to secure it. There'll also be plenty of US trainers/contractors/weapons/special forces to defend the airport and other installations which the Americans care about, e.g. dams, and to protect American civilians working for aid and development agencies. So even when the Americans have officially left there'll be at least a couple of thousand soldiers there. But the US will say they're not an occupying force, so they shouldn't matter. At the moment there saying there'll be 650 or 1000 staying behind, but they'll fudge the numbers because some soldiers will be CIA employees or contractors or don't officially exist because they're special forces and can't be discussed.

Still a token force, relatively speaking. We'll see though, I just don't find it implausible that the Taliban ignore it for the immediate future rather than stoking a direct reaction.

It's a repeat of Vietnam. I pity the Afghans for what they have endured at the hands of the US and it's allies, and what they are and will endure at the hands of the Taliban, ISIS , AQ and what other Muslim fundamentalists take over and will likely be fighting each other.

Britain has now also declared an end to its failed mission in Afghanistan, which is confusing because I had thought this happened years ago.

'Labour said Britain was leaving without having secured the gains of the past 20 years. Angela Rayner, the party’s deputy leader, said that while nobody wanted to see British troops permanently stationed in Afghanistan, “if we simply wash our hands or walk away it is hard to see a future without bloodier conflict and wider Taliban control”.'

What the fuck does she want to happen then? We shouldn't stay, but shouldn't go? This from the deputy leader of the opposition? IQ of a fucking flipflop.

'Labour said Britain was leaving without having secured the gains of the past 20 years. Angela Rayner, the party’s deputy leader, said that while nobody wanted to see British troops permanently stationed in Afghanistan, “if we simply wash our hands or walk away it is hard to see a future without bloodier conflict and wider Taliban control”.'

What the fuck does she want to happen then? We shouldn't stay, but shouldn't go? This from the deputy leader of the opposition? IQ of a fucking flipflop.
Training and arming the Afghan army? Don't know whether that would make any difference though.

Training and arming the Afghan army? Don't know whether that would make any difference though.

We did. It didn't. :(

As I said, we shouldn't have been there. I don't think that there has ever been a successful military operation of this type. You either commit troops, and lots of them, for ever, or you fuck off.

Best of all, don't go there in the first place.

Two countries left in ruins, for what gain?

We did. It didn't. :(

As I said, we shouldn't have been there. I don't think that there has ever been a successful military operation of this type. You either commit troops, and lots of them, for ever, or you fuck off.

Best of all, don't go there in the first place.

Two countries left in ruins, for what gain?
they won't try it again

Back
Top Bottom