Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your Favourite Convenience Food

Dubversion

Gorn
Enforced Holiday
I'd like to salute the wonder that is the Gallo Risotto Pronto

RisoGallo-pronto-pack.jpg

a perfectly decent risotto that's cooked in 12 minutes. Bung in (as i've just done) some borlotti beans, some herbs, a spoonful of wholegrain mustard, some sliced olives and a sprinkling of parmesan. A lovely lunch ready in a total of about 15 minutes and about £1.50

sorted

beesonthewhatnow said:
Fish finger sarnies.
I prefer fingering a fishy sandwhich

However my fave convenience food is probably pasta with tomato soup as the sauce, with some basil and tobasco mixed in to give it a bit of flavour, plus some cheese

Yes, marmite sandwiches.. maybe with a little cucumber for good measure.

Or an avocado, or mixed nuts

M&S used to do a good artichoke pasta sauce which was one of my favourite pasta sauces when I couldn't be bothered to cook. Sadly no longer..

suzee blue cheese said:
Yes, marmite sandwiches.. maybe with a little cucumber for good measure.

Or an avocado, or mixed nuts

M&S used to do a good artichoke pasta sauce which was one of my favourite pasta sauces when I couldn't be bothered to cook. Sadly no longer..
Have you tried a Marmite & Guinness sandwich suzee? I've tried to get the Marmite & Guinness everywhere but with no luck (sigh). See T_Ps thread if not sure what I'm on about.

That risotto pronto stuff is ace. I am also a big fan of the 4 cheese tortellini - 3 minutes boil, pesto, parmesan. Bish bosh dinner :)

you could just buy some marmite and mix it with a bit of guinness. the resulting reduction in viscosity would make it easier to spread

Do pesto and chutneys and the like really count as convenience foods? I thought those were more condiments.

I tend to avoid convenience type foods, except candy. :oops:

I occasionally get store bought soups, never from a can, though!

I have bad memories of tinned chicken and stars soup from my childhood, which is just a salty mess I can't stand. Most of the other tinned soups I have tried are way too salty, otherwise bland, and insubstantial. Ready-made fresh soups (like New Covent Garden) are OK, but if I want soup I usually make it myself. To be fair, I don't like homemade brothy soups either, they just taste like glorified salt water to me. I like creamy or potatoey ones, which don't fair well from the tin.

I have adopted that method in the past couple years in general: if I don't have time to make something myself, then I don't eat it (except for pasta, pesto and mayonnaise, of course).

I remember pouring a tin of lentil soup, thinking WTF - it was basically red water with a few tiny bits of red pepper in it. Not sure if there was any lentil in it...

Patak's frozen chicken tikka masala.

99p and worth every penny. Fucking lovely if a bit stingey on portion size.

1) Cut large lump from the first block of cheese in the fridge that comes to hand.

2) Eat it.

3) Repeat until full/nauseous.

catrina said:
if I don't have time to make something myself, then I don't eat it (except for pasta, pesto and mayonnaise, of course).
That's just rank inconsistency - pesto and mayonnaise are the easiest things to make - quicker than soup!

Back
Top Bottom