Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

21st Century Nativism in the US

krtek a houby

Anger is Hi-NRG
Not entirely sure how to word this, but nativisim seems to have bubbled over and under American political and social life over the years. Am interested in the 19th century anti-Irish sentiment - did this entirely disappear or are there still elements of it?

Remember arguing (years back) with a right wing New Yorker who kept pushing the idea that anti-Irish sentiment is/was a myth etc. (This was before the rise of the Tea Barty birtherism bollocks.) He was adamant that it just didn't exist.

Been reading a bit about the San Patricios as well, lately. Are there any books to be recommended about anti-Irish sentiment overall in the US?

The jeering and rejection of Biden comes from many angles. The Trumpists nonsense about him being communist/Marxist/China enabler etc. The sensible rejection that he's just going to be more of the same old same old (as it was pre-Trump). Am wondering is there any latent late period nativism towards him, given his heritage? It's probably very tenous, if so. But there was anger directed to JFK back in the 60s and his heritage/religion was unfairly brought up in the run up to the 1960 election... is it still out there?

Thanks in advance.

Not entirely sure how to word this, but nativisim seems to have bubbled over and under American political and social life over the years. Am interested in the 19th century anti-Irish sentiment - did this entirely disappear or are there still elements of it?

Remember arguing (years back) with a right wing New Yorker who kept pushing the idea that anti-Irish sentiment is/was a myth etc. (This was before the rise of the Tea Barty birtherism bollocks.) He was adamant that it just didn't exist.

Been reading a bit about the San Patricios as well, lately. Are there any books to be recommended about anti-Irish sentiment overall in the US?

The jeering and rejection of Biden comes from many angles. The Trumpists nonsense about him being communist/Marxist/China enabler etc. The sensible rejection that he's just going to be more of the same old same old (as it was pre-Trump). Am wondering is there any latent late period nativism towards him, given his heritage? It's probably very tenous, if so. But there was anger directed to JFK back in the 60s and his heritage/religion was unfairly brought up in the run up to the 1960 election... is it still out there?

Thanks in advance.
Have you tried 'how the Irish became white'?

There's a load of stuff if you just Google eg anti-irish racism in the us. But much may have been disguised as anti-catholicism too.

So, maybe a bit of the old nativism/sectarianism popping up again?

But aside from specific campaign issues, some academics say "Christian nationalism" was behind much of the religious support for Mr Trump's campaign.
They say Christian nationalism merges Christian identity with national identity: to be American is to be Christian. Proponents believe that America's success depends on its adherence to conservative Christian positions and warn, in Mr Trump's words, of "an assault on Christianity" from political opponents.
"Voting for Trump was, at least for many Americans, a symbolic defence of the United States' perceived Christian heritage," the sociologist Andrew Whitehead wrote in a paper analysing the support for the president.

Academics such as Mr Whitehead and Philip Gorski, professor of sociology at Yale University, argue that throughout his presidency, Mr Trump explicitly played to Christian nationalist ideas by repeating the claim that the United States is abdicating its Christian heritage.
The Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church of the US, the Most Reverend Michael Curry, described the riots as a "coup attempt" and "deeply disturbing".
The Episcopal Bishop of Washington, the Right Reverend Mariann Budde, said the religious symbols on display were "the most heretical, blasphemous forms of Christianity".
"This has been part of our nativist, racist Christian past from the beginning," she told the Sunday programme on BBC Radio 4. "What has been different in the Trump presidency has been the legitimisation of it."

Next week, Mr Biden will be inaugurated as only the second US President who is openly Catholic.

In many ways he was a more suitable candidate for Christian voters than Mr Trump.
He attends Mass at least once a week, his speeches are infused with biblical language, and he goes out of his way to describe the role faith has on his politics.

Then there's this:

But many Christians, including some of Mr Biden's fellow Catholics, refuse to see him as a "real" Christian because of his support for abortion access and for LGBT rights.

A ripe old mix.

Trump's Christian supporters and the march on the Capitol

i never experience any nativist stuff, but i wouldn't have on account of the corner of the culture i grew up in.

however when i heard trump say that biden "wants to hurt god" i did hear coded nativist language. this is a somewhat bigger deal than it's been made out to be; on parler and other such sites there was language to the effect that "this is a protestant country" and for that reason biden should be rejected.

i read How the Irish Became White ages ago, and maybe should again, but it seemed to me then that Ignatiev was making an awful lot out of a very few examples.

I'd guess that anti-Irish/Italian/Spanish anti-Catholicism would have been kind of... redirected into anti-Mexican/Latino anti-Catholicism? I spose Jack Chick was the last outstanding example of a really, truly dedicated obsessive anti-Romanist, I don't know if anyone's really picked up that particular torch now that he's gone. The US far-right today feels a fair bit less specifically Protestant than it did even in the Bush era, at least to me. Also there's now the whole tradcath phenomenon of a dedicated Catholic far-right, that also feels quite new.

Also there's now the whole tradcath phenomenon of a dedicated Catholic far-right, that also feels quite new.

it was during the bush II years that i saw it. woytyla sent a letter through the nuncio to bush to say that the invasion of Iraq was unjustifiable by any measure and bush took the letter and literally put it on tbe sidetable and walked away (this was filmed). an amazing number of US catholics supported bush in this: i was new to the internet then and the rhetoric was unbelievable. and it's never stopped, there are Qatholics now and an industry around burke and vigano and arroyo etc. I'm long since a skeptic but "catholics" who love the death penalty and love trump and love the GOP more than the RCC I'll never understand.

"Nativism" is a really funny thing to call it in the US, unless it involves deporting all post-Columbian settlers. It's the kind of uniquely American twist of language that reminds me of how "right to work" actually means that employers can fire you for any reason, including no reason at all.

Back
Top Bottom