Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thread for posting memes and pisstakes of the current government, and the end of the world

They seemed to catch the zeitgeist. Apart from Prescott get a bucket of water over him (which i thought was a bit mean. He’d been a lifelong activist).
Wondered what Prescott was up to these days. Just getting old, I guess. But it led me to this entertaining derail:

In his 2010 autobiography, A Journey, Blair recalls the time he “bumped into” Prince Charles shortly after he had met John Prescott for the first time. Blair – who served as prime minister between 1997 and 2007, and was deputised by Prescott through this decade – asked how it had gone. He writes:

‘Fine, fine,’ Prince Charles replied with a somewhat distracted air, ‘except…’

‘Yes?’ I said encouragingly, knowing some Johnism was about to emerge.

‘Well,’ he said, looking round to see we were undisturbed, ‘does he ever do that thing with you?’

‘What thing?’ I said.

‘Er, well, when he’s sitting opposite you, he slides down the seat with his legs apart, his crotch pointing a little menacingly, and balances his teacup and saucer on his tummy. It’s very odd. I’ve never seen someone do that before. What do you think it means?’

‘I don’t think it means anything really,’ I said.

‘Hmm. You don’t think it’s a sort of gesture or sign of hostility or class enmity or something?’

‘No,’ I said, ‘he does that with me often.’

‘Yes,’ he replied, clearly unconvinced, ‘but -’

‘You mean,’ I interjected, ‘he’s making a working-class point against you, upper class, and me, middle class?’

‘Well, it could be,’ he said.

‘No, I think he just likes drinking his tea that way.’

/derail

FcXGgA9WYAE9756

Back
Top Bottom