Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Afghanistan: Mission Accomplished

Well yes, but surely they could say, give us two more weeks or we'll bomb the fuck out of you?
In a toe to toe scrap against the US Army, the Taliban are going to be slaughtered but the chances are they will at least kill a few GI's which is going to cause Uncle Joe political problems in a finely balanced Congress and with the public back home who are already muttering about his mishandling of the whole situation. I suspect that the sort of people who will cheer on the the US Military killing Taliban and levelling everything within a 10 mile radius of the airport are Republican voters anyway.
It's all about optics back home, It's not worth risking American lives to save Afghan ones.

I'm still a little unclear as to how or why the self proclaimed 'greatest military force ever assembled' is being bullied out of Kabul like this by a smallish bunch of amateurs?
It’s a bit myopic to call the Taliban a bunch of amateurs. The US and the UK got beaten by them.

In a toe to toe scrap against the US Army, the Taliban are going to be slaughtered but the chances are they will at least kill a few GI's which is going to cause Uncle Joe political problems in a finely balanced Congress and with the public back home who are already muttering about his mishandling of the whole situation. I suspect that the sort of people who will cheer on the the US Military killing Taliban and levelling everything within a 10 mile radius of the airport are Republican voters anyway.
It's all about optics back home, It's not worth risking American lives to save Afghan ones.
Not to mention the glee from the gangster in Moscow and the dictator in Beijing.

It’s a bit myopic to call the Taliban a bunch of amateurs. The US and the UK got beaten by them.

Yes I get that. And 'amateur' is perhaps a bit glib. But considering how much it costs to train one single marine, yes - this lot are not exactly on the same level training wise. That's what I was going for.

The Taliban haven't beaten the US and the UK, they've won because the US has basically just decided to give up, The Taliban have won by basically not dying. And of course they were always going to come out on top precisely for that reason.
If the US had decided not to pull out then none of this would have happened now but it would still have happened 5 or 10 or 20 years from now

The Taliban have succeeded because the NATO coalition couldn’t see the tribal divisions within Afghanistan. The attempts to unite each tribal zone was doomed to failure from the day they decided to try to run everything from Kabul.
The areas outside Kabul in the provinces just saw the Afghan Army and all the foreign forces as just more invaders to be resisted.
I think someone could see this obvious problem after twenty years and decided to just walk away.

Of course America has previous for leaving those who helped them in the lurch. So has most of the NATO countries.
In Vietnam it is believed over 30,000 South Vietnamese citizens were killed because of lists of CIA informants records left in the US embassy in Saigon.
Hopefully they have disposed of anything similar in Kabul.

Yes I get that. And 'amateur' is perhaps a bit glib. But considering how much it costs to train one single marine, yes - this lot are not exactly on the same level training wise. That's what I was going for.

"No no... it was a worthwhile success because there hasn't been another 9/11." Is pretty much the only argument they have to proffer.

Canada is saying it will be staying after the 31st of August.

Trudeau said Canada would be staying beyond the 31st "if at all possible," his office later said it would not be possible if US forces leave as planned.

A PMO spokesman later clarified that the prospect of Canadian Forces' remaining in Kabul beyond Aug. 31 is contingent on the extension of the U.S. military presence, and that Canada would not remain in Afghanistan after the U.S. pulled out its troops.

This issue seems to be on repeat..

And again, the Toronto Sun has learned American soldiers continue to turn away Canadian evacuees, preventing them from getting to safety.

Another would-be evacuee, an Afghan citizen whose service with the Canadian military earned him safe passage out of Kabul, told the Sun he was brutally beaten by Taliban fighters waiting for evacuees to arrive at the hotel.

He said that while the United States, Netherlands, Belgium and Germany are transporting their evacuees to their planes via buses, Canadian officials continue to expect their evacuees — regardless of their mobility or health — to make their way through Kabul’s dangerous streets to safety.

Trudeau may very well lose this election.

The Taliban haven't beaten the US and the UK, they've won because the US has basically just decided to give up, The Taliban have won by basically not dying. And of course they were always going to come out on top precisely for that reason.
If the US had decided not to pull out then none of this would have happened now but it would still have happened 5 or 10 or 20 years from now
War is the application of violence to achieve your policy objectives. You ‘win’ if your ability, which includes willingness, to expend blood and treasure exceeds your desire to stop fighting that war. You are beaten if yhe other side’s ability and willingness exceeds yours.

We, I include myself as I think I aligned more with the views of the UK government than with the Taleban, we’re beaten. To pretend otherwise is to fail to learn the lessons of Germany in the 20s and 30s and, ironically America post Vietnam.

Last edited:
Of course America has previous for leaving those who helped them in the lurch. So has most of the NATO countries.
In Vietnam it is believed over 30,000 South Vietnamese citizens were killed because of lists of CIA informants records left in the US embassy in Saigon.
Well looks like they are on the point of doing it again!

Well looks like they are on the point of doing it again!

Ffs, I honestly can’t fathom how the Americans managed to f**k this up in such a big way.

Isn’t it common sense that they’d destroy all this stuff, evacuate our allies, and oh I don’t know, not leave behind billions of dollars of military equipment before pulling the troops out? It’s f***ing bizarre

The Taliban didn't win it endured

UK US went to war against terror and found it to be a tough enemy. No matter how many rounds they fired, bombs they dropped, people named and killed terror seemed to just linger in the air

So 6 days to go until the closing of the Kabul airport anomaly.

6 days to get more people out, assuming they can get through the checkpoints to the airport.

Probably 5 days considering the soldiers have to be evacuated, probably last.

The terror unleashed not just upon the Communist underground but other political and civil groups, even before American army boots were on the ground, which was facilitated by such informants? The result was tens of thousands imprisoned, tortured and executed, often on the flimsiest information.

The terror unleashed not just upon the Communist underground but other political and civil groups, even before American army boots were on the ground, which was facilitated by such informants? The result was tens of thousands imprisoned, tortured and executed, often on the flimsiest information.
Exactly, what goes around comes around. Total waste of lives.

Chased out? Yes I agree.

What are we looking at for those left behind after the 31st August? And how many of those will there be?

Nato countries have been occupying for 20 years as we all know, but there has to be some responsibility to the people of Afghanistan. Severe drought has been reported and I'd like to hear some kind of overtures towards international cooperation to address this problem. It was a Nato occupation and a Nato backed government. I don't want it to become the status quo that the country is anathema because it is now controlled by the Taliban. It would be irresponsible when there is potentially a really serious situation.

Practically then? Keep diplomatic channels of communication open. Nato governments to take some responsibility for the mess they have largely created. And the public to hold them to account.

Back
Top Bottom