Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Afghanistan: Mission Accomplished

I see whilst all other Embassies are closing the Russian one has stayed open with assurances from the Taliban that they will be safe. :rolleyes:

That's the same Russia who left Afghanistan in the early 80s with their tail between their legs after being beaten by the Taliban, who were heavily funded by the USA, who have just left the country with their tail between their legs.

Same stage, different actors.

I see whilst all other Embassies are closing the Russian one has stayed open with assurances from the Taliban that they will be safe. :rolleyes:

That's the same Russia who left Afghanistan in the early 80s with their tail between their legs after being beaten by the Taliban, who were heavily funded by the USA, who have just left the country with their tail between their legs.

Same stage, different actors.
The Taliban hadn't even formed when the Russians withdrew.

Galloway rummaging in the attic for his black turban.

While on Question Time in 2008 - "the taliban are not the enemy for me".

Yeah.

I'm just going to leave this here.

Woof

Charlie is a lovely bloke, he's been bashing on this issue for over a year - he's a former Major General and has been orchestrating a cross party campaign to sort out the appalling administration of the interpreter/contractor issue. He was a signee, along with 55 other former senior officers of a very blunt letter to the Times/Torygraph and Ben Wallace. There's a big feeling about this in Tory and defence circles, but the rumour is it's getting nowhere because Priti Patel is being difficult, and Johnson won't grip her...

Is anyone even talking about sending planes to evacuate refugees and not just their own stranded nationals?

How would that actually be done though? Given the chance to get on a plane to a country and be given refugee status huge amounts of people would be happy to do that. It's not at all possible practically atm. And now only those in Kabul would even have a chance. Or do you mean a filtering process to get those most at risk having worked for the coalition, for example?

Last edited:
yone even talking about sending planes to evacuate refugees and not just their own stranded nationals?
No, not least because the definition of refugee would differ between the Taliban and everyone else, and the unpleasant truth is that the Taliban could throw a spanner in the works of the diplomatic/ex-pat evacuation if they chose to - which they still might.

How many US, UK, and other nationals are there? Are they evacuating all nationals (NGO, journalists, etc.) or just officials and staff?

many US, UK, and other nationals are there? Are they evacuating all nationals (NGO, journalists, etc.) or just officials and staff?

I don't think I'm spilling any secrets, but the plan has gone to shit - no one was expecting to have to evacuate all the diplomatic staff and the Kabul based people, this NEO was for the regional people, including the vunerables who had worked for the various international orgs, but I fear that with kabul falling today, most of the regional people and vunerables are going to get left behind so they can get the citizens out.

Anyone would have to be on crack to work for/with any western intervention of whatever flavour - they've seen how quickly they will be dropped in the shit.

Biden has done more damage than Trump in 6 short months. Stunning.

Why did Biden follow through on trumps decision to withdraw was it mostly just that bring our boys home was so popular ?

Why did Biden follow through on trumps decision to withdraw was it mostly just that bring our boys home was so popular ?

Trump set a May deadline for withdrawal and had troop numbers down to 2,500 by the start of this year - I think Biden must have believed advisers who told him the Afghan government could probably hang on for a year or two, instead of collapsing like a house of cards within days after the Taliban stepped up their offensive. Now he's going to go down in history as they guy who lost a war that was already lost when he was part of the Obama administration....

Taliban spokesman rings the BBC and is hastily put on air.

”No revenge“
“People and property in Kabul are safe”
”women can have access to work and education“

but also…
”no one can leave the country because it is the country for all. We need all Afghans to stay in the country“

Last edited:
I'm really curious what plan was made with the Taliban... It's not as if there hasnt been years of negotiations. I'm wondering if there's any chance what's happening was approved by all sides ??

Whenever it happened the end would be thus. Biden done it quick so that none of it is on his hands, he didn’t cause this, he ended it, it had to end at some point and when it did the Afghans/Taliban would do what they are doing.

Has anyone got a solution to to the Taliban imposing their shitty rule on the place? Any suggestions at all?
Nope.

Biden’s getting a heap of shit over it but it had to happen at some point. In my mind it says he is a strong leader.

Back
Top Bottom