Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Birmingham and Black Country thread for all things Brummie and Yam-Yam

At first glance I really thought this was the house I was living in up until late 2020. Sad news, hopefully they find the cause and everyone else near by gets the help they need, not only now, but in order to sort their properties out long term.

Used our Key to the City yesterday ( thanks for the heads up cybershot ).
Had a look under the tunnels at New Street and went in Colmore House. Great views from there. We were put on the 19th floor as the usual 18th with outdoor balcony was privately hired for the day. That was a bonus to be honest as we could see views from all 4 sides of the building including Snow Hill Station, Pidgeon Park, Floozie and Broad St.

Both sites were really interesting, a view of underground and high rise Brum we wouldnt normally see. Ended up in the lovely Beer Garden at the Wellington. A bit surprised at the number of new bars opened up on Temple St.

Used our Key to the City yesterday ( thanks for the heads up cybershot ).
Had a look under the tunnels at New Street and went in Colmore House. Great views from there. We were put on the 19th floor as the usual 18th with outdoor balcony was privately hired for the day. That was a bonus to be honest as we could see views from all 4 sides of the building including Snow Hill Station, Pidgeon Park, Floozie and Broad St.

Both sites were really interesting, a view of underground and high rise Brum we wouldnt normally see. Ended up in the lovely Beer Garden at the Wellington. A bit surprised at the number of new bars opened up on Temple St.
I do wonder how many people have bothered with the ones outside the city centre.
I haven't, due to one thing or another. Must try and get back on it this weekend, especially as both me and the OH could do with a cheap weekend in the sunshine.

I do wonder how many people have bothered with the ones outside the city centre.
I haven't, due to one thing or another. Must try and get back on it this weekend, especially as both me and the OH could do with a cheap weekend in the sunshine.

We're near enough to the Jewellery Quarter to nip up there before the project ends, theres a couple that way I think. The Baggies ground is very near too so we'll have a look what it's like empty (cue jokes from Lorca :D).

I wondered why they chose that date - same as the French Bastille Day :D
Apparently it was for this....

Black Country Day is officially celebrated every 14 July, a date that was chosen to mark the region’s industrial heritage, as it is the anniversary of the invention of the world’s first steam engine, the Newcomen Engine, built in 1712 at the Conygree Coalworks near Dudley.

:)

I'm wondering whether Birmingham is going to be noticeably busier over the next couple for weeks because of the cw games. be nice to see a good buzz around the city.

Quite good tbh. Bit of a dig from Joe Lycett about the Gov't which was nice. Ain't sure they got it right that the women chain makers of the Black Country helped to provide chains for the slavery trade, they certainly didnt mention that they were the first female organised strikers.
Other than that yeah, some nice tunes played and a big bull that had even Sir Lenny wonder whether he had the right mushrooms on his breakfast today.

Quite good tbh. Bit of a dig from Joe Lycett about the Gov't which was nice. Ain't sure they got it right that the women chain makers of the Black Country helped to provide chains for the slavery trade, they certainly didnt mention that they were the first female organised strikers.
Other than that yeah, some nice tunes played and a big bull that had even Sir Lenny wonder whether he had the right mushrooms on his breakfast today.
Not quite sure about the slavery trade - I know there was some controversy over the Black Country flag.
When I visited the Black Country Museum we went into an old factory building and were told they used to manufacture man traps :eek:

Not quite sure about the slavery trade - I know there was some controversy over the Black Country flag.
When I visited the Black Country Museum we went into an old factory building and were told they used to manufacture man traps :eek:

Yeah I saw those in the museum, grim, I much preferred the chippy.

I remember the furore about the flag too where I think it was proved that chain making in the Black Country started well after slavery was abolished in the UK. Grey area I suppose when you consider that slavery very much exists today as was found in that large bust in West Bromwich the other year.

Ooh, how long is it there for?

They're not sure but it will be having a permanent base in Brum after the games.
Another article in the same rag says that the names of the 21 victims of the pub bombings are inscribed on the bulls head as a tribute.

Last edited:
I remember the furore about the flag too where I think it was proved that chain making in the Black Country started well after slavery was abolished in the UK. Grey area I suppose when you consider that slavery very much exists today as was found in that large bust in West Bromwich the other year.

The way the opening ceremony played fast and loose with the historical facts of the chain makers was pitiful. As you say there was not one word about the strikes or their struggle instead the focus was on the woefully inaccurate claims about links to slave ships which were, by then thankfully long gone. I also didn't get the focus on the conflict between the Irish/Black/Asian and Chinese communities. News to me. I also note Elgar (Worcester) and Samuel Johnston (Lichfield) seem to have been appropriated by Birmingham/Black Country.

Whilst it was good to see the story of the region being told it wasn't a very accurate story. The bull was great though!

went in to bham city centre earlier. absolutely rammed. a real buzz about the place.

Yeah it's a lively place at the mo. We were over there last Sunday for a Games festival in Victoria Sq, the womens football and a look at the now infamous BullIMG-20220801-WA0003.jpg

Back
Top Bottom