Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Afghanistan: Mission Accomplished

Really curious how the UK government plans to house the 10-20,000 Afghan refugees. Is there any sign of a policy? (Beyond leaving them in hotels forever)

Well about lower-tier 100 councils, out of 300+, have come forward so far to offer help, and I am proud that both Worthing Borough & Adur District Councils did so over 2 weeks ago.

The two councils are politically separate, but operate as one on services and matters of urgency, and combined with our amazing 'Turning Tides' homeless charity, have a good record on homing people in need.

I also have e-mails from both the MPs covering Worthing & Adur (Shoreham, Southwick, Lancing, etc.) saying West Sussex County Council is co-ordinating things under some Home Office scheme with all seven borough & district councils in the county.

So, I guess there's at least a plan forming.

Well about lower-tier 100 councils, out of 300+, have come forward so far to offer help, and I am proud that both Worthing Borough & Adur District Councils did so over 2 weeks ago.

The two councils are politically separate, but operate as one on services and matters of urgency, and combined with our amazing 'Turning Tides' homeless charity, have a good record on homing people in need.

I also have e-mails from both the MPs covering Worthing & Adur (Shoreham, Southwick, Lancing, etc.) saying West Sussex County Council is co-ordinating things under some Home Office scheme with all seven borough & district councils in the county.

So, I guess there's at least a plan forming.
who would have thought that worthing borough and adur district councils would make an appearance in a thread about the mission in afghanistan being accomplished

who would have thought that worthing borough and adur district councils would make an appearance in a thread about the mission in afghanistan being accomplished

Someone hasn't been keeping up, they made an appearance on this thread over a week ago -

That has pissed me off so much, that I've not only e-mailed my own MP, who represents most of Worthing, but also Loughton as he's MP for East Worthing & the Adur council area, that sits between Worthing & Brighton.

Well, if you’ve been to Worthing you’d know it should be twinned with Kandahar. With Shoreham airport being just a smaller version of Baghram, although with out a CIA dark site ( probably)…

It looks like the US now claims authority for drone/air strikes to continue against ISIS-K?
Read this today.

Drone warfare was put in place by President Obama as so called legal humane warfare. He gave it the legal framework in which it works. Whether its actually legal under international law is different issue. He developed it.

The article agues their is a continuity between Obama and Trump. Both anti war candidates.

Obama from his side wanted to create a form of warfare that had more political oversight , reduced civilian deaths, reduced need for ordinary Americans to die abroad.

The problem is that its not necessarily that humane. Civilians do die. Secondly it leads to a war without end. Obama recognised it would not work to end terror threat. Article says Obama was aware of this danger.

Under Obama more military were being trained as drone operators than actual fighter pilots.

So article puts question whether Biden will end up doing the same.

Under Obama more military were being trained as drone operators than actual fighter pilots.
That doesn't sound very startling, though. Surely, it's the same everywhere, and will carry on like that for the foreseeable.

Last edited:
Tbf whether you have ten family members vaporised by a drone strike or manned aircraft strike is fairly immaterial, the end result is the same pain and suffering.
This is true but I would like to see stats (if there are any) of drone strikes that have killed unintended civilians vis a vis manned operations that have done the same.

I don’t see why it would be any more or less, possibly less as the pilot of a manned aircraft could also be aiming the strike whereas AFAIK with drones they have a pilot and a bomber and neither are affected by g-forces or the pressure of flying in a hostile environment.

I don’t see why it would be any more or less, possibly less as the pilot of a manned aircraft could also be aiming the strike whereas AFAIK with drones they have a pilot and a bomber and neither are affected by g-forces or the pressure of flying in a hostile environment.

IIRC Obama got the nickname of Obomber by his first day of presidency, the policy was set out early

Back
Top Bottom