Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Afghanistan: Mission Accomplished

All so incredibly predictable and inevitable - as kebabking or somebody mentioned upthread, service in Afghanistan was the centrepiece of many military careers, and the sunk cost fallacy was what kept the US, UK, and other NATO powers there for 20 years.

But we're never going to see the military top brass acknowledge that their mission was a total failure and everybody killed over there in the last 20 years died for nothing, some Pentagon spokesman said this week that they did their best and it's "their country to fight for now."

Easy for Biden to blame previous administrations and leave the Afghans to be terrorised for ever.

Maybe we should have a poll to see which catastrophe has surprised people the most with its unexpected speed: (a) Taliban (b) climate change.

By all accounts the majority of Afghan forces melt away at the Taliban approach. The rest switch sides.

Some will go to militias and warlords, which at this point is probably the best hope of halting the Taliban. If Kabul falls it'll be horrific.

There's a lot of money tied up in Kabul. Property values rocketed when Nato were there. Aid agencies were charged astonishing rents...higher than London. The Afghan diaspora invested huge sums in building projects. They had faith that the country had a future. What with Western fears about Afghanistan becoming a base for international terrorists again, I find it hard to imagine that the US will abandon Kabul and the airport. I think they'll find an excuse to garrison it. There are lots of expensive fortifications already there. It would be very galling to just give them to the Talibs. And if that looks likely, all the educated Afghans will leave and make a new life elsewhere. Lots of them are already leaving.

From what I hear there's not many places left to go, borders are all closing and visas aren't easy.

With US military sources telling reporters Kabul could fall in 30 days, the Afghan government has offered the Taliban a power-sharing arrangement - with a 10th provincial capital falling to them Thursday, I think they'll press on with a power-taking arrangement.

there would be something sort of morbidly poetic were the Taliban able to take Kabul on September 11th. that's 30 days time

there would be something sort of morbidly poetic were the Taliban able to take Kabul on September 11th. that's 30 days time
Like I said. I will mostly be drinking that day.

However BBC is saying Virginia currently publicly estimating 90 days

Last edited:
I believe the Afghan army outnumbered the Taliban and had been trained by the US and UK, but it seems they didn't have the stomach for the fight if reports are to be believed.

you think after 100 years in afganistian the west including Russia just never got the country

it train a small army but never understood the culture of the country

Anyone know if Afghanistan contains lithium? there was a meeting between the Chinese and the taliban recently, will be interesting to see if anything develops out of that.

was the withdrawl not set up before his tenure long before

the wierd thing about the republicians and trumpers, which is almost the same thing now

is the rather daft support for trump for not starting any more american funded wars

aside from the race war at home :facepalm:

it would be used against biden in the next election if he changed course

its why america is a bit shit

US is fucked, in every way imaginable. I feel privileged to be in one of the most economically deprived areas of Europe before brexit fucked that up to our own idiocy. As I can live better on my income for a whole family than a double income US family with some kids and I have three.

Back
Top Bottom