Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Afghanistan: Mission Accomplished

its going to be tricky- 75% of the Afghan economy is from aid and overseas johnnies pumping cash into it - the rest is mostly skag- cutting them off from overseas income would not be pretty. there is a moral responsibility to assist, despite the latest tranche of twats running the show now. at the very least, the NATO lot would see an econmic gap that is filled by Russia / China would not be to their advantage. Continuing Diplomatic comms is a must. The country is potentially another battleground for the eternal interests but economic rather than scrapping. NB, I am wearing a pragmatist hat here.discuss

Exactly, what goes around comes around. Total waste of lives.

I just think seeing parallels between the Vietnamese Communist-led national liberation struggle and the recent Taliban takeover, even in matters of postwar retribution, is wrong. I see how it's tempting, despite the historical specificities, and given its the latest example of the awesome military power of the United States leaving behind another failed venture.

After thwarting possibilities of a peaceful democratic process of unification and deliberately escalating a situation towards military intervention, a favoured government was installed and hastily built up by violence which then began to quickly crumble when the Communists restarted armed struggle. That struggle in the southern Vietnamese countryside from as early as the 1950s was brutal and pitiless, and we're talking about a severed heads and other body parts left as clear messages to political enemies level of brutality here. The informants at the lowest level were hamlet-dwelling peasants, and the motivations or pressures for them doing so are more complex than just dobbing in the local reds, but hunting down those who were part of disappearing other ordinary people, who were then tortured, raped and shot isn't the same as Talibs kicking in the doors of journalists, teachers, even just drivers for occupation personnel, or taking their family members as second prizes.

I just think seeing parallels between the Vietnamese Communist-led national liberation struggle and the recent Taliban takeover, even in matters of postwar retribution, is wrong. I see how it's tempting, despite the historical specificities, and given its the latest example of the awesome military power of the United States leaving behind another failed venture.

After thwarting possibilities of a peaceful democratic process of unification and deliberately escalating a situation towards military intervention, a favoured government was installed and hastily built up by violence which then began to quickly crumble when the Communists restarted armed struggle. That struggle in the southern Vietnamese countryside from as early as the 1950s was brutal and pitiless, and we're talking about a severed heads and other body parts left as clear messages to political enemies level of brutality here. The informants at the lowest level were hamlet-dwelling peasants, and the motivations or pressures for them doing so are more complex than just dobbing in the local reds, but hunting down those who were part of disappearing other ordinary people, who were then tortured, raped and shot isn't the same as Talibs kicking in the doors of journalists, teachers, even just drivers for occupation personnel, or taking their family members as second prizes.
I agree with your post in that the wars in Southeast Asia that defined this period of the Cold War cannot be compared to the current debacle surrounding the departure of NATO forces and the locals who assisted them.
My concern was in the poor removal of evidence that leads to the capture and possible deaths of those individuals who aided and assisted the forces.
This departure has been on the books for years and i believe lessons could possibly have been learned from past departures from conflict zones and information such as these that allow the local assistance to be identified should have been more closely monitored and removed.
Obviously the Taliban would be aware of many of those who helped the NATO and foreign governments, but families and others, maybe only distantly connections are going to suffer.
How many have to die before enough is enough.
Human beings it is evident are not content unless they are killing each other.
That is my concern.

Odd, given Biden’s assertions that the mission was to defeat terror groups and the mission was accomplished. Let’s hope those tacitly supporting the old fuck will be along shortly to explain:

38DF7868-2DDF-452F-8911-C78801EB0804.png

This isn’t going to lend any credibility to the talibans claims to have calmed the place down. It will however assist in the hurry the departure of expats out of the place, so not all bad for the taliban. Fuckibg mess

That article title is clickbait bullshit tho: there is nothing in there to suggest Toyota "seemed to know" the Taliban would take Kabul, it's fanning the conspiracy flames and it's unhelpful

I didn't see it as a conspiracy piece. It seemed to be laying out their plan to manage their brand after acquiring a reputation they didn't want associated with their products. They also seem to be making some effort at cutting off the supply, however, meager the result.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom