Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Afghanistan: Mission Accomplished

Any words seem fairly trite when you look at what's happening here.. completely shameful.. Still 'we' have form don't we - what we do, and what we don't do.
Let’s hope the next time the Americans call on UK support for a military misadventure then however easily bought the govt of the day might be (will be), the British public will at least remember this 20 year shitshow and refuse to allow it. Vain hope now I come to think of it, they will be brainwashed and controlled by the media as ever and history will no doubt be repeated to everyone’s cost. :(

Will we snd the Americans even be able to properly secure the airport now. Could some bright an eager Taliban commanders get enough troops and vehicles there to control it either to stop a full evacuation of Afghan people they do t’t want to leave, look good having the west have to rely on them managing the departure of westerners or for Danegeld?

Seems a bit Pristina Airfield mk2.

I think this is almost certain now by the sounds of things. Taliban overseeing Westerners evacuation.

Let’s hope the next time the Americans call on UK support for a military misadventure then however easily bought the govt of the day might be (will be), the British public will at least remember this 20 year shitshow and refuse to allow it.
I think Iraq has already done it. There were precious few ground troops sent to support the Libyan air campaign or the campaign against daesh while the UK also largely stayed out of the Syrian imbroglio

Looks like theyll be handing over power to the Taliban in the next few days. Bagram airbase just been surrendered with 5000 Taliban and IS fighters...

Fucked up. What a bunch of useless cowards. What a waste of 20 years.

remember something from the start of this whole shit show, it Afghan tribal wars it's not regular to fight to the death

just turn up and the one with the biggest army wins and other side accepts the lose and surrenders

with no American backing anymore not sure and a shit government in place not sure what would make the regular army guys want to fight to the bitter end

20 years and the still don't understand the county

Bring back Alexander the Great.

Yes it's interesting about the negotiated surrenders. That seems to be what has happened with the "negotiated surrenders" organised by tribal elders. I guess Biden/The West just never quite got this.

back Alexander the Great.

Yes it's interesting about the negotiated surrenders. That seems to be what has happened with the "negotiated surrenders" organised by tribal elders. I guess Biden/The West just never quite got this.

We did get it - it is, after all, how we raced through Afghanistan like a dose of the clap in 2001 - we just wanted to change it, and told ourselves that we had 'bought' our objectives with blood and treasure when in fact we had rented them, stopped the direct debit, and our delusional politicians were surprised when the bailiffs turned up.

I see the beardies have taken Bagram...which was holding...er...5k Taliban prisoners.
So that's rapidly increased their manpower.

Not sure how this negotiated settlement with Baradar becoming President squares with this mornings reports that an extraction force of 600 paratroopers was being sent in by the UK whilst the US had sent in a futher 3000 men.Perhaps I did not hear that right?

Not sure how this negotiated settlement with Baradar becoming President squares with this mornings reports that an extraction force of 600 paratroopers was being sent in by the UK whilst the US had sent in a futher 3000 men.Perhaps I did not hear that right?

Why, those forces are to facilitate and protect the evacuation, no conflict with what you've said.

we expect a period of rationalisation, where the rival factions within the Taliban jostle for power - and naturally further bloodshed while this goes on?

Oh yeah, the 'taliban' isn't a solid thing, its a system of systems, at least as much about guarding local power and patronage as it is about a specific policy framework.

For the moment it will probably be fairly solid, with its energy directed towards its enemies, but in time it will turn in on itself.

cant see the taliban kicking off with the evacuation of expats at all. they are arseholes but not stupid- they need some kind of acceptance from the former occupiers ( obvs this doesnt extend to fundamentals like domestic womens rights and suchlike)- but they dont want an arsey US sniping and bombing the place after they depart.The evac will not likely be a saigon scenario- the talib need acceptance for their ropey regime- they have a shattered country to run and they understand a need for basic foreign relation perspective.

Back
Top Bottom