Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Birmingham and Black Country thread for all things Brummie and Yam-Yam

The commonwealth games are 125 days away. The tram system is suspended. Again due to cracks! The roads around Perry Barr are gridlock even now and is the stadium close to being ready.....?

DJI_0781-HDR.jpg

DJI_0793-HDR.jpg

DJI_0799-HDR.jpg

DJI_0805-HDR.jpg

Also saw a heron in the Canal which part of the locks seem to be drained and looks a right mess! (crap phone zoomed photo)

IMG_7679.jpeg

The commonwealth games are 125 days away. The tram system is suspended. Again due to cracks! The roads around Perry Barr are gridlock even now and is the stadium close to being ready.....?

View attachment 315862

View attachment 315863

View attachment 315864

View attachment 315865

Also saw a heron in the Canal which part of the locks seem to be drained and looks a right mess! (crap phone zoomed photo)

View attachment 315866
Have you seen the state of University station? What chance that being ready on time? :hmm: :facepalm: :D

Have you seen the state of University station? What chance that being ready on time? :hmm: :facepalm: :D
They've already said It won't be ready. No idea if the concourse will at least be done, but all the inside shops and stuff defo won't be. If everyone has to use the old stairs and what not it's going to be a huge overcrowding issue. I assume you've been told to take annual leave or work from home during that period?

I assume you've been told to take annual leave or work from home during that period?
lol, yep. I then pointed out it’s the only time of year we have to do the maintenance and testing we must do to remain legal and open. The stuff that requires many contractors on site in vans with heavy equipment who require access via the rear of my building. Which is accessed by a road which will be closed off as it’s in a “secure zone”.

It’s going to be an absolute clusterfuck.

lol, yep. I then pointed out it’s the only time of year we have to do the maintenance and testing we must do to remain legal and open. The stuff that requires many contractors on site in vans with heavy equipment who require access via the rear of my building. Which is accessed by a road which will be closed off as it’s in a “secure zone”.

It’s going to be an absolute clusterfuck.
Yup. I got the same problem in terms of maintenance for our lab. But I'll be out of there come start of May, so part of me don't give a fuck!

I will have to check that out.

I went to see some enjoyably? weirdly? strange stuff at the British Art Show 9 in Wolverhampton. It's on until the 10th April.

Only had time for the exhibition at the art school but am intending to go to the art gallery over the next couple of weekends. Medicine are opening a new bakery at the lighthouse so hopefully I can combine it with some pastries :D

There are a lot of films at BAS9 so time is needed which we didn’t have when at the art school but did at the gallery. There is a fabulous collection of cats at the art gallery with a film that is very good.

Attachments

• 92080D65-1C8E-4FA0-BC54-96F97E56C800.jpeg
    92080D65-1C8E-4FA0-BC54-96F97E56C800.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 4
I see the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery are reopening on 28th April with an exhibition about the Que Club...

Article from The Face with the son of the late photographer Terence Donovan, who took the photographs of the Que Club in the upcoming exhibition at the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery starting on April 28th - free admission.

Wolverhampton Art Gallery have a music exhibition on too, from 7th May to 4th September - Black Country Beats.

Really good to see the emergence of a series of exhibitions and calls for oral testimony and memorabilia. The micro-emergence of the West Midlands talking about its own history and culture is both long overdue and extremely valuable. No doubt much of it will have to be irritatingly self deprecating but this is still so important because, well, its our lives and our unique culture ai it.

Birmingham city center feels very mixed bag, a lot of it's not for me in the evenings - to loud to eat a quiet meal and to many deliveroo riders to feel comfortable walking. Hard to find healthy cheapish food as well.

Yet it's fairly ok during the day, feels so different to 20 years ago. A lot brighter shops. Galleries and art promoted more.

Traffic directions are insane though, next time I'll stick to getting direct train out and back rather than get picked up by relatives.

Lot to process.

Anyone doing this key to the city thing? Picked up ours on Friday. Only ended up doing a couple of things. Colmore row didn’t open till 4 and the OH started to feel faint so going up the tallest skyscraper didn’t sound like a good idea. I’ll do it after work one evening. The new street station subways I vaguely remember. Selfrdiges was poo. Just choose a song to put on their internal sound system. A few other duff looking options as well that I probably won’t bother with.

Anyone doing this key to the city thing? Picked up ours on Friday. Only ended up doing a couple of things. Colmore row didn’t open till 4 and the OH started to feel faint so going up the tallest skyscraper didn’t sound like a good idea. I’ll do it after work one evening. The new street station subways I vaguely remember. Selfrdiges was poo. Just choose a song to put on their internal sound system. A few other duff looking options as well that I probably won’t bother with.

Had not heard of this, thanks for the heads up, I might give it a go.
The metro is (allegedly) back on tomorrow so I will be nipping into town anyway.

Sounds very intriguing :hmm: a few of those places I've not heard of.
I'm not in Brum or I might have given it a go.

Hadn't heard of it until we bumped into some friends at New St who were collecting theirs. Looks like it might be fun.

Back
Top Bottom