So these are now available in supermarkets - one of them is offering:

Spuds
Parsnips
Sprouts
Carrots
Swede
Red cabbage
Broccoli

I have a fairly empty freezer so I can make various soups, curries whatever.

But can I freeze any of the veg without going to the trouble of cooking an entire meal? I have an idea that some of these can be blanched (though not quite sure what that is)

Used to be such things as root cellars, and i think with spuds and carrots you can put them in the garden with a bit of soil over if you have one.

I wonder how they can afford to do that ...

That's the bulk of my daily diet .
Maybe I will treat myself to some potatoes over the hostilities... - I just realised next Monday is Xmas...

As for storage, red cabbage will last well in my cold house, sprouts less-so ...

I hope Aldi don't get cleared out of sprouts on day 1...

Maybe I will treat myself to some potatoes over the hostilities... - I just realised next Monday is Xmas...

As for storage, red cabbage will last well in my cold house, sprouts less-so ...

Aldi are apparently not underpaying the suppliers, they’re paying their usual rate

They can afford to do it as if your veg is 15pence then you’re more likely to do the big Festive shop then, they forgo pennies on the spuds for a £200 shop that may have been done in another shop

I’m going to get a few packs of the veg I like I think. I can make some into soup, and will work out how to blanch.

Don't see why you couldn't freeze all those.
I bought a load of parsnips and froze them recently.
Everyone loves roasted parsnips here so I do hope they will be ok when I defrost and roast them.

Everyone loves roasted parsnips
I assure you they do not!

But anyway, all the OP's veg are fairly low in water content, so can be frozen easily. Probably best cut into chunks (except for the potato). The broccoli may go a bit shit. Better to make them into soups (or whatever) first, but they'll survive whatever.

I assure you they do not!

But anyway, all the OP's veg are fairly low in water content, so can be frozen easily. Probably best cut into chunks (except for the potato). The broccoli may go a bit shit. Better to make them into soups (or whatever) first, but they'll survive whatever.
I meant here..in my family..
Anyway..
You are incorrect.
I figure properly roast parnips with a honey glaze are better than any form of brussels sprouts at Christmas

Aldi are apparently not underpaying the suppliers, they’re paying their usual rate

They can afford to do it as if your veg is 15pence then you’re more likely to do the big Festive shop then, they forgo pennies on the spuds for a £200 shop that may have been done in another shop
Little do they know lol...
I almost bought a jar of mincemeat the other day...

I suppose I might buy some sort of vegan savoury thing but I don't have an oven...

It's a loss leader - they offer veg at cheaper than they pay suppliers for it, people go to the shop to buy the cheap veg and buy other stuff - the supplier gets paid the usual rate for the veg, and the shop makes a profit off the other stuff people buy while they are in there buying the cheap veg.

I was in a small branch of Lidl earlier but they only had carrots out so far - they usually include swede and bags of shallots in their 15p veg offerings as well as the usual carrots/parsnips/sprouts/spuds.

Last edited:
Decided I’m going to stock up on veg tomorrow, then based on how much I get through (and how full the freezer is) then may try and re-up on Saturday

Reactions: Sue
How long is this going on for? I was quite surprised in lidl this morning.

Until the supermarkets shut on 24th.
This has been a bit of a trend in the last few years.
It wouldn't have been a surprise if you read my posts - I keep my ear to the ground when it comes to bargains and posted details on 5th December about when the veg price war was due to start this year ;) :D

Cabbage used to arrive in Beijing in trucks, people would buy their winter supply and stack it in the stairwell in the housing complexes. You just pull off any manky outer leaves, though winters colder than a fridge here.
When I lived in Beijing, it went down to about -17 degrees, but weirdly, it feels colder in the UK when it's around zero. I think it's because when it's cold in the UK, especially in Manchester/the North, it's a damp cold that kind of seeps into your bones and makes you feel miserable, whereas in Beijing, the cold was a dry cold, so you could just dress for it and you'd be fine. It's when all your clothes get wet and start to make you feel cold that it gets grim.

When I lived in Beijing, it went down to about -17 degrees, but weirdly, it feels colder in the UK when it's around zero. I think it's because when it's cold in the UK, especially in Manchester/the North, it's a damp cold that kind of seeps into your bones and makes you feel miserable, whereas in Beijing, the cold was a dry cold, so you could just dress for it and you'd be fine. It's when all your clothes get wet and start to make you feel cold that it gets grim.

Yes, Russian students always complain about how cold London winters are and Saudis about the heat in the summer. I think that this is partially due to the humidity and also the fact that British buildings are not built to resist either cold or hit weather

Yes, it is pretty definitely the damp cold that gets in the bones. Anything down to about minus twelve and with the sun in the day it's fine here, just need your hat and gloves out, proper layers work really well in a dry cold. It's been below that at night and it does get a bit much after a short while and if the wind gets up it really cuts anything exposed. Metal gate starts sticking and all that.
ETA Dogs will make a dash for the open gate to roam around the village but even they come straight back now :D

I have an idea that some of these can be blanched (though not quite sure what that is)
Added to water that's already at a steady boil, cooked for roughly two to three minutes (depending on type and size of veg) starting from when the water is boiling again - if this takes longer than about a minute you've added too much veg for the amount of water. Then drain and immediately submerge in really cold water to stop them cooking - if you have a big enough pan to do large quantities then you'll probably need to give them a stir and change the water at least once. Then drain again and get the veg as dry as you can before freezing either packed tightly into a container with as little air as possible in it, or freeze loose on a tray and then transfer into a container once they're frozen (doing this stops stuff freezing together in one solid lump)

Finland in Feb felt warmer than the UK does despite the ice and snow, it is the humidity. It can be a bit disconcerting.

Also our housing is shit tbf

Red cabbage is a staple in our house so should probably pick some up. Like carrot done like that as well, but involves peeling and grating in the food processor so a bit more work so don't do it as often.

Back
Top Bottom