Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Afghanistan: Mission Accomplished

I googled to see if Tony Blair had said anything.

What I did get was this from 2015 on Afghanistan war.

Blair was still saying then that British military was cornerstone of projecting British influence in the world.

He did the usual infuriating supporting our boys line whatever the policies are.

So at that time unrepentant Liberal imperialist.

Seeing Blair going on just makes my blood boil.

I did oppose Iraq war. On Afghanistan I was mixed.

I don't think Biden should be getting the shit for what's happening now.

What is needed is real look at Bush/ Blair who are main players in this mess.

I just saw this post by the Workers Solidarity Federation in Pakistan:

🚨
Mutual Aid Alert
🚨

From our comrades at عصر آنارشیسم - Fedration of Anarchism Era (Afghanistan and Iran):

Last edited:
The difference between me and Tony Blair is that I didnt have the power to send soldiers to die for this.

This insinuation from Blairites that was common during Iraq war that one isn't patriotic if you don't support our boys without question is one of the worst aspects of Blairite Third Way.

We had a stall in the town square at the time of the invasion of Afghanistan. We tried pointing out that there was no clear goal in mind. Very little support from the general public. I was called a bleeding heart middle class liberal. I'm no lover of fundamentalist Islam. Taliban, Alquaida, (and the Pope, just to be non-sectarian). It's all crap. But what the fuck does anyone think has been achieved?

We had a stall in the town square at the time of the invasion of Afghanistan. We tried pointing out that there was no clear goal in mind. Very little support from the general public. I was called a bleeding heart middle class liberal. I'm no lover of fundamentalist Islam. Taliban, Alquaida, (and the Pope, just to be non-sectarian). It's all crap. But what the fuck does anyone think has been achieved?
There are pebbles in Afghanistan which were great rocks on 9/11. But that's about it, everything since then, everything the Western powers have done, clearly built on sand

I mean, where are they landing etc?
Kabul airport I surmise. It is apparently being watched over/protected by 2,000 of the Turkish army’s finest. The Taliban leadership had earlier promised to keep the three mile corridor to the airport free to all who wanted to leave. But I would guess that road would be fraught with danger and the possibility of conflict breaking out spontaneously.

Lots was achieved, the problem you have is that like many, you only see achievements in stuff that lasts forever, even though nothing last forever.

At its most basic, 9/11 level, for 20 years it was pretty much impossible for groups to base themselves in Afghanistan and to use it as a jumping off point for attacks on other countries/societies.

In Kabul, and a number of other cities, for the best part of 20 years it was possible for a woman to go to school, then university, and then work as Dr's, or civil servants, or teachers, or police officers, and to do so while wearing what she chose to wear, rather than what some bloke in a beard told her to wear. You may not see that as a big deal, but even if it was fleeting, many women in Afghanistan think it is a big deal.

Lots of things didn't work - corruption is rampant, a good number of disgusting abuses are ingrained into Afghan law, and - for good or ill - the jockeying for power among wider family groups is, in effect, still the bedrock of Afghan politics.

By all means discuss and come to a view over whether 'it was worth it', but don't say that nothing was achieved, because it was - such a view is, imv, akin to thinking that the space race achieved nothing because no one lives on the Moon wearing silver Spandex.

Lots was achieved, the problem you have is that like many, you only see achievements in stuff that lasts forever, even though nothing last forever.

At its most basic, 9/11 level, for 20 years it was pretty much impossible for groups to base themselves in Afghanistan and to use it as a jumping off point for attacks on other countries/societies.

In Kabul, and a number of other cities, for the best part of 20 years it was possible for a woman to go to school, then university, and then work as Dr's, or civil servants, or teachers, or police officers, and to do so while wearing what she chose to wear, rather than what some bloke in a beard told her to wear. You may not see that as a big deal, but even if it was fleeting, many women in Afghanistan think it is a big deal.

Lots of things didn't work - corruption is rampant, a good number of disgusting abuses are ingrained into Afghan law, and - for good or ill - the jockeying for power among wider family groups is, in effect, still the bedrock of Afghan politics.

By all means discuss and come to a view over whether 'it was worth it', but don't say that nothing was achieved, because it was - such a view is, imv, akin to thinking that the space race achieved nothing because no one lives on the Moon wearing silver Spandex.
9/11 was by extremists from Saudi Arabia. Yet no invasion of that country.

So why not invasion of that country?

The human cost of the war, per the AP:

American service members killed in Afghanistan through April: 2,448.

U.S. contractors: 3,846.

Afghan national military and police: 66,000.

Other allied service members, including from other NATO member states: 1,144.

Afghan civilians: 47,245.

Taliban and other opposition fighters: 51,191.

Aid workers: 444.

Journalists: 72.

9/11 did not happen because of the Taliban, nor anything happening in Afghanistan. It was financed by Saudis, carried out by Saudis and one Pakistani, probably planned in Germany, and most of the training took place in the USA. When the invasion of Afghanistan happened the Taliban did not control the whole country and who knows how things might have turned out? Now it looks like they might control the whole place.

Osama Bin Laden was holed up there though. He was still doing interviews with ABC News at the turn of the century.

Have you seen post 533?

I see Gollum (rory stewart) is trending again. Somehow everyone thinks this guy is a hero.

His voting record is as much a litany of shit (a shitany, if you will) as the rest of them. Voted for climate change, voted for poverty. A cunt
I remember about the time he was finding out the Tory party didn't want him m as leader there as an open debate in the Commons on Afghanistan.. He was too busy campaigning to share insight tgen

Ted Rall called it right back in December 2001.

His view this week on critics of the US withdrawal:

Wow, I didn't know there was an American journalist who gets it, and has always got it. Thanks for posting it.

Back
Top Bottom