Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Afghanistan: Mission Accomplished

Whenever it happened the end would be thus. Biden done it quick so that none of it is on his hands, he didn’t cause this, he ended it, it had to end at some point and when it did the Afghans/Taliban would do what they are doing.

Has anyone got a solution to to the Taliban imposing their shitty rule on the place? Any suggestions at all?
Nope.

Biden’s getting a heap of shit over it but it had to happen at some point. In my mind it says he is a strong leader.

I see what you're saying - it takes a great deal of psychological strength to cut your losses when something has gone badly wrong - but the way this has been done is catastrophic, and reflects far more badly on Biden than whatever kudus he might get for doing it in principle.

I see what you're saying - it takes a great deal of psychological strength to cut your losses when something has gone badly wrong - but the way this has been done is catastrophic, and reflects far more badly on Biden than whatever kudus he might get for doing it in principle.

What should he have done with the shitshow he inherited (for once this was not a Trump shitshow either, he just kicked that can all the way down the road), how could this have ended in any other way?

However what came across was perception of locals that western aid had not got to the poor rural areas. Basic stuff like running water, roads.

Aid had been diverted to larger urban cities.

As the article points out nothing had been done to decrease inequality.

People complained that under official government you had to pay bribes to get things done.

Rural areas were lawless before Taliban take over

Taliban were at pains to say they wanted to end this corruption, bring development to neglected rural areas and enforce a rough and ready egalitarianism.

Western bombing of rural areas had caused some to have more sympathy for Taliban. Even if attitude to women and banning western music didn't.

So article is right the so called market ked reforms that aid was based on made bad situation worse.

The article does talk of land reform being necessary. I didn't see this in the two TV news reports.

It's also I thought something that led to opposition to the first communist regime. They tried to bring in land reform.

So I wonder if Taliban would do this.
I think the Taliban held some support last time round as they were against crime and corruption, their ’morality police’ role included being tough on crime. In a notoriously corrupt country I can see how that would sell well to the powerless. Whether it holds up when tribal loyalties will still be strong who knows.

rory stewart being rolled out on sky news - at least he knows what he is on about
He does and he doesn't. Certainly better than the opinions of random columnists, but having read his book I do think he has a somewhat colonial lens on things, and despite to some extent 'knowing' the cultures there he can't leave behind his position in a certain class.

What should he have done with the shitshow he inherited (for once this was not a Trump shitshow either, he just kicked that can all the way down the road), how could this have ended in any other way?

The initial thing was that he gave NATO 48 hours warning before announcing it, the Afghan state got about 4 hours warning.

He then made clear that any non-US force could not expect either US logistics support, or serious diplomatic support to keep things like overflight rights going.

The disengagement plan has been sped up, with key locations - like Bagram - which have a huge impact on the defence of Kabul, just abandoned long before they needed to be.

The rushed, disjointed, US-centric way he's done it has massively undermined whatever Afghan army morale there was - he's explicitly said 'make a deal with the Taliban, on their terms, or die without US support. So they have done.

He left no time in the withdrawal process to get the vunerables out, or cope with 'friction', the 'stuff will go wrong' factor.

US air support could have remained in place, and by saying so it's pretty unlikely that this catastrophic fall would have taken place. I agree that the Taliban would undoubtedly have taken over when US support ended, but the fundamental debacle is in saying that US will end, then ending US support, and then trying to get people out and coming to a real politic accommodation with the Taliban.

He put his cards face up on the table, told everyone he had no stake, and then tried to play poker.

Other than getting out all those who had assisted the coalition of the willing as Bush called it, I really don’t see what else he could do where the end result would be more favourable. He should have helped those who have helped the US. Morally and also if they expect help in the future.

This interview (not new) explains biden’s point of view pretty clearly.

eta can't argue with what he says there but at the same time it sounds like he expected this, just wanted it all over as quickly as possible, no matter the consequences or the details, like if he can't save the whole world then fuck it let it all burn, nothing in between, no strategy just ideology.

Last edited:

"NUR-SULTAN, Aug. 15 (Xinhua) -- Afghan President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani flew from Kabul to Tajikistan, Tajikistan's Asia-Plus news agency reported Sunday, citing an Afghan government official.

According to the official Sajad Nuristani, Ghani was accompanied by his national security adviser Hamdullah Muhib.

Nuristani noted that after Tajikistan, Ghani would fly to an unidentified third country."

i hear Antibes is very pleasant sat this time of yeh

This interview (not new) explains biden’s point of view pretty clearly.

eta can't argue with what he says there but at the same time it sounds like he expected this, just wanted it all over as quickly as possible, no matter the consequences or the details, like if he can't save the whole world then fuck it let it all burn, nothing in between, no strategy just ideology.

His reasoning is sound. It comes from what the fuck was the US doing there in the first place and carries on with what good would happen if it stayed there. He has the balls to call it, I say fair play to that.

This PTO podcast is the best thing I’ve listened to on the subject.

Paul Rogers joins PTO to talk about the Taliban's advance across Afghanistan and the possibility of an imminent takeover of the capital Kabul. We spoke about why the Taliban have been so successful against the more numerous and better equipped and supported Afghan government forces, what the Taliban's victory might mean for India, Pakistan and China, and finally we discussed how history will judge Western military intervention in the country.

Also good:

Last edited:

Biden is the leader of liberal democracy. The order that aspires to spread it’s shit politics to every corner of the works. He controls the most powerful military in the world. His voice carries significant weight at diplomatic level.

If Trump had ordered Afghanistan to be abandoned to medieval fascists the liberals/PMC (even those who are card carrying members of the anti-imperialism of fools tendency) would be outraged. Are there other easy options? No. Why? Because of the disaster of the 20 year long botched invasion. However, as you say, his decision to basically say to women, children, non bigots: you’re on your own, is fucking shameful.

Last edited:
Ted Rall called it right back in December 2001.

we ought to tally our dead, write up our losses, and count ourselves lucky to still be called a superpower

His view this week on critics of the US withdrawal:

If they had really cared about gender equality on the other side of the planet, they would have criticized the soon-to-be-overthrown puppet government in Kabul for tolerating honor killings, child marriage, systemic rape and even stonings throughout their benighted 20-year rule under U.S. subjugation. They were silent and therefore complicit. Afghan women never stopped suffering; American liberals simply stopped caring.

American international relations scholar, and critic of the George W Bush administration, Stephen Zunes says the following: " Nearly twenty years ago, I wrote an op-ed in USA Today in which I argued that sending U.S ground forces into Afghanistan would result in "an unwinnable counter-insurgency war in a hostile terrain against a people with a long history of resisting outsiders." It is indeed the graveyard of empires.

Zunes specializes in Middle Eastern politics, U.S. foreign policy, and strategic nonviolent action.

co0hwew9skh71.jpg

Back
Top Bottom