Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Birmingham and Black Country thread for all things Brummie and Yam-Yam

Planning on visiting Coventry in December, anyone got any tips on things to do/see (already planning on visiting the cathedral)?

I was hoping for some local insight rather than a link to the most popular trip rating website on the internet tbh

(it isn't true that there's everything of interest on tripadvisor btw - there's no mention whatsoever of these magnificent Joseph Mitchell concrete relief sculptures, adorning what's currently a chicken shop in the precinct)

p1090684-copy.jpg

(it isn't true that there's everything of interest on tripadvisor btw - there's no mention whatsoever of these magnificent Joseph Mitchell concrete relief sculptures, adorning what's currently a chicken shop in the precinct)

p1090684-copy.jpg
Do you mean William Mitchell? We have those in Birmingham. Hockley flyover. Also opposite a chicken shop.

Do you mean William Mitchell? We have those in Birmingham. Hockley flyover. Also opposite a chicken shop.
Yes I do. I've got a book by Joseph Mitchell on the shelf in my line of view so I must have mixed them up.

I'm not going to Birmingham this time, though I'm sure your Mitchells are great too.

Been a long time since I was last in Coventry, i studied there early 90's. Only things i remember are the Cathedral ruins (which are great to walk through) and the Herbert Art Gallery, which as current City of Culture has had some Two Tone events on but you will have to check if they're still on killer b

I'm not sure any of us regulars in here are from Coventry tbh, we really are Brum and Black Country folk. Covs a bit erm, South.

My mum and I went to Cov a few weeks ago killer b as she wanted to visit whilst it’s the City of Culture. There’s a lot of events on; The Turner Prize is currently on in the gallery right across from the Cathedral and is worth a gander. I would look up the events for December and see what you fancy. They have opened up buildings not previously open to the public; we saw what was I think an old chapel and then a school on the way back to the train station. They’d put an exhibition on and the young woman there said just being able to see inside the building was a treat as it had been left for years. Near the train station there is also a huge model of Coventry in medieval times. The guy who made it did it during lockdown and then donated it to the City. When you arrive they’ve installed a little visitor shed as part of city of culture which you can go in and they’ll tell you what’s on etc.

There's a Decathlon in Coventry....

The big church in the middle of the city - not the cathedral - is interesting if you like churches.

Coventry is perhaps the great indictment of humanity (and possibly hyperbole...) in that it was once one of the finest medieval towns in England with buildings and town walls to rival York or Chester...

My mum and I went to Cov a few weeks ago killer b as she wanted to visit whilst it’s the City of Culture. There’s a lot of events on; The Turner Prize is currently on in the gallery right across from the Cathedral and is worth a gander. I would look up the events for December and see what you fancy. They have opened up buildings not previously open to the public; we saw what was I think an old chapel and then a school on the way back to the train station. They’d put an exhibition on and the young woman there said just being able to see inside the building was a treat as it had been left for years. Near the train station there is also a huge model of Coventry in medieval times. The guy who made it did it during lockdown and then donated it to the City. When you arrive they’ve installed a little visitor shed as part of city of culture which you can go in and they’ll tell you what’s on etc.
I'd forgotten the Turner Prize exhibition was there, will defo check that out - cheers!

I guessed there would be a few remarks and Coventry, asking in the Brummie and Black Country section - sorry, us Brummies are inclined to make offhand remarks about it :D I was on the train once and, coming into Coventry station, a lady asked a fellow passenger if he was getting off there to which he replied in a dead pan way 'well someone has to'.

To balance all that, Ian Visits blog posted a good article a few years ago...

I'd forgotten the Turner Prize exhibition was there, will defo check that out - cheers!
Coventry Music Museum is worth a look - you can sit in the car from the Ghosttown video and see some of Delia Derbyshire's equipment, there's a quite nice two tone cafe next door.

Fargo Village is worth a wander, there are some nice cafes and restuarants there, good combined with a trip to the Herbert Art Gallery as it's just down the road.

Coombe Abbey is a great park just outside the city into Warwickshire.

It's not Birmingham or the Black Country but I'm fond of Cov.

Another recommendation for Fargo Village, near the university. It's a little bit hipstery, but the brewhouse is good, the Dirty Kitch vegan street food is fabulous, and the little independent indoor market is worth a mooch around.

There is a nice Arts Centre at Warwick University which is just 3 miles outside Coventry and there's a bus service which runs out there. Been a long while since I visited but I remember it's set in nice grounds.
Don't know if anything on there would take your fancy...

Back
Top Bottom