Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your Favourite Convenience Food

i dunno. toast you have to watch (we don't have a toaster)

couscous you just dump it in a bowl and add water. then stick some other stuff on it, same as toast :)

Dubversion said:
actually, when you think about it, couscous is about the most convenient food there is.

Yep - pour boiling water over it, cover and let it stand for 5 minutes. Even more convenient when it's one of those already seasoned packets.

I think I prefer bulgar wheat though (another convenient food)

frozen "southwestern egg rolls" with spicy ranch to dip them in. sooooo unhealthy. They have chicken, black beans, cilantro, sweetcorn and cheese inside and they're deep fried before freezing, so they come out OK even if you microwave them (as long as you leave them to sit for a minute afterwards to re-crisp up). I had to stop buying them as we'd eat nothing else until they were gone, even though I jolly well can cook too. :mad:

Dubversion said:
well it's not like making it yourself, but compared with a lot of convenience stuff it's pretty good going. Top it up with fresh stuff - olives, peppers and the like - and it's pretty good

To be fair though, it's not that far off making it yourself, which is perhaps why that packet's sat up top of my cupboards so long. I've picked it up and looked at the intructions a fair few times, then thought I may as well go the whole hog. If you're going to the trouble of chopping up the fresh stuff, then it's surely only reaching for some fresh stock (in freezer for me generally) and then stirring normal risotto for only another 10mins more than the 'instant' variety.

I think it's the in-between nature of the product which puts me off a little, not the idea of it. I'll even buy and cook that Ainsley shitcunt cous cous from time to time, which is ridiculously easy to make and gives you a near instant cous cous with remarkably little effort, albeit with a surprisingly likeable artificial funny flavoured tang.

Back
Top Bottom