Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Afghanistan: Mission Accomplished

Now there's a co-belligerent whose expeditious evacuation even Biden would be able to guarantee by a firm deadline, from this thread at least

Am I alone in thinking
1) We should never have been there: from the 19th Century Afghan Wars on, no occupation of Afghanistan was ever going to work: as shown by the Washington Post investigation
2) Indeed, the Taliban offered to give up Bin Laden to the US (see Brisard/Dasquier) & so the pretext for invasion was bogus.
3) Whatever I think of the Taliban (not much) those who collaborated with the occupying powers (US/UK) are not people I greatly empathise with. Harsh maybe, but I'm not a liberal.
4) Biden is not senile & his explanation for leaving now was one of the few credible things I have ever heard from a US President
5) The MPs/Journalists/BBC who are basically agitating for restarting an unwinnable war should actually be dumped somewhere (the Panshir Valley?) along with lots of copies of the Guardian & left to get on with it.

If you can get ~600 people in a c17 then three flights would be all that were needed to ship all MPs and lords to kabul
and dont forget journalists: though some like that whining warmonger Lyce Doucet or whatever she's called are still there: just pick them up and drop em on the way home. Though I will miss her jokes, I'll try to get over it...

Interesting piece in US site Truthout reminding us the invasion was illegal, Taliban offered to give up OBL etc Here
The BBC scum have never mentioned this in their recent propaganda of course. Russia Today is far better not least because you know it’s propaganda…

Interesting piece in US site Truthout reminding us the invasion was illegal, Taliban offered to give up OBL etc Here
The BBC scum have never mentioned this in their recent propaganda of course. Russia Today is far better not least because you know it’s propaganda…

Wonder how things would have unfolded if Bush had accepted the Taliban's offer in the early days of the great imperialist adventure

Bush rejects Taliban offer to hand Bin Laden over

Am I alone in thinking
1) We should never have been there: from the 19th Century Afghan Wars on, no occupation of Afghanistan was ever going to work: as shown by the Washington Post investigation
2) Indeed, the Taliban offered to give up Bin Laden to the US (see Brisard/Dasquier) & so the pretext for invasion was bogus.
3) Whatever I think of the Taliban (not much) those who collaborated with the occupying powers (US/UK) are not people I greatly empathise with. Harsh maybe, but I'm not a liberal.
4) Biden is not senile & his explanation for leaving now was one of the few credible things I have ever heard from a US President
5) The MPs/Journalists/BBC who are basically agitating for restarting an unwinnable war should actually be dumped somewhere (the Panshir Valley?) along with lots of copies of the Guardian & left to get on with it.
1. It's not about whether occupation could've "worked" or not, as with all foreign invasions it would've been an atrocity under all circumstances
2. We'll never know the true plans and motivations of the invaders, though we can see the results, from Bamako to Jalalabad
3. Thats harsh, there are endless justifiable reasons why normal people may have collaborated, including basic survival instinct, hunger, anti-Taliban feeling etc etc
4. What was that explanation that you liked from Biden? I haven't listened closely to him. I did read a transcript of him pathetically try and say 'I was tied into it because Trump did a deal'
5. Long overdue

See thread

That's quite an interesting thread, the guy reckons it was a spook mobile so we wouldn't want the Taliban getting their grubbies on it. Still would have been better to just blow it up but I suppose the UK doesn't have the budget of the US
This is apparently the last US soldier to leave Kabul Airport, If I was this guy I would be shitting myself that someone was going to shoot me in the back

Attachments

• E-E4-dzWQAAo8-P.jpg
    E-E4-dzWQAAo8-P.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 7
Pretty week argument. They left shitloads of military equipment, hundreds of helicopters etc. There's nothing in that thread that suggests the vehicle was more important than saving lives.

It is giving a reason why that vehicle might have been more important than all the helicopters etc, and that it wasn’t just some car.

As to saving lives, I’ve not seen any evidence that the limiting factor on evacuations was space on board aircraft. Once the Taliban started blockading the airport the number of people that got through was considerably less than the number that could have been flown out.

1. It's not about whether occupation could've "worked" or not, as with all foreign invasions it would've been an atrocity under all circumstances
2. We'll never know the true plans and motivations of the invaders, though we can see the results, from Bamako to Jalalabad
3. Thats harsh, there are endless justifiable reasons why normal people may have collaborated, including basic survival instinct, hunger, anti-Taliban feeling etc etc
4. What was that explanation that you liked from Biden? I haven't listened closely to him. I did read a transcript of him pathetically try and say 'I was tied into it because Trump did a deal'
5. Long overdue
1. Agreed: I was just introducing historical perspective to provide context
2. I was pointing out that stated motives for invasion can be shown to be invalid.
3. Accept there are many reasons for collaboration but frankly collaboration is collaboration. Not our problem. Let’s be clear this was an occupation and the regime a puppet government that proved it was by collapsing like a pack of cards.
4. Interested to hear you say you read a transcript of Biden. I went to the BBC site and could only find a transcript supposedly’fact checked’/—which was just propaganda. So I sought his live broadcast of 18:06 minutes on CBS and found it useful

4. Interested to hear you say you read a transcript of Biden. I went to the BBC site and could only find a transcript supposedly’fact checked’/—which was just propaganda. So I sought his live broadcast of 18:06 minutes on CBS and found it useful
what was the bit you thought was good Larry, genuinely curious - as i say i havent been following the Biden element of this much - even the gist of what you mentioned

* the 'transcript' i read was a live blog reporting a news conference with a few key lines

Well, a journalist who misses the new aunts or Bing have to find the recorded version of a president speech. But can’t muster sympathy for those living under the occupation. Worthless twat.

what was the bit you thought was good Larry, genuinely curious - as i say i havent been following the Biden element of this much - even the gist of what you mentioned

* the 'transcript' i read was a live blog reporting a news conference with a few key lines
He basically said (précis from memory using my words)
1. US shouldn’t be in nation building game
2. The war was unwinnable because Afghans not prepared to fight
3. He had long opposed the US occupation
4. Crucially he wasn’t going to be the fourth US President to just pass the buck to another
5. There would never be a good time to leave Afghanistan so no reason for further delay
6. He did not want further US casualties and to be the President responsible for such

I strongly suggest you search it out. As for press conference I am well aware he has been relentlessly attacked by warmongers and those corporations who benefited from the occupation for the US belatedly doing the right thing.

to see how right the withdrawal was I again recommend the Washington Post articles based on interviews with 400 military decision makers showing Afghanistan was corrupt deluded fuck up from day one

Well, a journalist who misses the new aunts or Bing have to find the recorded version of a president speech. But can’t muster sympathy for those living under the occupation. Worthless twat.
Which occupation? The occupying powers have gone. What is going on now is the aftermath of a civil war is it not?

Back
Top Bottom