Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

Took both Kizzy and Misty to the vets for first check up since we had them
Vet reckons frontline "no longer works" as been on market for a long time and sold us some other stuff, and a different de wormer
Misty apparently has a bit of gingivitis and tartar on teeth but otherwise they're both ok, vet said Misty was a bit overweight
Kizzy was meowling a bit but they were both very well behaved
It's odd, I never thought from your pics that either of them were that big. That's quite a lot of cat you have there.

May Kasahara and anyone else with a long hair, how much discipline does it require with brushing their coats? I've only ever lived with shirt-hairs, but one gorgeous little long hair has appeared at my local Cats Protection centre, and I want to check what I need to know if I was to take the plunge.

Getting shit caught in their fluffy bottoms looks like a potential problem I'd rather not have to deal with.

I never brush Donut :oops: He doesn't seem to need it (no dreads). Does get a shitty bum sometimes though, and it is grim :mad:
I don't brush Milly. She is never knotted. The bum thing has happened about 4 times in 3 years. Once she had a solid log half out, I went to sort it, she jumped in fear, it flew out off the mass of fur and bounced off the living room window.

We have brushed Kizzy and partner tries often, sometimes Kizzy likes and allows it but then gets annoyed
Not been much of an issue but noticing the odd bit of matting recently

We never brushed or combed our old cat Tiggy (who was longhaired) until she got really old and probably too stiff to groom herself.

It was a struggle - I could manage about two minutes before she lashed out! If we ever get another longhair I will try to acclimatise them to grooming.

My OH has taken to grooming Paddy every so often with a furminator. He seems to enjoy it and there are fewer puked-up furballs.

I don't have a longhair but I specifically went for shorthairs because most longhairs are higher maintenance - some can get away without regular grooming, but some can get matted fur if they aren't combed regularly (3 times a week is recommended) and if the fur matts it can cause sores and require veterinary attention.

Eg. our friends' Norwegian Forest Cat needs to be combed (not brushed, combing is better at removing tangles) several times a week.

stavros Stan's long-haired and very averse to grooming. His love of standing outside in the rain then rolling about in the floor turns his fur to felt, and is very difficult to de-mat. Trying to cut out the matted bits is awful - distressed, violent cat + sharp implements never ends well.

We had him shaved last year whilst he was under anaesthetic for something else - best thing ever. He was like a new cat for a while. Now it's getting long again and I'm wondering how we're going to manage it again this year - he is old now, and anaesthetic isn't good for him, so I don't think we can have another haircut.

I'd ask probing questions about the cat's willingness to acquiesce to regular grooming. If he's been groomed all his life, it might be fine. If he's been living on the wild side, it might be a struggle. At least you can see he's long-haired. CPL had clipped Stan and told us he was short-haired. :rolleyes:

(and before you all start recommending your favourite grooming tools, we have them all, most don't even get through his fur, even if we could get close enough)

I believe there are also ways to tackle the problem from the inside with special longhair-specific foods / or a delicious paste which contains enough fish oils (or something) to limit hairballs. Used the paste with my old shorthair who was prone to building up massive hairballs and puking them up mixed with mouse/bird bird organs and it did help.

stavros Stan's long-haired and very averse to grooming. His love of standing outside in the rain then rolling about in the floor turns his fur to felt, and is very difficult to de-mat. Trying to cut out the matted bits is awful - distressed, violent cat + sharp implements never ends well.

We had him shaved last year whilst he was under anaesthetic for something else - best thing ever. He was like a new cat for a while. Now it's getting long again and I'm wondering how we're going to manage it again this year - he is old now, and anaesthetic isn't good for him, so I don't think we can have another haircut.

I'd ask probing questions about the cat's willingness to acquiesce to regular grooming. If he's been groomed all his life, it might be fine. If he's been living on the wild side, it might be a struggle. At least you can see he's long-haired. CPL had clipped Stan and told us he was short-haired. :rolleyes:

(and before you all start recommending your favourite grooming tools, we have them all, most don't even get through his fur, even if we could get close enough)
I sympathise. Despite my attempts to groom our late Tiggy, she needed to be clipped/shaved several times. The fur on her hips ended up really felted and even me trying to be very gentle, with blunt-ended scissors, was no good.

ION, I have given up trying to give Zoe pills and she is now on the hyperthyroid medicine in ear gel form. She's not keen, but it's doable and it's easier to do.

Is this a new thing? If it had been around when I had to pill my two, I'd have been spared an infected finger from a car bite.

I've never tried a transdermal gel but I do know that none of mine have been OK with having their ears touched (Jakey tolerates it briefly, Sonic was a right fusspot about his ears though and it was not ok) so I think it depends on the cat whether it might be easier.

Is this a new thing? If it had been around when I had to pill my two, I'd have been spared an infected finger from a car bite.

I've never tried a transdermal gel but I do know that none of mine have been OK with having their ears touched (Jakey tolerates it briefly, Sonic was a right fusspot about his ears though and it was not ok) so I think it depends on the cat whether it might be easier.
ouirdeaux Not sure if it's new - I suspect it may be new-ish. She was only diagnosed a couple of months ago. Cat bites - ow! Luckily Zoe never tried to bite me, probably because we never tried putting the pill in her mouth directly as with her being such an awkward cat (loveable, but awkward!) we knew it was doomed to failure.

Epona one of the reasons I was hesitant about the ear gel is that Zoe likes having her ears rubbed and that pleasure is gone (for both of us :( ). Just having to make up for it with more chin strokes and belly rubs.

The bite was less painful than the average cat scratch. It was the humiliating consequences -- the receptionist who thought I wanted the sexual health clinic ('I have been bitten by a cat! We do not have that kind of relationship!') and the stern lecture of the doctor at the walk-in clinic that left the real, even f metaphorical, scars.

I met a super fancy cat the other day. It lives in Belgravia, that's how you know it's super fancy. It also looks the part. Some sort of silver bengal leopard. It was biggish but not stocky and mildly aloof. It didn't talk much. Any ideas what kind of super fancy cat it was? It was also too fast for good pics :D

Attachments

• IMG_20220302_174333843.jpg
    IMG_20220302_174333843.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220302_174402931.jpg
    IMG_20220302_174402931.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220302_174357604.jpg
    IMG_20220302_174357604.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20220302_174429224.jpg
    IMG_20220302_174429224.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20220302_174224785.jpg
    IMG_20220302_174224785.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 28
I met a super fancy cat the other day. It lives in Belgravia, that's how you know it's super fancy. It also looks the part. Some sort of silver bengal leopard. It was biggish but not stocky and mildly aloof. It didn't talk much. Any ideas what kind of super fancy cat it was? It was also too fast for good pics :D

Bengal.

They are originally a hybrid between domestic cats (eg the spotted Egyptian Mau) and the Asian Leopard Cat, which is a slightly larger wild cat with spotted leopard-like markings. The Bengals that you see today though are many generations removed from the original hybrids and are just considered a breed of domestic cat.

They are very very lively and energetic and the beautiful markings in those photos are typical of the breed.

Back
Top Bottom