Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

Oh god that's adorable! All The Floof :D

Our friends have an NFC, lovely cats, friendly and playful. Not for me as they are not lap-cats (probably a good thing due to the size they end up) and I do like a cat to want to be all over me. They are really lovely though :) ❤️
The litter has 3 white and tabbies like that one (two with grey noses, one with a white nose) and two pure white like their mum, all boys.

These are our new arrivals, Addie and Mac. Mac lost an eye to cat 'flu. They're still hiding in their basket a lot of the time, but they did come out earlier today and have a bit of an explore. These are our first two since Lou and Nico died a couple of years ago. Mac was very cross that I'd poked a camera into his territory and Addie just wanted to go back to sleep.

DSC_1954.jpg

These are our new arrivals, Addie and Mac. Mac lost an eye to cat 'flu. They're still hiding in their basket a lot of the time, but they did come out earlier today and have a bit of an explore. These are our first two since Lou and Nico died a couple of years ago. Mac was very cross that I'd poked a camera into his territory and Addie just wanted to go back to sleep.

View attachment 308085
The markings on his body and the roaning (mixing of white hairs in the black fur) are very reminiscent of my much-missed Radar, I hope they settle in soon!

I am assuming if he lost his eye that is due to Feline Herpesvirus - there are several different viruses that cause "Cat Flu" but that one (like similar viruses in humans, if they attack the eyes) can result in severe corneal damage. Poor love. If it is that virus, it can lie dormant (much like chicken pox/shingles) and flare up again later in life, having a good diet and low-stress environment can help prevent flare-ups.

The girls having a sunday afternoon rest

PXL-20220130-132341228-01.jpg

View attachment 308085

welcome, Addie and Mac

😺 😺

The markings on his body and the roaning (mixing of white hairs in the black fur) are very reminiscent of my much-missed Radar, I hope they settle in soon!

I am assuming if he lost his eye that is due to Feline Herpesvirus - there are several different viruses that cause "Cat Flu" but that one (like similar viruses in humans, if they attack the eyes) can result in severe corneal damage. Poor love. If it is that virus, it can lie dormant (much like chicken pox/shingles) and flare up again later in life, having a good diet and low-stress environment can help prevent flare-ups.
Yes, we were told there could be problems later on. We'll just keep our paws crossed.

Oh god that's adorable! All The Floof :D

Our friends have an NFC, lovely cats, friendly and playful. Not for me as they are not lap-cats (probably a good thing due to the size they end up) and I do like a cat to want to be all over me. They are really lovely though :) ❤️
Friend also has 6 full grown ones (she's setting up as breeder) at least 3 of them do seem to be very cuddly. She says that NFCs are cats that look like they could start talking to you at any moment and they really do!

Friend also has 6 full grown ones (she's setting up as breeder) at least 3 of them do seem to be very cuddly. She says that NFCs are cats that look like they could start talking to you at any moment and they really do!

They like people but aren't generally known for being cuddly, in comparison to say OSH which is what I have (well down to 1 now :( ) - they have to be on you all the time. :D

After just over a week, Esteé is settling in well. She spends less time under the bed, plays with her feather & string and her ball, uses her scratching post, and shows affection towards me. She's still a little nervous at times, and doesn't like being approached first, but she's doing well.

_0221697_1s.JPG

Her previous owner gave her two or three sachets of food a day and left dry food down for her to pick at. She's a bit fat, but she's nine years old, so I don't want to upset her with a sudden diet. I'm trying to cut down to one sachet and some dry food. Does that sound sensible?

After just over a week, Esteé is settling in well. She spends less time under the bed, plays with her feather & string and her ball, uses her scratching post, and shows affection towards me. She's still a little nervous at times, and doesn't like being approached first, but she's doing well.

View attachment 308158

Her previous owner gave her two or three sachets of food a day and left dry food down for her to pick at. She's a bit fat, but she's nine years old, so I don't want to upset her with a sudden diet. I'm trying to cut down to one sachet and some dry food. Does that sound sensible?
I’d be more inclined to keep her wet food intake high and restrict the dry food.
She’s a beauty!

View attachment 308158

Maybe take her to the vet and see what they advise regards her weight. Agree about the sudden diet caution while she is still settling in.

View attachment 308158

Pretty much all cat food has feeding guidelines

For our three, Fifi in particular, I've been weighing the dry food I've been giving them to control their weight

I have to be super cautious with Fifi's for as she's diabetic and has twice daily insulin injection, so if she under eats there's a very real danger of her hypo'ing with too much insulin versus the amount of food she's eaten - so an accurate scales is a necessity as just giving her a "good handful" is nowhere near accurate or consistent enough

For her weight she's meant to have 60g of biscuits per day, so she gets 2 feeds of 30g at "around" 6:30 morning and evening - she's also got a cat feeder with a lid that only opens for her (coded to the chip in her) so I know it's only her who's eating the food

Her weight is pretty stable "around" 5kg - that's a bit on the heavy side for her, she's not a 5kg cat only we let her free eat when she was initially diagnosed and she'd often eat "north" of 50-60g of biscuits PER MEAL, but she seems happy enough

Just make sure that Esteé has access to water and keep an eye on how much she's drinking as for one sachet that sounds a bit "near"

I've just checked a 400g tin of cat food (normal size "soup" can) and the feeding guidelines are:-

An average 4kg cat needs approx 1 x 400g of food per day blah blah blah - and the highly amusing bit - cats regulate their food intake and seldom overeat😂🤣 - which is total bollocks - every cat I've ever had would eat until they could eat no more

Esteé's an absolute darling by the way

And we do have some sachets of food and again, the feeding instructions for a 4kg cat are 3 sachets per day = NO MENTION of biscuits so if you want go do some of each adjust accordingly, best guess one sachet morning and evening and 10g of biscuits left down for grazing

As per the water I asked out vet how much "too much" drinking is and was told FOR THREE CATS 250ml of water per cat per day was fine any more and there's too much drinking going on - our three don't drink anywhere near that so are probably drinking "correctly"

And we do have some sachets of food and again, the feeding instructions for a 4kg cat are 3 sachets per day = NO MENTION of biscuits so if you want go do some of each adjust accordingly, best guess one sachet morning and evening and 10g of biscuits left down for grazing

As per the water I asked out vet how much "too much" drinking is and was told FOR THREE CATS 250ml of water per cat per day was fine any more and there's too much drinking going on - our three don't drink anywhere near that so are probably drinking "correctly"

Thanks for the replies. A trip to the vet is definitely on the cards as she needs her vaccinations updating too. She seems to drink frequently but not a great quantity, and she's not, so far, been a fussy eater. I'll keep the board informed :)

View attachment 308158

She is adorable!!

Thanks for the replies. A trip to the vet is definitely on the cards as she needs her vaccinations updating too. She seems to drink frequently but not a great quantity, and she's not, so far, been a fussy eater. I'll keep the board informed :)

One thing is to help her get more exercise too, you've mentioned that she likes playing with her toys which is a good start - have a look at puzzle feeders, I think keep up the wet food but restrict the dry to only give her a measured portion each day, and try using a puzzle feeder for the dry portion so that she has to work a bit for it and exercise while eating - it also appeals to their natural hunting instincts if they have to be more active about getting their food so is good for their emotional wellbeing too :)

I also agree with the others to see what the vet says and let her settle in before making any changes - she looks like a British Shorthair and they tend to be a bit more stocky in the first place, and their dense fur adds to the effect - if you think she is overweight then she probably is, she does look a little round to me too, but your vet will be able to give you a better indication of her target weight and a timescale and plan for getting her there.

Best of luck, she's a lovely looking creature and has obviously got lucky finding a caring new human to look after her and love her :)

I also agree with the others to see what the vet says and let her settle in before making any changes - she looks like a British Shorthair and they tend to be a bit more stocky in the first place, and their dense fur adds to the effect - if you think she is overweight then she probably is, she does look a little round to me too, but your vet will be able to give you a better indication of her target weight and a timescale and plan for getting her there.

Best of luck, she's a lovely looking creature and has obviously got lucky finding a caring new human to look after her and love her :)

Thanks! I'll have a look for a puzzle feeder.

Jakey used to have a bit of a weight problem - he was a bit food aggressive when he first came to us, and had clearly been overeating because he was, while not clinically obese, a little bit rotund for an OSH.

We had to feed him separately from the others for about a year because he would get quite nasty to them around the food bowls and chase them away from their food, then eat too much too fast and make himself sick - when it became clear after a few days that this was not going to be solved overnight we started feeding him in a large dog crate, so the others could eat at their own pace without being disturbed, and they could still see one another while eating (which is a good thing when introducing cats, as being able to eat together without aggression or fear is a positive thing for their relationships, even if you have to force it by use of a mesh door or crate at first - the aggressor is only in there for 10 minutes at a time during mealtimes and they quickly associate going in there with getting food so it becomes a positive thing - also handy to have a crate and get them used to it with a positive association in case they ever need to have their activity limited after surgery or an injury, or spend overnight in a hospital cage at the vets.

He did eventually settle down - he was well cared for and very much loved in his previous home so this wasn't something that came from lack of food previously - I think it was just the new home with 2 cats that he didn't know plus the fact he'd only just been neutered (he was a stud beforehand).

His weight has been up and down over the years, we have occasionally had to restrict his food a bit (which was not easy in a multi-cat household but as above feeding him in a crate if he was on a diet was fine, alas he is our only one now) but for the last 5 years (he's 15 tomorrow) he's been more or less self regulating.

Honestly given that my Radar went through that period of anorexia following major surgery and had to have a feeding tube for nearly 2 months, and Sonic wasn't eating properly in his last week, there are worse problems to have than them being a bit too keen on their grub, not eating is far far worse to resolve. It is important to get it under control though for their health - just be disciplined about portion control and set a routine for mealtimes so they know when to expect food. For cats that go outdoors, put a paper collar on letting people know not to feed them as they are on a diet.

Last edited:
Estee is a bit roly poly and portly looking (and lovely - she looks like the softest plushest cat in the world!) but if she's moving well (can jump and play and clean herself etc) then yeah, maybe best not to rush it ... combining a total relocation with a crash diet all at once might be asking too much. Gradually reducing wet food or (better for the kidneys I think) rationing out the kibble carefully would be better than a sudden reduction. (for comparison - my old, very active indoor/outdoor large male mog would eat at least 3, maybe 4 pouches a day and free fed dry food, as he wouldn't overeat the dry by choice .. so 3 pouches and dry /day is on the heftier end of cat dieting. Maybe get her down to 2/day, slowly?

Back
Top Bottom