Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

15p bags of veg

The sack of sprouts we got in todays shopping is best before the 23rd :hmm:

I’ll freeze what I don’t use on Friday I think

The sack of sprouts we got in todays shopping is best before the 23rd :hmm:

I’ll freeze what I don’t use on Friday I think

They'll probably be fine if kept somewhere cool and dry (fridge or dark cool cupboard works).
I find sprouts tend to be quite long-lasting.
You can also prep them by taking off any manky outer leaves and store in a bowl of water in the fridge.

Got sprouts and parsnips yesterday, the last bag of sprouts I got a couple of weeks ago were totally fine in the fridge and I finished them off for tea last night.
Ran out of hands to carry spuds but will get them tomorrow. Not going to bother with carrots.
When I lived in HK, parsnips were a premium item at this time of year and crazy expensive, it's weird seeing them going for 15p, could probably start an illicit parsnip export business :D

Lidl seem a bit sporadic in terms of what they have on the shelves - went to one branch Monday mid afternoon and they only had carrots - wasn't going to get any of those til later in the week because I find they are the worst for storing.
Another branch I went to yesterday (I have been looking for their Continental Xmas Biscuit Selection box, which I finally got yesterday) and that one only had sprouts and parsnips, none of the other items.

Asian ladies in my store are buying trollies full of the 15p potatoes. We are all baffled by what they are doing with them!

I’m going to have to restrict them to 5 bags per customer at this rate!

Asian ladies in my store are buying trollies full of the 15p potatoes. We are all baffled by what they are doing with them!

They probably own fish & chips shops...

They probably own fish & chips shops...
I was going to say, at 15p a bag it's probably cheaper than the cash & carry.
I've seen quite a few people doing what looks like shop or restaurant stocking in the supermarket the last couple of days.

Yeah we get people buying trollies full of beer when it’s on offer.

Oh I do that for personal use.
I only really drink beer and it's so fucking expensive that when there's an offer I just load up.
Trolley full is about a weeks worth probably.

Oh I do that for personal use.
I only really drink beer and it's so fucking expensive that when there's an offer I just load up.
Trolley full is about a weeks worth probably.

One thing i miss about WFH is not being able to order intresting discounted beer online.

I asked a customer why she was buying 20 bags of potatoes. Apparently it’s for family.

I’m really bored of looking at potatoes now.

Where did you do that from? I still WFH and it sounds like a good hobby to have!

A number, but this one most of often. You need to keep an eye on it (ideally get the emails) to get the best deals. I don't tend to bother with draft beer that's been bottled as it wasn't that good.

So these are now available in supermarkets - one of them is offering:

Spuds
Parsnips
Sprouts
Carrots
Swede
Red cabbage
Broccoli

I have a fairly empty freezer so I can make various soups, curries whatever.

But can I freeze any of the veg without going to the trouble of cooking an entire meal? I have an idea that some of these can be blanched (though not quite sure what that is)
Wow !

It's a fiver for one parsnip over here!

Back
Top Bottom