Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your Favourite Convenience Food

I adore homemade mayo, but I eat it once every 6 months if that, which is why I don't make it myself. Pesto I will make in the summer when the basil is plentiful, but I find the jarred de cecco stuff from Italy is fine in the winter.

I think homemade mayo would put me off eating it - seeing how much oil goes into it :eek:

Its bascially egg yolks with a bit of vinegar and flavouring (?mustard or whatever) whisked until creamy with oil drizzled in (very slowly at first) and whisked until a suitable consistancy. It suses quite a lot of oil and involves a lot of whisking although you can do it in a blender doodah iirc

I would like to nominate jars of pesto, it is easy to make but I dont often have fresh basil lying around to make it.

lidl used to do really nice croque monsueirs with proper cheese and ham but they've stopped doing them :( houmous is pretty good too..my gf's housemate regularly makes loads,so we always have some knocking about,brie,salami and sweet chili jam is the best fast sandwich to make.

Poncey one: Marks and Spencers 'nutritionally balanced' range Andhra Lamb Curry - gorgeous and about the only ready meal i can stomach
Normal one: Heinz Ravioli

a sarnie as 'convenience food' is slightly cheating. you do actually have to create something

and adding too many bits to things ie risotto is starting to become a bit inconvenient

missfran said:
The English Provender Company's Very Lazy range: http://www.englishprovender.com/

I use the very lazy jars of chili and ginger on an almost daily basis.

:eek: :eek:

That has shocked me missfran!

*mops brow*

My favourite convenience food: spaghetti with some sort of tomato sauce from a jar. It's totally indulgent since I make much better tommy sauce than you ever get out of a jar, but sometimes even that small effort is too much to bother with.

:D

I'm not a culinary saint! The EPG products are very good quality and very handy.

(And don't tell anyone, but I secretly love cup-a-soups too)

Baked beans and baby sausages on toast, supernoodles, batchelors pasta n sauce, frankfurters eaten cold from the packet dipped in tomato sauce or mustard, sweetcorn mixed with salad cream eaten from the tin, baby pickled beetroot from the jar.

Pasta & pesto :)

Might try some of that risotto though - still l not learned how to make one myself :oops:

West Indian patties and frozen chinese dumplings for me. Bit of a sucker for Chicken Kevins too, well Kievs anyway.

I've got to admit that I don't like that pronto Risotto stuff too much - it's a bit salty and artifical tasting generally. That said, I've had a pack of the mushroom stuff sat on top of my shelves for ages - perhaps I'll give it another try tonight

So many differently cooked styles of pattie too, from crumbliest yellow cornflour pastry through to crisper affairs. And different types of filling too - from the moistest pastes through to big chunks of veg and meat, with varying levels of peppers and spice. The search for the perfect patty is ongoing - it's a life mission I tell you.

Fortunately, we're not badly stocked for them around here. I'm currently developing a love of the curry chicken dumpling too - one of the finest snack developments in recent times...

:cool:

supper noodles (must be mild curry flavour)
or
pasta with tuna/mayo/sweetcorn mixed together
or
scrambled eggs with chorizo or bacon lardons
or/and
beans on toast

Fried egg sandwich in baguette with tomato ketchup and burger mustard.
Fruit.

tarannau said:
I've got to admit that I don't like that pronto Risotto stuff too much - it's a bit salty and artifical tasting generally. That said, I've had a pack of the mushroom stuff sat on top of my shelves for ages - perhaps I'll give it another try tonight

well it's not like making it yourself, but compared with a lot of convenience stuff it's pretty good going. Top it up with fresh stuff - olives, peppers and the like - and it's pretty good

Treebeak said:
Baked beans and baby sausages on toast, supernoodles, batchelors pasta n sauce, frankfurters eaten cold from the packet

Same :)

Although I try not to eat convenience/junk food.

I want some of that risotto though, Dub's sold it so well :D

Back
Top Bottom